With the classic wrestling, can a guy catch GLOW, POWW, or LPWA on anywhere?

scarson79

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Just wondering if DISH or any of its channels carries the classic Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, Powerful Women of Wrestling, or Ladies Professional Wrestling Association. I also remember FLAIR: Fabulous Ladies in INternational Rings. Where can I catch these?

I thought I was a pretty true wrestling fan:

I can remember Sting getting attacked by Abdullah the Butcher when he came out of the big box. I can remember Sting attacking Cactus Jack after coming out of a big box.

I can remember the Four Horsemen kicking Sting out of the group.

I can remember it taking nine guys to steal Paul Bearer's urn and "kill off" the Undertaker for several months after the 1994 Royal Rumble.

And so much more...

But I guess I'm not the wrestling fan I thought I was because, up until now, I had never heard of any of those promotions. How old are they? I'm 25 (born in '82).

Cade

No, I had never heard of them until now! I can no longer brag about my "wrestling knowledge". How were those shows?

GLOW was the bomb :) Really bad womens wrestling.

Queen Kong of the Amazon (she was in Aerosmith's "love in an elevator" video)...huge lady

The woman known as Ivory from WWE was in GLOW as Tina Ferrari ;)

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,819
  • glow1.jpg
    glow1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 831
Alright... Well, I was going to stay off this topic but, since I'm 25 and I'm straight, I would be somewhat interested in knowing what kind of attire they chose! Where they good looking?

This was womens wrestling pre Vince and his "boob job broads" ....so they dressed like the womens wrestlers of the early-mid 80's. Very few had boob jobs :)

Here is the wiki on GLOW
Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right. POWW was similar but I thought it was a bit sexier - at least Nina was (Tina / GLOW; Ivory / WWE).

The sexiest was no doubt FLAIR. They went around into men's promotions and just had a mathc or two at a time. The bomb was definately Sunset Rose. She would always wear either a yellow one piece swimsuit (with "nice" cut-outs) or a white bikini. One match that stands out to me was when she was wrestling an arch nemisis of hers that had a male manager. After the match, the lucky guy got to hold her legs (while stomping her low).

Another pretty girl in that promotion (Honey Hunnington) had the same fate with the other girl and her manager.

Cade, you can probably find something for GLOW on YouTube somewhere as I figure you must already frequent that site because all ofthe moments you mention are on there.

This was womens wrestling pre Vince and his "boob job broads" ....so they dressed like the womens wrestlers of the early-mid 80's. Very few had boob jobs :)

see the photo above.

Here is the wiki on GLOW
Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the link. I see the pictures above now... I missed those the first go around. Some of the women actually do look attractive. Especially a few of the blonds... :D

Thanks again for the info...

Cade

Right. POWW was similar but I thought it was a bit sexier - at least Nina was (Tina / GLOW; Ivory / WWE).

The sexiest was no doubt FLAIR. They went around into men's promotions and just had a mathc or two at a time. The bomb was definately Sunset Rose. She would always wear either a yellow one piece swimsuit (with "nice" cut-outs) or a white bikini. One match that stands out to me was when she was wrestling an arch nemisis of hers that had a male manager. After the match, the lucky guy got to hold her legs (while stomping her low).

Another pretty girl in that promotion (Honey Hunnington) had the same fate with the other girl and her manager.

Cade, you can probably find something for GLOW on YouTube somewhere as I figure you must already frequent that site because all ofthe moments you mention are on there.

Thanks! I already looked it up on You Tube! I saw an army-marine girl beat up on a "southern-belle" blond. I started another match but the loading time was hideously slow. I did like that girl's outfit, though... It was the California Doll. Speaking of the low-blows you mention, the army-marine kicked the southern-belle pretty low twice in just a few seconds. I hadn't made it more than two minutes into the California Doll match and she had already been dragged crotch-first into the post and then pulled into the ropes just after that. While I don't know much about the promotion, I'm thinking those attacks must have been somewhat common in that promotion.

Cade

My favorite GLOW wrestler was the "Farmers Daughter" ;)

She was one of my favorite GLOW wrestlers too. I also liked Americana. :rolleyes: I can't resist but to tell a story about my dad and it does fit in with GLOW, POWW, and FLAIR. I don't think we ever saw LPWA. I have to begin by saying that my dad frequently drank when I was younger and, as most people do, it hit hardest on Saturday night. That was also when oe of our local stations showed wrestling from about 5 Sat. evening up until about 3 that morning. Also, we lived in a subdivision where houses were extremely close to one another and wrestling could fuel my fahters temper. :D I can remember many nights when Arn Anderson would do something that would piss my dad off beyond belief! He'd throw the TV guide at the television, scream obscenities, and threaten 'ol Arn for all the neighbors to hear. Dad never really got all that upset at GLOW and it was probably take it or leave it for POWW or FLAIR. But he always supported the "good". I don't remember seeing when the older man stomped Sunset Rose low but I remember it with ease for Honey Hunnington. Partly because she was so beautiful and because I was a 14 year old guy :p My dad had already had a few brews and when he spread Honey's legs, my dad loudly proclaimed "son-of-" out loud. After the stomp the neighbors knew that the ref was a dumb "son-of-" and that some girl, somewhere, had just been stomped in the "p----" Ah but still not one devious act he did to her or any women's match (or mens) would ever make him hate like Arn Anderson could! :D Dad would often curse Rick Flair and proclaim that Arn carried him.

"Double A" Arn Anderson never really got all of the credit he deserved. He was, in my opinion, one of the best wrestlers to ever step between the ropes. I think if you could label somebody as an all around "wrestler" (which would include technical skills and all of that stuff), Arn would be ideal. I also thought he had great interview skills.

Since we are on the topic of wrestling promotions... Which one was it where they'd use forks or spoons and stuff as foreign objects? I'm thinking it was shown on ESPN at one time. I'm not confusing it with AWA (I don't think) and I'm thinking it was the Global Wrestling Federation.

On the subject of the women: I can remember WOW (Women of Wrestling) from about three or four years ago. I don't remember much about it but I do remember a school teacher and the two lifeguards! :)

Cade

:D Dad would often curse Rick Flair and proclaim that Arn carried him.

My Dad was a preacher and hated Ric Flair more than anybody I know. Of course, he always hated Arn but I think it was primarily because of his association with Ric! I won't ever forget the night Sting was kicked out of the Four Horsemen! It's up on You Tube right now... Sting was the most gullible of the "good guys". Lex Luger ran a close second...

Cade

Since we are on the topic of wrestling promotions... Which one was it where they'd use forks or spoons and stuff as foreign objects? I'm thinking it was shown on ESPN at one time. I'm not confusing it with AWA (I don't think) and I'm thinking it was the Global Wrestling Federation.
heh? Maybe it was GWF....they took over in the Sportatorium after WCCW/USWA closed up down there. They turned it into the "Global Dome" and had Steve Austin (when he was Stunning), Soul Taker (Kama Mustafa aka the godfather) and Master of Pain (now known as the Undertaker) :)

On the subject of the women: I can remember WOW (Women of Wrestling) from about three or four years ago. I don't remember much about it but I do remember a school teacher and the two lifeguards! :)

Cade
I remember that too. We had it on Saturday afternoons on the local CBS station :)

There is also WEW (Womens Extreme Wrestling) out of Philly & Delaware. That stuff was crazy. They actually have "hardcore" matches (no get your mind of the gutter...not that hardcore)
Women's Extreme Wrestling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i just didn't like some of the skits they would do they weren't very funny like they wanted them to be..

My claim to wrestling "fame" is that I was at the TV taping of the AWA match where Hulk Hogan was being presented a trophy for a "tournament" he won in Japan, and Saito threw salt in his eyes and bashed him over the head with the trophy... and they carried hogan out on a stretcher... Hogan really did get an injury in that, but not on his head, he has a scar on his chest from that day..

That was also the day i realized wrestling was fake, not from that incident, but they taped 3 shows that evening, and Jake "the Milkman" Milliman, came out and got his butt kicked 3 times in 3 hours... but it was well worth the $5 to get in!

My claim to wrestling "fame" is that I was at the TV taping of the AWA match where Hulk Hogan was being presented a trophy for a "tournament" he won in Japan, and Saito threw salt in his eyes and bashed him over the head with the trophy... and they carried hogan out on a stretcher... Hogan really did get an injury in that, but not on his head, he has a scar on his chest from that day..

That was also the day i realized wrestling was fake, not from that incident, but they taped 3 shows that evening, and Jake "the Milkman" Milliman, came out and got his butt kicked 3 times in 3 hours... but it was well worth the $5 to get in!

I remember going to the St.Paul Civic Center (a.k.a The House that Hulk build) for wrestling as a kid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)