Word to the Wise - Don't PO Box with FED Ex

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Just learned last night that the reason my Winegard isn't here is because I put the PO Box address as the mailing address when I bought the thing off of ebay. I finally inquired about it from the seller. Apparently Fedex does not deliver to PO Boxes. New news to me.... of course I almost never use them... typically opt for USPS. USPS has no problem with PO Boxes (of course since they run them)... The Winegard is now en route again. Hopefully it'll be here before too long. :)

As a 27 year USPS employee I will let you in on a secret. It's not that Fed Ex, UPS or DHL won't deliver to a post office box, it's because they CAN'T deliver to post office. The reason; the postal service owns the box, why should USPS deliver something to their box that was not mailed though their system thus not generating any revenue for them. In all fairness, it should have been posted that the item was to be sent FED EX and that PO Boxes were a no no. Also I stay away from those companies as much as possible because if you are not at home they will tell you when they will attempt to redeliver and if you can't be home at their convenience they will return the article. With the time and tested Postal Service if you are not at home they will leave you a notice as to where the parcel is from, when they attempted to deliver it, when and where YOU can go to pick it up and that they will hold it for 10 days.

I send out on average about 30 packages a month via the USPS. They get them there fast, and pretty cheap! THe only time I don't use them is when I have a large package to send. Our post office has an automated machine so I can go during non counter hours and do all the shipping myself. real slick!

iafirebuff said:
I send out on average about 30 packages a month via the USPS. They get them there fast, and pretty cheap! THe only time I don't use them is when I have a large package to send. Our post office has an automated machine so I can go during non counter hours and do all the shipping myself. real slick!

Larry,

Thanks for the kind words, I will forward them to my former colleagues.

I always try to use the USPS. Have no issues using them when I ship stuff out, I can ship stuff to Canada without filling out oodles of paperowrk, and my uncle is a postman in Shakopee :)

Is he a clerk or a carrier? I was a clerk and the carriers thought world revolved around them. We always shut them up by saying: "Whenever they want to portray a postal worker on TV as a dumba*s, they always choose a carrier." Cliff Claven and Newman, I rest my case.:) Oh yea, my wife was a carrier at one time.

nope. Letter carrier. Whole time
Most of his route is on foot. He has the "old" part of town (the part of town that has been around for 50+ years) so he parks his vehicle and get out and walk 2 blocks, go across the street and work his way back. Part of it (maybe 1/10) is mailboxes on street but most is mailboxes right at house. (and none of those "lets put 15 at one spot and make the residents walk" :D

Iceberg said:
"lets put 15 at one spot and make the residents walk" :D

The infamous "cluster boxes." The service caught a of sh*t over those.

Sorry, we did drift away from the subject, but we did get our point across that the Postal Service is the best service. Besides, they need the money so they can keep up the retirement funds.:cool:

we have one at our house but there are 8 townhouses that share one driveway...so its at the end of the driveway...8 townhouses...16 boxes (????)

We use the post office everyday. We ship a whole lot through the post office and have had very little problem with them. They even take an 80cmDish box anywhere the USPS delivers. We ship also 180cm dishes with them to PR without a problem.

I wish they have daily FREE pickup like FedEX or UPS, otherwise they rock.

yes...

oversized stuff does go to po boxes. They just leave a little slip telling you to pick up at the office, where somone goes back and picks it up for you. The only problem with that is if you work 8-5 and their office is only open 8-5...

If you miss UPS around here, you can go pick it up at their office around 7-8 pm. Luckily, I have to basically drive past UPS on the way home and my wife works about one block from the PO Box and has an hour lunch... Never dealt with Fed Ex before. I'm hoping they have an after hour pick up like UPS.

mastermesh said:
If you miss UPS around here, you can go pick it up at their office around 7-8 pm. Luckily, I have to basically drive past UPS on the way home and my wife works about one block from the PO Box and has an hour lunch... Never dealt with Fed Ex before. I'm hoping they have an after hour pick up like UPS.

Yeah you can pick up your package at the local FedEX place if you miss it and arrange for them to hold it. I know the one here in Columbus is open till like 7 or 8pm I cant remember.

Diamond Jim, UPS brings stuff by our local post office all the time. Of course me being a smart ass, I ask, "what, you can't get it delivered so your using the post office?" LOL My cuz works in Orlando sorting shipping or something like that at night. My grandmother retired out of the po with in the past year. So we have some postal workers in our clan. The problem I have is, I can't get Viacom and these other programmers to send me stuff through the USPS. I have a few that uses Fed HEX and I can't stand them. UPS does pretty good though, at least they leave it where I ask them too and I'm not having to sign something all the time (at least they keep my signature on file). Every now and then, I will have a programmer send me something through the mail even though it's small.

Woohoooo!

Nice Shiny Happy Winegard was sitting in a box on the front porch last night! I started pre-assembly of the roof mount, motor, and dish last night. I won't be able to finish assembly til tonight or sometime in a couple of days because I need to borrow my dad's ladder, and I can't burrow that til he gets his van back from my sister who's borrowing the van for a couple of days while her car is in the shop... No real questions yet. In another post someone said to aim for IA6 as true south. Is that called Telstar 6 or T6 in Pansat 3500SD Preset sattelite menu? Also since my stats are

Latitude 38° 57.216'N Longitude 92° 44.700'W

would
Brasilsat B4 92.0W 178.8 177.1 44.9 -0.9
or
Telstar 6 93.0W 180.4 178.7 44.9 0.3

be closer to true South? T6 is in the Pansat's presets, but Brasilsat is not? Guess I'd have to add a new sat. for Brasilsat? Just wondering if the 1 degree difference will make a difference in getting the motor to hit the arc correctly when I do get it going.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts