Woman charged for service she never received.

It depends on the amount. Over $6 or $12? What do you think? This issue is over $1000+.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

"...Dish STOLE this woman's money...."

This implies intent. I think it more likely incompetence.

I wouldn't even say incompetence. When you use a credit card, or routing/acct number, and you have all the info, and you claim it is in your name, and the card is in the same name, how can Dish know it's fraud? Somebody calls in, old lady voice, sets up an account, uses a checking account, has all the account info, and the name comes back to that old lady's name...no reason to be suspicious on part of Dish that I can think of.

If Dish or Direct TV charge for pay per view movies that you did not order, should you file a police report before you call Dish or Direct TV?

Really not that similar since it is your actual account not an account in your name that you don't know about. You're just talking about a minor error on an real account not fraud.

Allowing for the age of the woman and how seniors can be set in their ways, the obvious remedy which would have been to close the account, was not an option.
Chase Bank screwed up here by not recommending this course of action.
Dish STOLE this woman's money.
Stuff like this brings me back to the idea that this kind of utter frustration and feeling that an individual is powerless leads to incivility.
Dish's attitude here stunk.
Unfortunately we Americans have lost our nerve. We will no longer group together and take action such as a boycott in protest.
So the big dogs get away with this crap.

I do not see how Dish stole her money. I doubt Dish just started to draft her bank account out of the blue. Someone either by accident or on purpose gave Dish her bank account number for their account. That is the thief, not Dish. If you rob a liquor store and use the money to pay your Dish bill, Dish did not rob the liquor store.

Also as mentioned if she went to the police and filed a complaint Dish would have taken action. I do not see how a CSR can just take someone's word for it that they are being billed wrong when all they can provide is a bank account number, how is the CSR to match it up to an account number. Why should Dish take action based on someone calling in that is unwilling to go to the police and file a complaint. As mentioned she could have known exactly what was going on and just playing innocent, refusing to go to the police is pretty telling.

In late May the numbers from one of my credit cards was stolen. In a 36 hour period 5 purchases wee attempted on the card. My bank, Chase, called me to report suspicious activity. At least 2 of the attempts were through Pay Pal to buy Go Pro cameras. plus several attempts at cash advances. LUcikily due to the banks vigilance, I was not charged for any attempted purchases. I did file a police report. I contacted Pay Pal a week or so later to see if they could give me any more info. I was told that an additional attempt to purchase had been made from China.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)