Wonder why rates increase here is one reason.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigjohnok

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 27, 2014
BFE Flyover State
Had a service call in the notes the customer was having issues with their remote.
Drives 30-40 mins at highway speeds one way to replace remote batteries and customers wonder why rates are increasing.

I have heard from various sources that a tech roll costs anywhere from a $100-$200 a pop.

Or if anyone has complaints about a remote issue send them a brand new remote with batteries already installed.

doing this would be wasteful but actualy save money

Reactions: TheKrell
See this is where the CSR should ask the customer did you try replacing the batteries in the remote ? They ask everything else under the sun so they should be asking this question so techs can be saved a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will tel you this....Some customers absolutely refuse to help themselves.
I refer to the customer who is on the phone with a call center and being asked to do little things such as "push this button on the front of your receiver"....They won't do it.
I was a tech for many years. I cannot begin to count the number times the problem was dead batteries, tv on incorrect input(even with the remote in limited mode) receiver unplugged from power outlet, software out of date because they never shut down the receiver....All kinds of nonsense.

Remember, I work for Dish, disclaimer...

Much of the issue, as noted earlier in the thread, is customers who flat-out refuse to troubleshoot. There are plenty of them. Usually, a good, seasoned agent can talk a customer into troubleshooting, but a few refuse, and demand a technician. And when they do, the agent has several things they try, and if the customer still refuses, the agent HAS TO send a tech, even if they hate the idea, even if they know they can fix it over the phone. Things I have heard:

"I have that warranty thing, that says you HAVE to send me a technician for free, send one out...NOW!"
"That protection plan thing says I don't have to spend time on the phone talking to YOU about this"

And on and on...some customers are convinced they get free techs (no), and that it means they have to do nothing. At the same time, there are indeed plenty of incompetent agents who will send technicians for stupid reasons.

Does not the Dish boxes tell you if your batteries are low and need to be changed in the remote, my X1 from Comcast does that, the symbol popped up on the TV and said we need to change them.

Seems like a simple feature to add to the boxes.

And these are the people Ergen has publicly stated he does NOT want as customers because they cost him more money than he gets from them. He stated on one quarterly earnings that it costs him a dollar a minute to have a CSR handle a phone call, and that people who regularly call to complain about rates or why they should get a channel at the higher lever brought down to their package, etc. can go ahead and find another provider. But if someone calls on occasion for legitimate help and repair issues, etc., he would be happy to help them and also, when the customer is ready, to bring the latest Dish tech upgrade at no or low cost to them. It was a funny small rant, but that was like over 5 years ago.

And these are the people Ergen has publicly stated he does NOT want as customers because they cost him more money than he gets from them. He stated on one quarterly earnings that it costs him a dollar a minute to have a CSR handle a phone call, and that people who regularly call to complain about rates or why they should get a channel at the higher lever brought down to their package, etc. can go ahead and find another provider. But if someone calls on occasion for legitimate help and repair issues, etc., he would be happy to help them and also, when the customer is ready, to bring the latest Dish tech upgrade at no or low cost to them. It was a funny small rant, but that was like over 5 years ago.

Oh, the stories I could tell about some customers who are "high maintenance". I'll just say that it does appear that corporate keeps an eye on outliers, and makes decisions based on that. No more to be said on that...

Reactions: Hall
Can Dish refuse to continue service to a paying customer outside of a contract?

Can Dish refuse to continue service to a paying customer outside of a contract?
Dish can refuse service to any single one of their customers. They cannot say "you're disabled and black so we don't want you as a customer", but they can say "you cost us more money then we can make at anytime, and therefore we choose not to service you". It would have nothing to do with their class, but would have everything to do with how much the customer abuses the company. I had one customer, who had so many techs for the wrong things, the installation company refused to service the customer anymore. Dish told the customer they have to cancel or if they want further technical support, they would need to contact a third party. Waived the cancellation fee.
Saw another one that was so abusive to agents, the company waived all their ETF, prorated their bill to the last day, cancelled the service and advised the customer they were not welcome to use Dish service again. The customer tryed to file a BBB complaint, and on the public BBB website received the same answer. Dish wants as many customers as they can get, but still realize there is a line that cannot be crossed.

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
I learned a long, long time ago that there are some customers you are better off without. Thankfully they are few and far between.

Reactions: ChadT41
Remember, I work for Dish, disclaimer...

Much of the issue, as noted earlier in the thread, is customers who flat-out refuse to troubleshoot. There are plenty of them. Usually, a good, seasoned agent can talk a customer into troubleshooting, but a few refuse, and demand a technician. And when they do, the agent has several things they try, and if the customer still refuses, the agent HAS TO send a tech, even if they hate the idea, even if they know they can fix it over the phone. Things I have heard:

"I have that warranty thing, that says you HAVE to send me a technician for free, send one out...NOW!"
"That protection plan thing says I don't have to spend time on the phone talking to YOU about this"

And on and on...some customers are convinced they get free techs (no), and that it means they have to do nothing. At the same time, there are indeed plenty of incompetent agents who will send technicians for stupid reasons.
Yeah...And the techs get dinged for Trouble Calls as a result. This in spite of the fact that the TC is of no fault to the last tech out on the site.
This especially hurts the contractor tech who has to perform the service in HIS dime.
Dish has a ( excuse the language) a sh*t system in this area. And it is the main reason why so many good techs are leaving the business.
It is the reason I quit doing fulfillment work.
Think of how infuriating it is for field personnel to be told they will not be paid to perform a service AND have to suffer the indignity of listening to a high maintenance jerk carp and moan.

Reactions: acostapimps
I learned a long, long time ago that there are some customers you are better off without. Thankfully they are few and far between.
In business it is best to take care of your best customers. Those are customers from which you never hear unless they want something new.
Then there are those who have issues but are understanding that for example the company is not available 24/7/365. Customers who don't want the world free of charge, they just want the thing to work.
Then there are those customers who are abusive to CSR's and field personnel and abuse the system.
For the latter, my philosophy has always been, "please take your business elsewhere".

Does not the Dish boxes tell you if your batteries are low and need to be changed in the remote, my X1 from Comcast does that, the symbol popped up on the TV and said we need to change them.

Seems like a simple feature to add to the boxes.
Yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts