With Google buying Motorola how will this affect the future of 4DTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
Also how will this affect the ACC?

I for one hope this is a positive move.

Yep, 4DTV/STB is part of Motorola Mobility, a spin-off that happened Jan 4,2011, coincidentally the day 4DTV officially died.

Moto has done doodly squat for c-banders since acquiring GI back in 1998-99? and let the market dry up. So, with google's deep pockets, you never know, there may be a c-bander up in the ranks there, who knows? They may even spin-off the STB division, which I believe would be best for folks like us. Google only wants MM s they can get their hands on MM's patents and pending patents.

And, the deal still has to be approved. But, either it will be more of the same or better, sure as hell can't be any worse-

I hate to be a downer, but I believe it will be more of the same, I don't really think they will give a second thought to the TVRO market. Unfortunately with the DEEP pockets of the cable companies, and programmers (I include DBS as cable, since they are cable on a stick) I do not belive that even Google could force their hands enough to allow us to be able to get master feeds anymore, even if they (Google) were to come out with a new, "4DTV" that got DCII, MPEG 2/4, and DVB. There simply would not be a big enough cut for all of the above. Unfortunately it is greed that has lead to the downfall of consumers being able to obtain master feeds of programming.

I am not sure Google wants the video business unless they want to jam google tv on every new mot box.

I think they will sell the video business off. I am only going Tobe worried if Cisco trys to buy it.

My hope is they will authorize the production a new dual function set top box.

That would allow the following

Cable TV
IP TV ( For the Google TV roll out they have in mind)
DVB / FTA
D-TV / Dish TV Ready
DC2

Remember folks Google's bottom line depends on advertising. They do not mind "Giving Away" services in exchange for ad revenue. Look no further then Google Voice.

Imagine watching cable television for free in exchange for watching a few adds and having your viewing patterns sent back to the mother ship. It's like 1960 all over again!

LOL!

Ya I think your right.

The sad fact is, I highly doubt that Google wants the set-top box, and cable headend division. I was joking when I said Echostar, but I would not be surprised at all, especially considering the buying spree that SATS has been on, if they did end up with the Motorola unit that used to be General Instrument.

I think your selling Google short. They have long wanted to enter the television or should we say video delivery business. Its the next logical step.

According to Bloomberg, (2011-08-09) Google controls 45 percent of the online web advertising business. Imagine what they could do if they controlled every Motorola set top box for both Cable and Satellite viewers.

I think your selling Google short. They have long wanted to enter the television or should we say video delivery business. Its the next logical step.

According to Bloomberg, (2011-08-09) Google controls 45 percent of the online web advertising business. Imagine what they could do if they controlled every Motorola set top box for both Cable and Satellite viewers.

There's something to this thought...Motorola equipment is used to feed cable plants etc. WHAT IF, Google take that on as an active business and use it for advertising and other Google products, that is a potentially MASSIVE captive audience!

There's something to this thought...Motorola equipment is used to feed cable plants etc. WHAT IF, Google take that on as an active business and use it for advertising and other Google products, that is a potentially MASSIVE captive audience!

Very possible but 4DTV and DC2 represent nearly 0 so they may just drop it as far as consumers are concerned. If not it would represent a major redevelopment and how many can afford C Band systems either by cash or proper location? From a business standpoint a no go. If Echostar / Dish got it they might consider a new receiver and service introduction but I doubt it. Development time would probably be in excess of a year. I hope I am wrong about this but I have bad feelings.

Google TRIED to enter radio automation for stations with ad sales and automatic insertion of commercials. It didn't fly. They sold it off. Just a sidebar comment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)