wngs on g-10 what's going on?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

neil_kc1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY AREA
Anyone else haveing trouble with RTN flagstation on g-10?
Wngs and those channels that share that frequency ( Retro mucsic, ect.) have really dropped off signal strength, to the point of beling unwatchable, while other channels on g-10 are still comming in like gangbusters. ( what ever that means.) Any one else having that problem?

I have tried to use 1.2 to move my dish a little but it doesn't help. is it possible my lnb has some kind of glich? or most likely my pansat 3500 receiver?

i even deleated the channels and rescanned? suggestions?

11720 (where WNGS is) is really low
11800 should be fine (about 60 or so)

Reason for 11720 being low is because Dish 121 has a stronger signal also at 11720 vertical. So the bigger the dish, the better it is to get in that transponder

At first I didn't get any signal at all. I then scanned the FR on the 1080 and it came on showing the sames PIDs as always. I went back to the 3618 and got a 65% signal and black screen. I thought, here go again. Anyway I bumped the dish with no luck then went back to my orgional settings and it came on loud and clear. I have seen this channel flux from weak to strong signals on a regular basis. Anyways, it's still there.:up

neil_kc1 said:
Anyone else haveing trouble with RTN flagstation on g-10?
Wngs and those channels that share that frequency ( Retro mucsic, ect.) have really dropped off signal strength, to the point of beling unwatchable, while other channels on g-10 are still comming in like gangbusters. ( what ever that means.) Any one else having that problem?

I have tried to use 1.2 to move my dish a little but it doesn't help. is it possible my lnb has some kind of glich? or most likely my pansat 3500 receiver?

i even deleated the channels and rescanned? suggestions?
The phrase "like gangbusters" itself dates back to a wildly popular radio drama of the 1930s. "Gangbusters," which ran from 1936 all the way up to 1957, followed the exploits of courageous lawmen as they battled (and "busted up") criminal gangs and organized crime. The show has been so well-remembered today because of the program's classic opening, which ushered in the weekly proceedings with a combination of police whistle and sirens, shuffling feet, screeching tires, gunshots and the rat-a-tat of machine guns. This loud and brash cacophony introduced the slang phrase "coming on like gangbusters" to the American lexicon.

Its baffling at my end. RTN is usually barely 43% and UPN is say 49%.

Now, RTN is 25% and unwatchable, UPN is 76% quality and strength. What the heck? I really don't understand why quality is sometimes higher on lower strength.

I have ordered a 39" dish and hope to have it up in a couple of weeks. Even if I have to climb the roof and shovel a path. Hoping a couple of db's more gain on the antenna will make things a lot better for me on G10r.

Today, 11720 seems to be lower than normal. Hopefully, it's only temporary.

A few things, generally, the larger the dish, the narrower the beamwidth. If your dish is properly peaked on G10R, the DISH satellite should have little effect on your signal. If you dish is off by even a small amount, then you will pickup some noise from the DISH satellite. Peaking is extremely important. The DISH and G10R are very similar in power. With a 1m dish, (from the Winegard site)
Beamwidth at -3 dB 1.8°
Beamwidth at -10 dB 3.0°
This mean a satellite 1.8° away from G10R with the same power level will only show up as -3dB or half the power level, and at 3.0° away it will be so low that you will not even pick it out from the noise levels.
The DISH satallite is 2.0° away so it will show up as a little higher noise, but the signal from G10R is well over twice the size of it.
If the DISH satellite was not there, your dish could be mis-aligned and you would not see much of a difference, sice the DISH satellite is there, if it is mis-aligned, by even a small amount, you will pick up noise.
If anyone here has a spectrum analizer, please post some pictures of your G10R readings. I do not have one, but this is what I believe is the biggest problem, a mis-aligned dish. (i.e. not peaked extremely well) Even the LNBF not positioned at it proper focal point can affect the signal greatly, if possible, get your dish manufacturer to send you the data for your dish for you can measure your LNBF placement to see if the focal point is correct or not. If the LNBF is not at the proper spot due to the arm bent up or down, then the curves of the dish will not line up properly and the beamwidth will change. A bent dish will also greatly affect this for the same reason. I will look out the drawing I have for the Winegard 1m and post it if wanted.

This is not to say that the power levels are not changing on G10R, but the DISH satellite be not be a great factor if your dish is in good shape and well peaked.

Last edited:
Larry1, that is very interesting stuff. I was talking with a friend of mine, and he was saying a bigger dish is going to be more finicky and harder to align. Little did I realize as you say, the narrower beam width is a good thing when it comes to signal rejection of nearby sats.

I am happy with the BUD for FTA

TiminMb said:
Larry1, that is very interesting stuff. I was talking with a friend of mine, and he was saying a bigger dish is going to be more finicky and harder to align. Little did I realize as you say, the narrower beam width is a good thing when it comes to signal rejection of nearby sats.

I am aligned pretty well and get a really great signal with the 8 ft BUD C\KU FTA on G10R...over 70%.Of course all these quality reading are relative to ...I have no idea what the reference is but I am sure all receivers express the # differently.

Some channels on G10r COMPLETELY PEG THE QUALITY METER ON THE VIEWSAT EXTREME.
jEFF

Like I always say to the newbies that come here Re: dish size, bigger is better . Mind you I've heard some woman say that too, so wholly crap, woman are right sometimes. Anyways....I love G10, but I can't seem to get, like most, descent signal on the other more popular transponder. This plain ole SUCKS. I think that Equity should tell dish to get the hell off that other transponder and move it somewhere else, also, to get the US FCC to kick some dish ass so us poor folk watching FTA can watch this sh*t. Nuf said.

If Dish shuts down TP1 on their satellite (11724 V) G10 would be booming on that TP :D

But I highly doubt Dish would do that...remember, we are not the intended target for the G10 channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts