Wirless Phone Jacks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Alto101

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 15, 2005
Louisville, KY
I am sure that this has been discussed, so if someone can provide me with a link that is all I need.

I just had a 625 installed in my bedroom and the phone jack is on the opposite side of the room. I don't want to pay the $4.99 monthly fee for not having it connected to a phone line and I don't want to relocate the phone jack. I would like to purchase one of the wireless phone jacks. What I am looking for is advice on which model to purchase and where to find it at a low price. I have a standard phone system - no Vonage yet... Also, I use cordless phones - one uses 5.8 GHz and the other 2.4 GHz. Neither phone is located in the bedroom. I also have wireless networking but the access point is located downstairs so I am not anticipating much interference from that.

I believe at one time dish was giving these away to people who didn't have a phone jack next to the receiver. You might call them up an ask. You could get lucky and get them for free.

I use one of the RCA wireless jacks with a 522. Works fine except the caller ID function does not work. Anyone had any success getting the caller ID to work with a wireless jack?

When I got my dish installed, the Dish guy installed the one for me, He said it will cost 39.99, but when the bill came they charged me only 20$.

Alto101 said:
I don't want to pay the $4.99 monthly fee for not having it connected to a phone line
Yikes! Is this real? (No, I haven't read my customer agreement or any of the paperwork stuff -- life's too short). Do they actually enforce this? Anyone been charged this fee?

BTW, is it true that ya need to be hooked up to a phone line to order PPV?

I know an installer who only hooks up the phone line at the install (he has a 100 ft phone line just for this purpose) then tells the CSR that it's hooked up to a phone line after the reciever checks for it. When he leaves, it's NOT hooked up. I'm almost 100% certain that this will prevent Dish from charging $5 for the FIRST month, but I'm not sure about subsequent months. I've never done this. What I do is I tell the CSR that it's not hooked to a phone line (when there isn't one within 25'), and at THAT point they tell me they are adding the $5 charge. Who knows, maybe (if your reciever isn't asking for the phone connection) you can skip the phone crap all together with no consequences??

I'm under the impression that it WILL auto detect when a phone line is connected, and stop charging the $5. It's a fair assumption to say that the reverse is also true.

TheTimm said:
Yikes! Is this real? (No, I haven't read my customer agreement or any of the paperwork stuff -- life's too short). Do they actually enforce this? Anyone been charged this fee?

They say they'll enforce it. Haven't ordered any PPV yet, but I like the caller ID on screen anyway. Make sure to get a wireless phone jack that supports caller ID, nice feature for most all satellite receivers. I picked up my first one at Radio Shack and turned out not to support caller ID, had to return and bought one off Amazon.

I just ordered a RCA RC930 off of eBay for around $30 shipped. It is not new in the box, but the seller has excellent feedback and a DOA policy so I am pretty confident. When we turned the 625 on last night it gave us the message that a phone line needs to be connected to avoid the fee. If Dish charges us the fee for the first month, I will call them and tell them that the wireless phone jack is on the way. I hate wasting money on unnecessary fees.

webtent said:
They say they'll enforce it. Haven't ordered any PPV yet, but I like the caller ID on screen anyway. Make sure to get a wireless phone jack that supports caller ID, nice feature for most all satellite receivers. I picked up my first one at Radio Shack and turned out not to support caller ID, had to return and bought one off Amazon.

Our phone company wants several dollars a month for caller id so until we switch to something like Vonage - no caller ID for us. For as little as we use the phone - it is very annoying to pay $30 each month. Vonage does not offer area codes in our area so I am waiting until they do before I make the switch.

TheTimm said:

You don't need a phone line connected to order PPV (you can call in instead and pay an extra buck) however you will pay the extra $5/mo for not having a dual tuner receiver hooked up to a phone jack either way.

Im using the PhoneX wireless jacks that Dish network sells. They have worked fine and The caller ID works part of the time but that seems to be a ongoing issue with the 522 based on reports here on the BBS.

Pay a few $ more and Buy the ones from Dish website for $39.99 and forget the ones on ebay.
They may have the same model and part number but the revision numbers are often older.
I have been told by Phonex that The older revisions had known problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)