Worth upgrading to a blind-scanning receiver on a single-sat system (currently 93W)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

paulm

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Thanks to the great help I've received here, we've been enjoying watching UND Hockey on the Fighting Sioux Sports Network. My current system gets the job done, but frankly that Captiveworks 600S receiver is a piece of junk. For just watching hockey, fine, but there's no (actual) blind scan and it's prone to random crashes, especially when changing channels (luckily, it's never crapped mid game on me).

So, I have hockey. I'm happy. The FTA hobby looks interesting, but I had decided that I wasn't willing to put the time and money into it... but dang that $85 Mercury II receiver is tempting!

I don't plan on going motorized any time soon, and during the hockey season I'll be permanently on Galaxy 26 at 93W. During the off season I'm thinking maybe G10.

Is there enough stuff up there in the clear (esp on G26) that it's worth getting the Mercury II?

T6 (G26) has a lot of news feeds. The one cool thing about T6 compared to the old satellites the FSSN were on is this sat actually has news feeds :) (the old sats they were on seemed to very rarely have anything else on them)

The Merc II I heard is really good and well worth it for blind scan

I've programmed in all of the transponders listed on lyngsat, and by going through them at various times i've found a few live news feeds. Lots of post-game nfl press conferences on sundays. Some local affiliate trucks from DC and NYC. Interesting, but more of a novelty than anything for me.

However, if you were to tell me I could probably find some hockey (nhl, college, women's, juniors, international, whatever) games, I'd be enticed :)

I'm thinking that without a motorized system... blind scan? meh.

2 college hockey games on right now on different satellites. Both games involve CCHA teams

if you get a motorized setup, by all means get a blind scan box. Well worth it. Even on G26 a blind scan box will help. There are lots of news feeds not listed on Lyngsat

Get the Mercury II. I don't have one, but from user reviews and its reputation, it'll blow the CW receiver away. $85 is an absolutely incredible price for this level of receiver. You'll be hooked on FTA and need a motor in no time! ;)

Techno was interested in a cheap receiver for Grandma.
You can disregard the $50 part of my answer to him, but do see the other comments:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1142154-post8.html

You went cheap on the CW600. Ya found FTA to your liking. - :up
Now you want more. Don't screw around this time. - :cool:
Read the comments on the forum about these other two receivers, close your eyes, and jump in! :eek:
SatelliteAV has both.

edit:
...and maybe some of you feed-hunters would care to suggest nearby birds the OP might like to monitor with a two- or three-LNB setup.
It's cheaper than a motor, easier to setup, and instant to switch birds.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts