Woes in Alaska

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stanly

Original poster
Jun 9, 2005
Howdy yall,

New guy here, first post. Just moved to Palmer AK, from Texas. Am told I need a six foot dish in order to get DirecTV up here. Talked to some folks in Anchorage and they said the dish is made by Channel Master. I went to their site and couldn't find anything on this paticular dish. Have done other searches, e-bay, yahoo... with no luck. Does anyone know if this dish is available retail? Don't want to go to DISH, have to have the NFL Package! Anyway, if anyone has any info I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

from DirecTV site

Q: Is DIRECTV service available in Alaska?
A: DIRECTV does offer programming in Alaska. However, because of Alaska's location in relation to our satellites, you may need a larger satellite dish. For example, viewers in Anchorage or Fairbanks may need an eight-foot dish to get good reception. In the Juneau area, a four-foot dish may do the trick. Areas north and west of these locations will experience an even greater reduction in signal acuity. Residents of Alaska should check with their local DIRECTV retailer for more information and programming availability.

Yes you can get DirecTV in Alaska but you have to have the 6' dish in this area. I'm told by Sat company in Anchorage it's about $1,000.00. Hard to imagine that just a dish with nothing on it costs this much. So, I'm trying to find someplace that sells it, I will do the install. I called DirecTV before moving up here. There "moving offer" doesn't apply up here because they can't guarantee their signal up here. They didn't offer any info before I moved. They don't work with any installers up here either, so they said, due to the above stated reason. If I can't find this Channel Master 6' dish someplace looks like I have no choice but to get DISH. The company in Anchorage said it was a solid dish, not mesh like C-band. So, like I said I'm between a rock and a hard place. Thanks again for any info.

hell, make one... all you need is a parabolic dish shape, metallic enough to reflect a 12ghz signal, and a regular dtv lnb... or drive around and see if you can find anyone with an unused c-band or other such dish, it should work, and if it doesnt... well, your out a couple hours of legwork instead of $1000
i know in my area there are tons of theses dishes just lying around
worth a try in my opinion

oh, i'm pretty sure c-band dishes work, because you can get dtv lnb attachments for them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)