Status
Please reply by conversation.

iceshark

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Pacific Northwest
To CEO (Charles Ergen)

I have been a customer for 8 years. Before a year break with DTV I was a customer for 6 years prior. So total years customer for 14 years. I used to be proud to tell others of the great customer service of Dish Network. WELL NOT ANYMORE!

I would like to tell you my experience of the last few days in regards to my service and calls to Dish Net call center.

First off, I am a HD subscriber of $100.00 or so a month. I travel as a customer service training manager for a very large USA based company. I teach what it is to give and expect good service. Boy I cant wait to relate my expericance to the thousands I teach monthly!

With my travel away from home. There are times that my service has backed up and been turned off for late payment. I have never argued a thing as I promptly pay in full by credit card when arriving home and finding service temporarily discontinued. It is my fault and I pay whatever fees are involved and live to see another day with Dish as it comes back on immediately.

Well this past 1-4-07 My service went off. Within hours I paid it in full. Unfortunately for my unknown future frustration I choose to pay by my checking account as my check book was upstairs at my PC. I was reluctant to use this method as in August of 05 I paid this way and had thought I had entered a number incorrectly as my service was turned off again and NSF fee charged. I and the Dishnet rep (very nice back then) could not figure out the problem. My account never showed the charge at my banking institution and we chalked it up to most likely my error. I paid by at that time again by Visa and from 2005 till last week continued to pay by Visa.

Well I diligently made sure I entered all numbers without symbols as instructed on your web page. This is the string on bottom of my check as entered- 325ccxxxx 1ccccccxxxx 09xxx The first 9 numbers are my banks routing, the next 12 are my account number (actual account number is 522xxxx, on my checks it has the 109ccccccxxx) then my check number 09XXX (for security I left out on this email the last 3 of my check number, they were entered in your system)

The check payment was accepted and TV was back on.

Lets now flash ahead a week to 1-11-07, I arrived home to my Dish Network being turned off again. Bewildered as I had paid 250.00 in full I was more then upset! I immediately called 1800333-dish. I got a person who gave me his id as "Quin B 1". I told him my service was off again and he rudely said it was because my check had been returned with no money in the bank. I told him that was impossible. I at the same time unlike in 2005 brought up my account online to view as I was talking to CSR. Right away I caught an error on the systems part. I could see that not only was an error happening now. But in 2005 an error happened as well. I was relived as I knew it had not been my mistake back then and now I could prove it.

In looking at your systems online payment records it shows the last 4 of my bank account as "xxxx" when in fact it is and was entered both time correctly as "xxxx" I could see your system was taking the "x" from the start of my actual check number and putting that as the last digit of my checking account number incorrectly! So it was not my error either time. I was thinking WOW! I am confident this CSR will understand this and we will be back in business!

Well unfortunately this poorly trained CSR would not even listen to me. He kept saying "I can see you don't pay your bills and that's why your service is off" and "If you had money it would have went thru" I kept trying to explain it did not even get the opportunity to go trough as your system repeal is logging wrong number as bank account number. I also told him I pay my bills and my payment of all my bills is none of his business and I REAPETED demanded to talk to a supervisor. He kept ignoring my demand for a supervisor and putting me on hold for extended periods and returning and arguing with me more. I finally asked his name and for a supervisor. He said hold on and hung up on me.

I then called back and luckily talked to a very good CSR that could see what happened. He said he had seen this before and its a glitch with some obscure banks (mine is a small credit union) He said his system was such that unfortunately he could not tell it that it was not customer error. So in turn I would not be able to pay by check for 6 month. I told him after this I would never be paying by check again. He laughed with me and I paid in full on my Credit Card. He offered to waive the fees to accept phone payment and the NSF fee. This was the Dish service I remembered. Alls well and fixed.

UNTIL TODAY!!!!!!!!!! PART 2 of extreme RUDENESS!

Today after returning home from my children's soccer game I noticed my big TV was off. I had been recording a program. I thought it odd and headed upstairs to check other TV. What the heck, they say subscription needed. I am at this point confused. I go to my bank account online and see payment for $260.00 has been processed to dishnetwork. So I then bring up Dishnet online and check my account. It says balance "0" So What the heck is going on?!

I call Dishnet and get a CSR I calmly explain clearly that I have paid by credit card in full 2 days ago and something's wrong. She does not listen or appeared to not listen to a thing I said?! She says, "sir, your service is off for a returned check payment and you need to pay for it to go back on" I am like YOUR CRAZY ( I did not actually say that) I say, I DID PAY IN FULL on 1-11-07 and my service was restored immediately and fees waived.

She then pauses and basically repeats the same line to me about I need to pay before service is restored. I am pissed at this point and again ask for a supervisor. She like the first CSR keeps putting me on hold refusing to get a supervisor to help. She comes back and tells me now she sees there is a 260.00 payment pending and my service will come back on when it shows paid?

I again say this makes no sense. I paid in full 2 days ago and a credit card payment is immediately approved. So what the heck is she talking about?! She says again your payment is pending and your service was not on. I say, look lady are you calling me a liar? I paid and the csr that unlike you knew what he was doing and service was immediately restored. I own NOTHING! I WANT A SUPERVISOR NOW!

She again places me on hold and comes back and tells me I need to make my payment in Cash now and from now on for any service. I said, So your telling me Dishnetwork has just taken my 260.00 pretended for 2 days to give me service and now I need to send cash in the mail?? Your the most rude untrained CSR I have ever dealt with. I say for the last time I WANT A SUPERVISOR NOW! She again disappears and then comes back and says "We have restored your service as there was a system error"

So I say thank you for that. ( I am not a rude person so I thanked her) and asked for confirmation that this would not happen again 2 days from now and what happened.

She says she does not know what happened. I said what about this cash thing you stated, Am I able to pay by my credit card still. She says by computer I can buy not by phone any longer?????? I say, I have never paid by phone except 2 days ago so this should not be an issue as I pay by internet. She says sir YOU CAN PAY ANYWAY YOU LIKE. Then I say, Not to be rude ms.csr but you need more training as you have been very little help if any.

So there you have my terrible customer service experience. I as a long time customer (or any customer) should not have had to go thru this or get this upset. I would appreciate some kind of feedback assuring me my service will not go off again due to this issue. I would also like to ask why your CSR's will not get a supervisor on the line when asked.

In closing, this is now probably the worst customer service experience I have had ever. I would hope you would respond with a statement as to why I was put through this and hopefully roll this up to a customer service upper management person as I am sure I am not the only one that is concerned with the downslide of your customer service.

I will be posting this letter and any rebuttal on several satellite forums I have found. ( Satellite guys USA, and AVS forum ect ect)

Thank you sincerely
Jacqueline K

Last edited:
Twas a fun read. :) Nothing significant though. Just standard stupid people stuff. In these situations, I like to take the conflicting/nonsensical information I've been given and repeat it back to the CSR in the form of a question. Sometimes, it seems so completely insane that it almost seems sarcastic, but then you've just got to preface your question with "I'm sorry, I'm confused..." or "I'm having a really hard time, I'm sorry..." to maintain civil tones with the supplier of aforementioned conflicting concepts. If they confidently re-state the inherantly incongruous statement as though it makes all the sense in the world, then you know you've found a person who's not worth talking to and you re-roll the dice and pick a new CSR from the pile. But if they're intellectually honest and have a grain of humility they will transfer you to others more qualified before you're forced to do so.

You're sending a letter to Charlie Ergen about your payment-related problems ?? I guess in your travels you miss the "Charlie Chat". Pretty much every episode he touts "credit card auto-pay". It would solve ALL of your problems and he seems to love the idea of it !

You're sending a letter to Charlie Ergen about your payment-related problems ?? I guess in your travels you miss the "Charlie Chat". Pretty much every episode he touts "credit card auto-pay". It would solve ALL of your problems and he seems to love the idea of it !

Your missing the point. I am sending to Charles my concern for the extremelly poor customer service received not once but twice and a concern as to why my payment was received in full, yet service turned off again and CSR could not explain why.

It is my business as to how I want to pay. I do not like using Autopay systems. I have seen too many false or incorrect charges appear while using Autopay on my Sprint Cell phone bill and others. I do not care if I pay extra late pentelty. That is my buisness and Its up to me. Heck its extra for them.

This is about the terrible call center and needed CSR improvments. Sorry if it went over your head.

It sounds like they were rude to you and that is wrong, but I honestly think you brought this one on yourself. Why is it so hard for people to pay their bills on time? Back when I was in college I worked collections part time to help pay for school and I delt with people like this all the time. You can save everyone a lot of time and effort by just paying on time. Time to start being responsible and paying on time.

I can sympathize, a few months ago dealing with HP made me want to throw something heavy through something valuable. But, I've had to have my service changed twice in the last week and they were nothing but help. I dialed 888-825-2557 so maybe this is the secret one to get good service. Sorry to hear about your experience, but principle aside punishing yourself with a lesser company's service only hurts you.

autopay . It is very easy to do. I hope you pay all of your other bills on time or your credit must suck.

guys, the posts about her not paying her bills on time and needing to be more responceable are uncalled for. she openly admits that she is a business traveller, and thus gets behind sometimes, personally if i was here i would pick my cerdit card bill over my tv bill as needing to be paid on time if i wasent home to watch tv.

guys, the posts about her not paying her bills on time and needing to be more responceable are uncalled for. she openly admits that she is a business traveller, and thus gets behind sometimes, personally if i was here i would pick my cerdit card bill over my tv bill as needing to be paid on time if i wasent home to watch tv.

Thank you, I dont know were someone can find it more acceptable to be extremelly rude based on payment times. Like I have said that was not the issue I was commenting on. My credit is very good and I own my home. Its only my Dish and admittedly my utility payments that may be backed up from time to time by me being away. I always pay and if there is a late fee I pay that as well. I never look for a handout.

I have money in my bank accounts and its not fair to be pushed around like I was trying to bounce a check to Dishnet. It was there systems error. Its the awful response I got when calling them I am upset about.

I think its great that the poster used to work for a collections company. I have never been to a collections company so I see no reason to compare it.

By the way, CEO already responded and want to talk to me. They have assured me the service will not be inturupted again.

Tough crowd in here. The person pays the penalty for paying late (called a late fee), that is not the issue. The company makes good money on the late fee so they won't complain. The service was horrendous and this happens all too frequent. Anyways, hope it gets all situated, what a mess to sort through.

Seeing DISH will celebrate their 11th birthday in march, how have you been a customer for 14 years?

That thought crossed my mind also, unless she meant E* in general and had C-Band.

Sorry to hear the problems you are having.

Seeing DISH will celebrate their 11th birthday in march, how have you been a customer for 14 years?

Sorry I will be more clear. My husband owned a big dish ( CBand) store in California called California Home Theater and Satellite. It was located in Mountain View Ca It was in operation from 1990-1994. DTV sales started in 1994 at Sears and it put him out of buisness.

We were a customer of Echostar in Colorado. We were operating a HTS or Houston Tracker Premier 70 reciever that was a gift from high Echostar product sales.

We started with DishNetwork from the inception in I belive it was 1995. We bought our first system at Frys Electronics. At the time they were the first and only company with a Kiosk and sales. My husband bought it only due to the fact DTV put him under and he wanted the other option. I remember it being cool as Dish had distant networks on thier DishNET and superstations right from the start!

We have had every receiver from the 2700-3700-7100-7200-310-501-508-510-921 and now 622.

So if you were making referance to my dates not being exact your right and I apoligize. However if you were thinking I was making it up. I can assure you I am not. We have eaten dinner with Charlie at 2 different Satellite trade shows back in the Cband says. In fact I have a picture of us with Charlie. Would it make you feel better if I scanned it for you!

Jackie

Also my husband just mentioned. He toured the Echostar plant in 1992 and was the top sales company for Echostar 510 (Cband) receivers for California in 1992. He said Echo line was not a great line of Cband stuff but he loved the Houston tracker line that was purchased by Echostar in 1992.

Some of you are as rude as the DISH net people. Luckily just a couple.

UPDATE, I AM ON THE PHONE ON HOLD WITH DISHNET CEO OFFICE> WOW FAST RESPONSE ON A WEEKEND!

Last edited:
*shrug* It's incredibly unlikely Unky Charlie will ever get the letter. So the point is moot anyhow. It would be nice if the CEO address would stop making promises they can't keep though...

I understand your frustration, I really do. I'm not trying to be rude to me and I am sorry if that is how you felt. It is just a pet peve of mine for people to pay late. Sorry for being rude. I just think you can solve the problem by paying on time. Again, I wish you the best and hope that you are able to get everything cleared up ASAP.

I understand your frustration, I really do. I'm not trying to be rude to me and I am sorry if that is how you felt. It is just a pet peve of mine for people to pay late. Sorry for being rude. I just think you can solve the problem by paying on time. Again, I wish you the best and hope that you are able to get everything cleared up ASAP.

You were not rude. Your absolutly right. When it comes down to it, its totally my fault and I would not have ruined my day by such a nasty call if I paid on-time. I actually just setup auto pay on my husbands urging.

I just responded here as my husband loves this site and you guys and gals. I was looking to see if it was the norm for such rude treatment with the Dish Call center.

Thanks for replying back. Your a good person.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)