Wiring the DSR-905 HELP!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

oldscorer

Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Chepachet, RI
This is my 1st time posting anything anywhere; I'm newer than a "newbie" so be patient
I have a Toshiba TRX-1820 and just purchased (ebay) a Motorola DSR-905.
I have a perfectly good 14' dish, the TRX has been working just fine and I was
too cheap to purchase the -922.
I tried for 3 days to wire these things and all I accomplished was erasing the
programmed positions of all my favorite satellites. I've reprogrammed them back in
but I now realize I haven't the foggiest idea what wires go from the receiver to the sidecar. Terminology has me baffled ( well, at THIS point, everything has me
scratching my head and gritting my teeth)
On the back of the receiver I have a thin orange wire for "actuator return pulse"
a blue wire for it's ground, a +5V supply for the polarizer, brown for the polarizer and a black wire for ground. But on the rear of the sidecar, it has a "Skew In" and a "Skew Out" as well as a "CH/KV" In and out.
The manual for the 905 states that sometimes the "skew" is labeled "pulse" on
some receivers. I have only one, IN and not a Skew In and a Skew Out.
I also have, on the back of the receiver, 2 heavier wires, black (M1)and red (M2),
which controls the East and West motor direction limits. I'm assuming they stay
wired to the receiver only.
Can anyone help me?
Oldscorer

oldscorer said:
This is my 1st time posting anything anywhere; I'm newer than a "newbie" so be patient
I have a Toshiba TRX-1820 and just purchased (ebay) a Motorola DSR-905.
I have a perfectly good 14' dish, the TRX has been working just fine and I was
too cheap to purchase the -922.
I tried for 3 days to wire these things and all I accomplished was erasing the
programmed positions of all my favorite satellites. I've reprogrammed them back in
but I now realize I haven't the foggiest idea what wires go from the receiver to the sidecar. Terminology has me baffled ( well, at THIS point, everything has me
scratching my head and gritting my teeth)
On the back of the receiver I have a thin orange wire for "actuator return pulse"
a blue wire for it's ground, a +5V supply for the polarizer, brown for the polarizer and a black wire for ground. But on the rear of the sidecar, it has a "Skew In" and a "Skew Out" as well as a "CH/KV" In and out.
The manual for the 905 states that sometimes the "skew" is labeled "pulse" on
some receivers. I have only one, IN and not a Skew In and a Skew Out.
I also have, on the back of the receiver, 2 heavier wires, black (M1)and red (M2),
which controls the East and West motor direction limits. I'm assuming they stay
wired to the receiver only.
Can anyone help me?
Oldscorer
Don't know if you have the connections installation manual...here is a link with pretty good diagrams.

http://www.4dtvforum.com/doc/905 Connections.pdf

It appears that the analog receiver keeps control of the MOTOR (2 thick wires) and slaves control of the skew etc to the Sidecar?

I have never done a sidecar but between everyone here, you will get up and running!

Hope the link helps
Jeff

Thanks for the fast reply.
The DSR-905 is new and shipped with all the manuals. But the terminology has me stumped; ie The manual shows me where the wires for Skew in and Skew out go, but my receiver doesn't have anything labelled as such.
I really don't mind spending a whole weekend trying to figure things out by trial and error; I just don't want to end up frying my equipment with my ignorance.
I'm still trying to figure out why one has to "download a map". (I haven't read that chapter yet!) But, thanks again
Beverly

I think....

oldscorer said:
Thanks for the fast reply.
The DSR-905 is new and shipped with all the manuals. But the terminology has me stumped; ie The manual shows me where the wires for Skew in and Skew out go, but my receiver doesn't have anything labelled as such.
I really don't mind spending a whole weekend trying to figure things out by trial and error; I just don't want to end up frying my equipment with my ignorance.
I'm still trying to figure out why one has to "download a map". (I haven't read that chapter yet!) But, thanks again
Beverly
If I see this correctly, looks like the skew/polarotor are first connected to the 920 and then a slave connection to the existing....Am I getting close here...if so, I will read the manual to see if I can help.

it would appear that the original receiver continues to control the motor drive positioner....then the skew\ Co-Rotor is handled by the Sidecar? When I skimmed the manual that is what it looked like, and that would make sense, since fine tuning a digital channel requires tuning by the quality meter/ not the signal meter and the old receiver is presumed not to have a quality meter or ability to set skew on a digital channel)?
\
When you download a map it is for the Sidecar/920-922 to see the channels and satellites, not necessarily as your old receiver saw then!

Do you get the guide ability with the sidecar? Then it would really become interesting...The sidecar would have to have a way to tell the Old receiver with motor control to move the dish to G1 and the Sidecar would change the channel to 03! Doesn't look to hard to do....of course we are dealing with Mo****** here.

Keep us posted
regards
jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to frustrate you completely, but I don't know what "skew" means. But I also
thought that the polarizer control should be slaved. (according to the diagram for an LBN connection) But what wires from my receiver are connected to "skew in" and skew out" . My Toshiba receiver has five (5) wires and none of them say "skew". However, 1 one the 5 is for the actuator pulse return (in). I also have an "output control for the polarizer". Are these the skews I'm suppose to be connecting? It also looks like I'm suppose to slave my East/West limit controls as well.
You mention "guide ability". I quickly scanned the manual and it says my analog
receiver will retain control over dish movement. Is that what you meant?
Gosh, I can't wait until I get to try to progam this baby!
I appreciate your help
Bev

Usually

oldscorer said:
Not to frustrate you completely, but I don't know what "skew" means. But I also
thought that the polarizer control should be slaved. (according to the diagram for an LBN connection) But what wires from my receiver are connected to "skew in" and skew out" . My Toshiba receiver has five (5) wires and none of them say "skew". However, 1 one the 5 is for the actuator pulse return (in). I also have an "output control for the polarizer". Are these the skews I'm suppose to be connecting? It also looks like I'm suppose to slave my East/West limit controls as well.
You mention "guide ability". I quickly scanned the manual and it says my analog
receiver will retain control over dish movement. Is that what you meant?
Gosh, I can't wait until I get to try to progam this baby!
I appreciate your help
Bev

Hi again

The Guide is a TV GUIDE affair also known as an IPG. It is downloaded at night if the dish is allowed to move to pick it up. Currently guide info comes from G1 ch 03. You would have a button on your remote says guide and if pressed, the guide screen would come up...does not sound as though the sidecar has it though.

I will read your manual in the morning and repost

jeff

Last edited:
Wiring continued

Ok...Have had a look and most of the trouble appears to be the way the same connections are verbalized by the 2 units manuals/labels.

See #11, 12 on page 16 of the sidecar's connections manual for descriptions.

The following is the color scheme on my setup w/ 922. You MUST verify colors on your own setup or by goiing out to the dish.

My set...the thin blue wire goes to the Pulse (in) and thin brown goes to the ground (the other terminal +5V is not used. THESE WIRES CONTROL THE SERVO MOTOR OUTSIDE THAT SHIFTS THE LITTLE L SHAPED POLARITY Device (by actuating the servo motor) in your feedhorn (skew control)

The balance of the 3 thin (red.white,black) wires are used to control the Polorizer. The 2 THICK Motor control wires stay with your current receiver. Of course your harness may have different colors or be hooked up differently.

Forget my suggestion on taking PART OF YOUR EXISTING HARNESS AND CUTTING OFF A LENGTH (HARNESS IS SUPPOSED TO BE INCLUDED WITH THE 905.)

THESE 5 THIN WIRES ARE REMOVED FROM YOUR CURRENT SET AND RE ATTACHED TO THE SIDECAR'S "IN" TERMINALS. THE
SIDECAR'S TERMINALS (out) THEN REATTACHED TO THE CORRESPONDING skew/polorator terminals that you disconnected on the old receiver.

it seems that when the sidecar is active your toshiba cannot control the skew/polorator, but if the Sidecar is in standby, the the toshiba can. I have no idea why you would want that but whatever they call out. The sidecar should be an improvement (tuner wise aside from giving you the virtual digital channels)

I have my old Toshiba receiver coming back this week....It was a great unit for its time...shame to see it relagated to becoming a dish positioner...but what a great display!!!

Motorola is not really good at manuals so do not feel bad. The HDD200 Hi-definition adaptor's manual is not too good either.

Think of how good you will feel once it is completed!!!!

Hope this helps a little. If you wish, PM me and we can arrange to voice chat if need be!
regards
Jeff

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts