without signal on RTV on AMC 9 Ku @ 83 W (RTV, TUFF, PBJ)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, shoot...this is just proof I need me a bigger dish...

What do you think folks, will a 1.2 meter dish pull that puppy in using a CS5000 here in casper?
Yes. I'm using a motorized 1.2m Geosat Pro dish and it's doing a fantastic job!

Thank you Babadem.
For the last few posts I seen so far, it seems that folks with an microHD, S10 and azbox have at least a watchable signal.
Antenna size may matter also, we will see.

I just don't understand RTV and their signal issues, here in the eastern arc. You'd think that they'd want to have good, strong transponders, to get their product out there. Sure, their target audience is the over-the-air subchannel market, but don't you think that any audience is better then no audience? I'm sure the numbers watching on C/Ku band are less then 1% of the people they are trying to reach, but still, it must cause problems for some of the affiliates who are downlinking the same signal.

The affiliates have not had any of the problems that viewers on this forum (and others) have been reporting. It seems like only certain makes/models of receivers used by home viewers are experiencing issues that result in unwatchable signals. My TeVii S660 still provides perfectly watchable reception, for example. I have yet to test it with any of my other receivers.

- Trip

Yes, I still get watchable reception 90% of the time but the signal definitely seems weaker and less stable. It's good information to know, especially if it's your true south Sat like mine, so that you don't pull your hair out tweaking your dish trying to get 75% Quality when it "just ain't there."

I got my signal back up regular strength. 60+
Apparently my dish was moved by strong wing
It's a 36" dish.I ended up putting side stablizers on the arm.It wasn't the first time it moved.Should be good to go

I got my signal back up regular strength. 60+
Apparently my dish was moved by strong wing
It's a 36" dish.I ended up putting side stablizers on the arm.It wasn't the first time it moved.Should be good to go

What receiver are you using ?

Commercial customers have bigger dishes for ku than most of us, I would think. I wonder if they use prime-focus for commercial ku dishes or offset like we use.

The affiliates have not had any of the problems that viewers on this forum (and others) have been reporting. It seems like only certain makes/models of receivers used by home viewers are experiencing issues that result in unwatchable signals. My TeVii S660 still provides perfectly watchable reception, for example. I have yet to test it with any of my other receivers.

- Trip

Come on! Blaming the receiver is non sense. I would lose signal when it rained, of course anything that wasn't rtv, tuff, or pbj actually was still working, so no, it's not the receiver!

I tweaked my dish today, but not a pixel visible from RTV on Ku anymore. There is an NBC slate on 83W. Without the formerly reliable RTV, this makes it tough for those installing motors in the far east where 83W is my "due south" sat. Now I would need to use 85W where there's only an Echostar slate. Or move to 87W. This is getting pretty far west of my due south. For a new installation here, it's probably better to start with a circular LNB and use Echostar at 61.5W for initial installation. Actually 61.5W is so strong, it's quality is 72% even on my linear LNB.

I don't want to get in a arguement,but I always had the nbc slate and nodda rtv until I tweaked my dish.
You can get one transponder without getting others on the same location.123 with like that also
I'd try tweaking again.I got my portable tv and ird outside to adjust my signal.
If you like your rtv ,it'll be worth the trouble.Maybe even swap out for a new lnb
Good luck !!

First post...AMC 9/Ku/83W
11735/H/4444
RTVE/50+
NBC/70+

AMC 3/C/87W
3920/H/29125
RTVE 70+

Using 10' mesh dish, C/Ku band LNB, Openbox S10 receiver, DiSEqC-Box
91W is due South...

I don't want to get in a arguement, but I always had the nbc slate and nodda rtv until I tweaked my dish.
You can get one transponder without getting others on the same location.123 with like that also
I'd try tweaking again.I got my portable tv and ird outside to adjust my signal.
If you like your rtv ,it'll be worth the trouble.Maybe even swap out for a new lnb
I don't mind an argument. That's what the forum is for. I am using a motor. Once I manually tweak the dish so I'm sure it's on the arc the best it can be, I have always been able to successfully use the motor for minor adjustments due to transponder differences. This is a handy method to use on 97W. I think that even time of day (change in weather?) can be a factor that might make it necessary for one motor bump either way.

According to satstar.net, the official footprint of 83W is 46.5dBW here compared with 50.5dBW in Topeka, Kansas. In Nova Scotia, we are on the edge of many footprints. And this was before any reduction of signal from RTV. Similarly, 87W is 48.5dBW here; 51.0dBW in Topeka. 97W is 48dBW; 48.5dBW in Topeka. So signal received depends where in North America you are located even if you are using the same equipment.

I have a good quality SatelliteAV-supplied LNB so changing it won't give different results.

Added: In about a week, I'm finally going to pick up a microHD, so we'll see how that compares with the S9 being used now in the same environment.

Last edited:
The footprint of 83W is 5dB stronger in Chattanooga than Halifax. That's why you receive it better in the SE than I do in the NE. The receiver will only display what the dish/LNB sends it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)