worst thing to come out of this

djjsin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
thinking about it, i think this whole voom situation has probubly pushed HD further back to the stone ages, then helped it. It will take a long time until others feel HD is something to invest in. Many will probubly just think there's no money in HD, looking at how bad voom failed, which i'm not sure is the fault of HD. I find it really hard to believe that no one cares about HD. I could be wrong, but from what i hear, the lack of programming (no sports) and vooms marketing campain (sears?) attributed to alot of the failure, but all anyone is going to see is that there's no $$$ in HD.

Ya it was great while it lasted, for the short term, but in the long term, i think Voom has Hurt HD more then it Helped it. Thanks Voom

Not only that but when you have a chanel like Encore HD getting out of the HD business because it can't find enough distribution market, what message does it send? We are not ready for HD yet. Now I wished I had not bought my HDTVs and just sit calmly with my 27" JVC color TV and my compress E* signal that I looked spectacular on that TV. My opinon is that we won't seen another provider carrying 30+ HD channels for another year or maybe two. There's no money in HD it is expensive to produce and to get the content.

Sean Mota said:
Not only that but when you have a chanel like Encore HD getting out of the HD business because it can't find enough distribution market, what message does it send? We are not ready for HD yet. Now I wished I had not bought my HDTVs and just sit calmly with my 27" JVC color TV and my compress E* signal that I looked spectacular on that TV. My opinon is that we won't seen another provider carrying 30+ HD channels for another year or maybe two. There's no money in HD it is expensive to produce and to get the content.

That's my feeling also == about how this has more repercussions than meet the eye== I do have the option of returning my HD Tv to a failing Ultimate Electronics sale who will only give me credit, not cash, so I will have to find something else to enjoy on it--the DVD's, C-band, Memory Stick multimedia shows, decent SD from C-band, but no more HD, except the locals (only 3--unless we put up a megatower to get FOX at its low-strength signal.

I won't waste time with Dish or Direct--I just don't like how we are forced to make a choice--the Devil has 2 hands--in one is Dish and the other Direct.

VOOM was an angel sent for a short period of time to let us know what we "could" have had and what is possible, but if the 21 channels do not survive per se, then it's no Phoenix rising from the dust.

The movie Exodus showing now on VOOM tells it all.

Back to Mass Mediocrity at its worst.

This is as bad as Terri Schiavo (and the newest euthanasia scandal starting to come out of Georgia), with something very beautiful, wonderful, innocent and promising just pulled the plug on---VOOM will disconnect more for me than just HD--but yes, it will disconnect any faith in our American system as it was originally set forth.

Yes, VOOM will go the way of all the Zero-Energy devices, Cold Fusion--anything that will take the corporate ladder down to Hades.

I guess we will need a special thread for VOOM decompression--a Therapy group -- how to rise from the ashes of this annihilation--this HOLOCAUST.

djjsin said:
thinking about it, i think this whole voom situation has probubly pushed HD further back to the stone ages, then helped it. It will take a long time until others feel HD is something to invest in. Many will probubly just think there's no money in HD, looking at how bad voom failed, which i'm not sure is the fault of HD. I find it really hard to believe that no one cares about HD. I could be wrong, but from what i hear, the lack of programming (no sports) and vooms marketing campain (sears?) attributed to alot of the failure, but all anyone is going to see is that there's no $$$ in HD.

Ya it was great while it lasted, for the short term, but in the long term, i think Voom has Hurt HD more then it Helped it. Thanks Voom

You would be surprised to learn how many people think that hooking cable to an HDTV is high definition! Although it looks better due to the deinterlacing and lack of visible scan lines, they think it's good enough. Unbelievable.

I didn't think HD was going to catch on that quick anyway. TV has been the same for decades and decades. Society does not do well with fast change-- we love our status quo. When it was talked about years ago that pretty much "all TV's will be HD by 2006 whether you like it or not" I thought, yeah right, millions of homes still have a clock flashing 12:00 on their VCR's! John Q. Public doesn't want to buy new equipment, or a converter box. He wants his cheap stuff and likes it that way. DVD's only caught on because the players came down in price so fast and the discs became ridiculously cheap. But the world at large ain't ready for High-Def yet. HD is shaping up to be the new Betamax.

bookwalk said:
This is as bad as Terri Schiavo (and the newest euthanasia scandal starting to come out of Georgia), with something very beautiful, wonderful, innocent and promising just pulled the plug on---VOOM will disconnect more for me than just HD--but yes, it will disconnect any faith in our American system as it was originally set forth.

Yes, VOOM will go the way of all the Zero-Energy devices, Cold Fusion--anything that will take the corporate ladder down to Hades.

I guess we will need a special thread for VOOM decompression--a Therapy group -- how to rise from the ashes of this annihilation--this HOLOCAUST.

Oh Please. I find this comparision very disturbing. Your comparing a TV signal to human life? Some how I don't think the pain and suffering you will feel compares to those that sat in a concentration camp or with the family members that must contemplate a life and death decision for a terminally ill loved one. You do need a therapy group.

bookwalk said:
Back to Mass Mediocrity at its worst.
HOLOCAUST.
Yes, Bookwalk, so nicely put. I did enjoy being lifted by the refreshing programming. Charles Dolan - Voom HD - was a before its time indeed. Most inventions - are brought to the masses not until thirty years later. Those few subcribers are certainly most fortunate to have been part of this great experience. I also have Dish since 97' and when I became a Voomer, things were never the same. I am beginning to get really depressed :( :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)