Wiring

robertswilson

Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
My neighborhood has been wired for FIOS, but Verizon has not activated it yet. Concurrently, I am in the process of a major renovation and I am wiring my entire house to support FIOS once it is activated. I can't get DirecTV HD (surrounded by trees), and cable is a joke so I am 100% getting FIOS as soon as I can.

My question is, what type of wiring should I run through the house. Is it coaxial? If so, I imagine it would be RG6 (DTV), and not the lower one like cable (RG59).

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for the help.

My neighborhood has been wired for FIOS, but Verizon has not activated it yet. Concurrently, I am in the process of a major renovation and I am wiring my entire house to support FIOS once it is activated. I can't get DirecTV HD (surrounded by trees), and cable is a joke so I am 100% getting FIOS as soon as I can.

My question is, what type of wiring should I run through the house. Is it coaxial? If so, I imagine it would be RG6 (DTV), and not the lower one like cable (RG59).

Am I on the right track?

That sounds right. I got Fios on Spet. 5 and I had no special wiring...just what was there when I had Comcastsucks. YOu might also want to run CAT5 (CAT6 maybe?) b/c the router that V* provides has four ports for hardwired netowrking in addition to wireless capability. Enjoy FIOS...just don't look for an explosion of HD channels from them anytime soon.

Am I on the right track?

OK, here is what you will need.

From outside home to a garage plug a cat 5-6 cable.

To each room from a distribution point RG59.

From outside to distribution point RG59 and 2 Cat 5-6.

If you want any hard wired ports in the home additional cat 5-6 to those rooms.

Now, all you really need is the Coax from outside to the home, but this means that you will get installed with their mojo, or whatever the accronym is. While this works, I prefer to have each service dedicated rather than split on a sngle coax.

Am I on the right track?

OK, here is what you will need.

From outside home to a garage plug a cat 5-6 cable.

To each room from a distribution point RG59.

From outside to distribution point RG59 and 2 Cat 5-6.

If you want any hard wired ports in the home additional cat 5-6 to those rooms.

Now, all you really need is the Coax from outside to the home, but this means that you will get installed with their mojo, or whatever the accronym is. While this works, I prefer to have each service dedicated rather than split on a sngle coax.

Hope this helps. I could offer more advice if I had more time but I am boarding a plane now.

I can't see why to install RG59. If you are going to the trouble of adding the wiring, go with RG6 throughout. It is not that much more expensive and is much better quality.

Note that Verizon planned on hijacking my existing cable when the came for my install a few weeks ago. I had them run 2 new lines to where I wanted the Fios TV access. I was told they used triple shielded RG6.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)