WNEP-16 ABC Scranton, PA

Yes616

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Poinciana Place, FL
In case anyone missed this, WNEP will be increasing thier OTA power on Dec. 5, 2009. At the same time, they are changing real channels from 49 to 50. A re-scan or manual change to continue receiving this channel will be necessary.

For me this is strange. WNEP already seems to be the strongest station of them all from Scranton. Most of the time my signal strength meter is at 100% on this channel and I am 75 miles away.

WYOU & WBRE should do this too. I can hardly ever get them even though my antenna is for hi-VHF as well. I am sure this will never happen as we are talking about real channels 11 & 13. New York City has real channels here too only 120 miles away. This was the dumbest thing I ever heard of. After doing a little research on what channel slots would be best, I think they should go right back to 22 & 28 respectively. There is no other near channel interference and they are forcing OTA people to buy another antenna. NEPA OTA people have been set up for UHF for many years. Why change that if it ain't broke. Unless of course the cable companies paid them off to do this.

WVIA & WOLF come in fine but not as strong as WNEP. WQPX could use some improvement as I only get that sometimes.

I would like WQMY and WSWB in HD but I must settle for the WOLF sub-channel feeds on those. I have not been able to pull those in at all. WSWB is Scranton. Right? WQMY is Williamsport. That's a bit far so I understand why I don't receive that one. I don't understand why I can't get WSWB 38 from Scranton.

WYOU & WBRE should do this too. I can hardly ever get them even though my antenna is for hi-VHF as well.
Seems strange that you can get the UHF stations, but the VHF's are so bad. Both WYOU & WBRE are pushing 30kw which should be adequate if the UHF's from the same area are reliable. Sounds like there may be an underlying problem with your set-up?????

Seems strange that you can get the UHF stations, but the VHF's are so bad. Both WYOU & WBRE are pushing 30kw which should be adequate if the UHF's from the same area are reliable. Sounds like there may be an underlying problem with your set-up?????

He's in a spot that both NYC and Scranton VHF stations interfere with each other.

Thanks Tower Guy.:up My conclusions were based on personal experience, but I thought there was something the OP may have overlooked.

I have 2 channel 12's within 100 miles here. The one 65 miles away with 23kw is 99% reliable even with some minor terrain obstructions. The 30kw channel 12 100 miles away (no terrain) is a rare catch, & never seems to affect the closer channel 12.:confused:

He's in a spot that both NYC and Scranton VHF stations interfere with each other.

That sounds about right. Why would they do that? Why would the FCC even allow it? I am sure this affects many along the Delaware River area. Some of which are in the NEPA DMA and even closer to both Scranton and New York City than I am.

That sounds about right. Why would they do that? Why would the FCC even allow it? I am sure this affects many along the Delaware River area. Some of which are in the NEPA DMA and even closer to both Scranton and New York City than I am.

The FCC allowed .5% interference when they gave stations a choice of channels. The .5% areas are often rural areas between stations.

Those on one side of the mountain get one station, those on the other side get the other. On the top of the hill it's hit or miss for either station.

Those on one side of the mountain get one station, those on the other side get the other. On the top of the hill it's hit or miss for either station.
Exactly.:up

Sure this is all true but why would WYOU & WBRE want to go to VHF after so many years of all Scranton area stations being on UHF?

Seems to me that many would not have any trouble if they went right back to 22 & 28 where they were in the first place. I drive through the Beach Lake, Hawley and Honesdale area very often on business and see the kinds of antennas on top of homes in the area. Only a few have changed from a UHF only antenna to a VHF/UHF antenna. Some of the ones that did not change either switched or are just wondering why they cannot get 22 & 28 and have not done anything about it yet.

Maybe the cable companies and antenna dealers are paying them off to force people to either sub to cable or buy another antenna. Some can't get these channels from Dish even though Dish is sending the HD feed via satellite but on a spot beam that misses most of the western viewing area.

I am sure I would not have any problems getting 22 and 28 as long as they sent out a good powered OTA signal. I might even get WPIX and WNET OTA as these were receivable to me years ago (pre 1977 before cable arrived on my street) and before I tried the OTA antenna again just recently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)