WorldsportHD? Is it still HD-lite?

chelseafan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
The main reason I will get the HD package is this channel, if it is in HD lite I will keep waiting! I will only pay for real high definition!

No problem with watching Spanish soccer, I am from Spain and a huge Real Madrid fan!

Just watched a Real Madrid vs Dep. Alaves match the other day. Ronaldo looked good. Anyway, not sure about the res but the channel looks as decent as any of the other HD channels on Dish, imo. If I had to guess I would say it's 1440 res but hard to say just looking at it.

I thought going forward all of Dishnetworks and DIrect TVs HD will be HD Lite.

Only some cable systems are still doing the Full HD.

Correct Me if I am wrong.

Kirby Baker said:
During today's match, it sounded like you wont have to worry about watching him play for Real Madrid anymore though...

I read somewhere that Ronaldo and Roberto Carlos are on their way out. There are so many super stars in Real Madrid and too many egos that they'll never play as a team. They need to clean the house.

ScottChez said:
I thought going forward all of Dishnetworks and DIrect TVs HD will be HD Lite.

Only some cable systems are still doing the Full HD.

Correct Me if I am wrong.

The only "HD Lite" on Dish is the Voom Channels. It has been determined that the Voom channels are being down converted because of the fiber that is being used to deliver the channels to the Dish uplink center. There is speculation that this will be fixed in the near future. CBS-HD East which is on 61.5 is being delivered to us in 1440x1080i, I read somewhere that this issue is also being worked on. All of the other HD on Dish is not being down converted. I really think the HD-Lite on Dish is only temporary.

Thank you BrianMis

I did not know this, I was thinking about going to Cable as my local Cable systems is 100% full HD.

Did I miss a thread somewhere on this topic? What is the source of the info, I want to read me so I can make an informed choice, as my Dish Contract is up in April.

Nope Universal HD was just added at full res, as was ESPN2HD.

But I believe Worldsport was always in 1280 x 1080i even when it was on VOOM, so not sure it it makes a difference.

Actually all voom HD channels were delivered at 1440x1080i on the former Voom DBS. All other HD channels on the same former systems were delivered at their native rez.

BrianMis said:
The only "HD Lite" on Dish is the Voom Channels. It has been determined that the Voom channels are being down converted because of the fiber that is being used to deliver the channels to the Dish uplink center. There is speculation that this will be fixed in the near future. CBS-HD East which is on 61.5 is being delivered to us in 1440x1080i, I read somewhere that this issue is also being worked on. All of the other HD on Dish is not being down converted. I really think the HD-Lite on Dish is only temporary.

How are ABC HD, NBC HD and Fox HD on Dish LIL HD?

chelseafan said:
The main reason I will get the HD package is this channel, if it is in HD lite I will keep waiting! I will only pay for real high definition!

So you'll be watching those games in "real high definition" elsewhere? :rolleyes:

Ok, this may be opening Pandora's Box, but here goes... Since all Voom was originally 1440x1080i, and is now downrezzed to 1280x1080i, could this explain why (at least in my opinion) the Voom HD lite looks much better than 1920x1080i downrezzed to 1280x1080i? Dropping 160 lines is much less than 640.

I guess where I am headed with this is, its been mentioned many times that most HD video content is shot at 1440x1080i anyway, so if that was going to someone like D*, it would be up-converted to 1920, then down rezzed to 1280. Instead on Voom channel, they are 1440 downrezzed to 1280, missing that initial upconvert.

Just curious about it all, since I did many comparisons with D* and E* before I switched to E*, and IMO, the Voom HD lite was way better than D* HD lite.

All of VOOM's HD material is 1920x1080, or so they claim. I suspect a fair amount of it is 1440x1080, as in the action footage shot with HD cameras. So it is being downrezzed from 1920x1080 to 1280x1080. I believe VOOM is doing the downrezzing and they appear to be doing a creditable job of it.

As to the person who stated that his local cable's HD is all full-rez, that can be difficult to verify and it is known that some cable companies do down-rez, or choke down the bit rates. Others provide high quality HD.

I guess it gets into exactly who is doing the down-rez on the Vooms. If it is indeed Voom doing it because of fiber issues then would those 1440x1080 shows actually be changed into 1920x1080 before down-rezzing? I would think it would make more sense not to do that, but dont fully understand how a broadcast center like Voom's operates. It seems like the could just plug in a target resolution (1280x1080) and their hardware would either go from 1440 or 1920, depending on the source resolution. Or isnt that how it would work?

I know on my cable HD, Charter, they are not down rezzed, but with some recent additions, it does appear they are now doing some rate shaping. But what Charter does here is definitely not what they do everywhere, as many can attest to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)