Wiring up the receiver and confused!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
madpoet said:
I wonder how strong that arm is... i.e. could I lean a ladder against it for support and not break it or the dish :)

Hey madpoet,
I really hope you get your dish going and I also hope you have a better understanding of the in's and out's of your receiver after our long correspondence yesterday. Once your system (you can actually get a picture) is up and running you will find the 4dtv is not that diffulcult to program and operate.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Well I tested the cable run, and it's no good. And when I removed the connector water came out ;). So I'm pulling new coax today to see if that fixes the issue. I tested from the base of the mast up and got a closed cable and voltage on the line which is a good thing! I'll let you guys know how it goes. I do apprecaite all the help :)

Ok... I have a measure of success :). I have signal strength now! But I'm having a real hard time figuring out how to best tune this thing. I set it for G1 Channel 5 and just started moving it up and down the numbers. Eventually however I get some sort of lock on the channel (I heard some classical music) but I got nothing for picture. And since the screen blanks out when it locks in then I can't see the tuner screen anymore either! So why does the menu overlay not stay on (I am connected with SVideo) and how the heck do I tune this thing the right way! What should I be looking for signal strenghts? 64 is where it seems to lock into the channel. And why am I not seeing a picture on the channels where I have sound? Veyr confused :( Happy that I see signal strength however!

Not sure on the picture thing myself... seems a bit crazy. Haven't been able to figure out what I need to do to fix that situation.

madpoet said:
Ok... I have a measure of success :). I have signal strength now! But I'm having a real hard time figuring out how to best tune this thing. I set it for G1 Channel 5 and just started moving it up and down the numbers. Eventually however I get some sort of lock on the channel (I heard some classical music) but I got nothing for picture. And since the screen blanks out when it locks in then I can't see the tuner screen anymore either! So why does the menu overlay not stay on (I am connected with SVideo) and how the heck do I tune this thing the right way! What should I be looking for signal strenghts? 64 is where it seems to lock into the channel. And why am I not seeing a picture on the channels where I have sound? Veyr confused :( Happy that I see signal strength however!

Great news, Try connecting your tv using composite (rca) cables instead of s-video. Also since you did a master reset you also may need to adjust your polarity(skew) to really clean up the arts channel

Ok, I'll try composite now. I have a question on the skew... what is it :). And why can I only adjust one of the numbers? The H is adjustable but the V isn't?

I'm still not convinced I'm finding a good signal spot, but then I don't know exactly what signal strength I should expect. I seem to be able to hit the same strength at several points along the path, so I'm confused about that. Still, very pleased to be making progress!

Each transponder uses a different polarity (h or v). So the arts channel is on a horizontal transponder therefore horizontal is the only thing you can and need to adjust. But if you went up to channel 6 (by the way nothing on that channel) that uses vertical polarity you will then be able to adjust the v skew. example: channel 1 h, channel 2 v, channel 3 h and so on.........

Last edited:
Not sure I understand the question, but you can only adjust H on an H polarity channel and you can only adjust V on a V polarity channel, you can't do them together on the same channel. When you go through "Options" to go to "Program Satellites", and you're on #4 "Skew" , you can only adjust one, you can use the channel up/down and go to another channel and change the other polarity. Hope this helps.

Al

After you do get a good picture on ARTS you then need to turn to channel 3 and see if you can get the dc light to come on the front of the receiver. And again you will not care about signal strength but rather "quality" shown next to signal in the program sat menu. I think you have a dsr 920 so you will need your quality at about 15 maybe a little more or less to download maps and guide.

I have a picture! Composite for some reason works fine, not sure what is going on with SVideo. It displayed the menus without issue but the actual picture doesn't show. I adjusted it for the best picture I could. Looked decent, though composite isn't exactly the best connection. I cannot however get the DC light to lock for the life of me :(. I'll spend some more time fiddling. I did get C3 tuned at least a little (I was watching some Nova program for a bit). The wife was FINALLY impressed with this thing. She said "Wait a minute, you mean we get stuff for free?" ;)

Great job. Galaxy 1 is kind of tough. I beleive the 920 has a issue with the s-video cant remeber the specifics though. If there is no way you can lock g1 3 all hope is not lost as there are other sats (much stronger) and channels that you can download the maps from and also get a hit from your provider.

Excellent, good to hear. I'll keep fiddling with it for now. Should I be doing it from the satellite adjust menu or the channel adjust?

Once I get a HDD200, will everything output from that box (SD and HD) or just HD?

Do it in the program sat menu because you will then be able to adjust the skew also.You can also use the auto adjust (auto peak dish,auto peak skew) Yes the HDD-200 will output both hd and sd.

Also when you are adjusting the skew does it make a difference (have any affect) in the picture that you are seeing. If not your polorizer motor could be bad. Another way to check if it is okay is "Are you getting both Horizontal and Vertical channels on same sat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)