Would a 12 footer look good out here?

SkySurfer80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
I have my current ku band dish out here approximately 150 ft from the house to clear the big trees covering 87 to 125, I cant put it anywhere else and was wondering if you guys think this would be a good idea to put a BUD out here? I know the neighborhood would be curious what I am doing. Lol. I personally think a 12 ft monster would look good out here but am curious how far away I would need to be away from my current dish and would a 180 ft c band ribbon cable run be too long?

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20190711_161658.jpg
    IMG_20190711_161658.jpg
    350.9 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_20190711_161228.jpg
    IMG_20190711_161228.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_20190711_161640.jpg
    IMG_20190711_161640.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 228
Reactions: FTA4PA
Put the C-band dish right BEHIND that one at around 8 feet away, and on a pole tall enough where the bottom edge of the C-band dish never gets lower than about 5 ft from the ground, or a height where you won't clock your head running under it with a rider lawnmower.

The KU dish sees much higher than what it looks like it's looking at, and the C-band dish being behind, and higher, won't interfere or be interfered with the ku dish.

180~ft run is fine, and well within specs, IF, you use a GOOD Rg-6 full copper (not copper over steel) coax. I am VERY partial to quad-shield coax, and I don't buy the cheap stuff. I get it on a 1,000ft reel. I go through those about every two or so years with reconfigs and such. Run some spare/extra coaxs out there at the same time. It's easier at the beginning with your trench, than later if you have a bad coax, or want another run for something else. I put mine in polyethylene coiled pipe. Saves my coax from a wife with a shovel, when she's working on the yard...

Add some Thomas-Betts quad shield coax compression connectors, and a kit to install them. You'll likely need some 12 gauge wiring to run out that far for motor wiring, and some 2 conductor 16 (or even 18) gauge SHIELDED wire for the motor sensor. IF you plan on having old-school lnb with a servo setup, add another separate shielded cable with 4 conductors for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
Put the C-band dish right BEHIND that one at around 8 feet away, and on a pole tall enough where the bottom edge of the C-band dish never gets lower than about 5 ft from the ground, or a height where you won't clock your head running under it with a rider lawnmower.

The KU dish sees much higher than what it looks like it's looking at, and the C-band dish being behind, and higher, won't interfere or be interfered with the ku dish.

180~ft run is fine, and well within specs, IF, you use a GOOD Rg-6 full copper (not copper over steel) coax. I am VERY partial to quad-shield coax, and I don't buy the cheap stuff. I get it on a 1,000ft reel. I go through those about every two or so years with reconfigs and such.

I bought my rg6 from Walmart. It is quad shielded. I paid $45 for 2 seperate 75 ft runs and combined them with 2 barrels from Lowes, the 3ghz ones.

I figure I dont have to order c band ribbon cable, i can buy motor wire from lowes cant I?

No, you don't have to order c-band ribbon cable, it's almost impossible to find anymore anyway. You can use wire from Lowes or Home Depot just fine and make up your own ribbon cable. I personally would NOT use rg-6 from Walmart. I also am against using barrels, except in emergencies. Figure a 1db loss minimum for each barrel connection. Always try to run them as one length.

You can find good quad shield rg-6, 1,000ft reel for around $125 or less shipped price. Believe me, you don't want to skimp on coax, and cheap stuff can cause you more grief than you'd probably believe right now. I can tell you HORROR stories, as most of us likely can.

Please also re-read my post, as I added more info.

No, you don't have to order c-band ribbon cable, it's almost impossible to find anymore anyway. You can use wire from Lowes or Home Depot just fine and make up your own ribbon cable. I personally would NOT use rg-6 from Walmart. I also am against using barrels, except in emergencies. Figure a 1db loss minimum for each barrel connection. Always try to run them as one length.

You can find good quad shield rg-6, 1,000ft reel for around $125 or less shipped price. Believe me, you don't want to skimp on coax, and cheap stuff can cause you more grief than you'd probably believe right now. I can tell you HORROR stories, as most of us likely can.

Please also re-read my post, as I added more info.

Thanks for the info. A local radio station has a 14 ft or so mesh dish in new looking shape pointing north and low so I know it is not being used. Idk how I would be able to pick that sucker up to mount.

Make sure the "14 footer at the radio station" isn't a fixed dish, as it likely IS. You really need a motorized C-band dish, as it saves a lot of space over multiple fixed dishes.

If it has a polar mount, and simply has a fixed bar in place of a motor drive, it can likely be motorized. However, a 24" to 36" actuator that can move that dish, will cost around $250~ if you have to buy one.

No. It doesnt look like it motor is on it. I looked it up on google and here is a pic. It is a pretty dish though.

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20190711-224445_Maps.jpg
    Resized_Screenshot_20190711-224445_Maps.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 202
No. It doesnt look like it motor is on it. I looked it up on google and here is a pic. It is a pretty dish though.

Well, it's a good looking dish. If it does only have a fixed mount at present, it certainly LOOKS capable of having a polar mount transplanted to it.

That's a project many of us have done in the past, so it's doable if you are careful, and pay strict attention to things. Of course, you'd have to get your hands on a good usable donor polar mount. Though that all might be more work than you're ready for at this point.

Need a picture of the back of the dish to know for sure if it has a polar mount or not.
Would certainly look fine in that empty lot though! Since you got cable from Wal Mart you can paint the big happy face on it too! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts