wondered what it costs to lease transponder time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bfreesteve

Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
tx
A simple turn of a 2.5M signal (SD TV) on an average Ku-band satellite for a multi-year contract could be approximately $12 - $14K per month. 128K (radio) $1,200 - $1,400 per month. Priority contract and play out services are additional.

Brian, you seem very knowledgeable about this. Can you tell me where to look to possibly obtain a 128k (radio) contract such as the one you mention above?

Thanks, bfreesteve

There have been a few topics on this before and I remember the lowest price per MHz was about $2000 per month on one of the Atlantic satellites that provided only partial coverage to the US. To get full coverage be prepared to pay what Brian quoted above.

broke posts off old thread. Sometimes its easier to start fresh as so much has changed in 3 years :)

Brian, you seem very knowledgeable about this. Can you tell me where to look to possibly obtain a 128k (radio) contract such as the one you mention above?

Thanks, bfreesteve

you could start with Globecast, RRSAT Global and Pittsburgh Intl Telecommunications, three providers who may be competitive with their audio bandwidth pricing on Galaxy 19 Ku-band. Roberts Communications on Galaxy 3C Ku might be another option but probably aren't very price competitive as they don't have competiton on that satellite unless they are afraid of losing a customer to Galaxy 19 Ku-band next door.

There have been a few topics on this before and I remember the lowest price per MHz was about $2000 per month on one of the Atlantic satellites that provided only partial coverage to the US. To get full coverage be prepared to pay what Brian quoted above.

that $2k/mhz/month sounds abouyt right for even a C-band U.s. domestic sat. I know a local station who uplinks themselves to C-band to distribute their signal to cable headends and translators pays about $3-4K/mo for their 2 MHz slice of spectrum according to a story in the local paper a year or two ago. Their uplink dish is in their parking lot so they have no transport or network origination costs to an uplinker, but they do have the electricity bill for that uplink, uplink maintenance costs, and the cost of putting in that uplink so apparently doing the uplink of their own signal is cheaper than sending the signal off to someone to uplink it for them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)