Worth the hassle?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mbarnes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I just picked up an old DirecPC system. It looks like there might be a linear LNB on it. I've got an old receiver from my Mom when she got a new 4DTV (or whatever) receiver. She pulled the VideoCipher module out of it and sent the receiver to me.

What I'm wondering is it worth the hassle of setting up this dish and hooking that receiver to it? I think it is just an NTSC receiver, I'm not sure. Anything on Ku I might see with it? Any particular satellite recommendations? Or should I just leave things piled up until I get an actual DVB receiver?

Thanks.

Uh, how about a little specificity? (Brand name, model number... stuff like that?)

Do you have a remote control for the receiver?

My guess: Not with that dish...

sounds like an analog receiver and there isnt much analog on KU anyways....
The DirecPC dish will work for KU Band and the LNB on there is fine. Do you know the size? There were a couple models

36x20
39x23

well, I dug through the garage and finally found the box. The receiver is an Echostar 510. I don't know on the DirecPC dish, I don't want to haul a bunch of the stuff out of the shed tonight to measure it, but I'm guessing it is the larger one. It has a big cover over the lnb head. IIRC, it's got two lnbs, looks like one DSS and one VSAT, plus the upconvertor and power amplifier for the uplink side.

Well, my memory ain't what it used to be. The DirecPC dish is the larger one, 39x23. Despite the bulbous radome, it has but one lnb plus the transmitter, no DSS. It seems there should be plenty of room in there for other things, though. Here are some pictures, I hope. I'm not sure of the exact instructions on putting pictures in posts.

Attachments

• 100_7412.jpg
    100_7412.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 100_7408.jpg
    100_7408.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 100_7404.jpg
    100_7404.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 100_7409.jpg
    100_7409.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 118
nice dish...i had the same one a while back...

Attachments

• Picture 001.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Picture 002.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Picture 009.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 124
  • Picture 016.bmp
    297.1 KB · Views: 159
OK, so I have a dish and an llnb that should work. Is hooking up the Echostar 510 receiver going to get anything? Any particular bird to point it at?

I'm going to guess that lnb is a single polarity and doesn't flip by voltage change?

I assume the 510 is the old Echostar analog and not the Dish DVR known by the same name?

the LNB is dual polarity so it will work just fine for both H & V polarity

If it has KU band, you should be able to pick up some analog ku, assuming you find any lol.
There's a test card on AMC16 , I believe.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts