Would everything fit on AMC-6 in MPEG4?

HookedOnTV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
Molalla Or
If they had to vacate 61.5 could they get everything on the leased transponders on AMC-6 if they made the switch to MPEG4?

They could lease up to 24 Tps if they want to. Look up the contract and it will say so that the option is there if they are willing to execute it.

But, as I understand it, AMC6 is less powerful so we will need bigger dishes, is that correct? And I have seen conflicting messages here as to the location of AMC6, is it also at 61.5?

If we don't need a bigger dish and AMC6 is at 61.5 could VOOM simply switch to the new Sattellite and we wouldn't know about it? Showing my ignorance here I suspect.

AMC-6 or "R-2" uses different frequencies than R-1. So, even if it was at the same orbital location you would need a different LNB on the Dish to pick up the different frequencies. The switchover would probably involve a 30" or so dish, a new LNB and of course pointing the dish at 72 instead of 61.5. This will help the west coast people with a better look angle. The larger dish will also help with rain fade.

I suspect if the sale of VOOM to Dolan Sr were to go through, they would start simulcasting R-1 content on R-2 right away and start to switch out the dishes. It should not take long to do the switchout and VOOM service would continue as if nothing happened, except now they have more capacity and could offer more channels.

Thinking about it some more it could even be possible that VOOM would trade 72 for a different satellite location. They might try to lease from SES a different location with more of a CONUS view, maybe even AK/HI. Without 61.5 there is nothing to tie them to 72 (which using the closeness would have made a smaller dish to pick up both at the same time).

That would be a stunning shot in the arm if VOOM were to move to the 100-125 range and have a much higher look angle for the west coast and service to AK/HI.

mike123abc said:
Thinking about it some more it could even be possible that VOOM would trade 72 for a different satellite location. They might try to lease from SES a different location with more of a CONUS view, maybe even AK/HI. Without 61.5 there is nothing to tie them to 72 (which using the closeness would have made a smaller dish to pick up both at the same time).

That would be a stunning shot in the arm if VOOM were to move to the 100-125 range and have a much higher look angle for the west coast and service to AK/HI.

Are there other options available with enough bandwidth to allow Voom to do this? And with room to grow down the road? I don't know enough to determine if this is feasible, but it's something I have been wondering about with the sale of Rainbow-1 to E*. If they have to go through a re-aim and/or new dishes anyway, it would make sense to consider this.

mike123abc said:
The larger dish will also help with rain fade.
Interesting. I was under the assumption the bigger dish was to bring in the weaker Ku band signal. Is Ku not as subject to rain fade as DBS band?

Thanks, Rob (Ku ignorant ;) ).

Think Primestar size Dish:

Primestar_Finding_Focal_Point.jpg

mike123abc said:
Thinking about it some more it could even be possible that VOOM would trade 72 for a different satellite location. They might try to lease from SES a different location with more of a CONUS view, maybe even AK/HI.
Anything is possible, but much is unlikely. SES also has E* to contend with. They are the major partner and the finances say that E* will be around to be a long term lease holder. V* is fortunate to have what they got.

I have not sought out all of SES' locations -- are there any other ku-FSS slots that are not already full of signals or pledged to E*? The one nice thing about the more central slots is that commercial providers can reach the entire US with one uplinked feed. That places those slots at a premium. A premium that V* may not be able to pay.

JL

rvsixer said:
Interesting. I was under the assumption the bigger dish was to bring in the weaker Ku band signal. Is Ku not as subject to rain fade as DBS band?

Thanks, Rob (Ku ignorant ;) ).

The R-2 satellite has 110w/TP. A bit less than 1/2 R-1. But, since you need a 30" minimum dish anyways it more than makes up for the signal strength being lower. You need 30" minimum because Ku-FSS satellites are only 2 degrees apart and 30" is about the smallest a dish can be and see just one satellite and not get the neighboring satellites. Ku-DBS is 9 degree spacing allowing a much smaller dish since they do not have to worry about the neighboring satellites interfering with it. I suspect the new dish would be somewhere between 30 and 34 inches.

mike123abc said:
I suspect if the sale of VOOM to Dolan Sr were to go through, they would start simulcasting R-1 content on R-2 right away and start to switch out the dishes. It should not take long to do the switchout and VOOM service would continue as if nothing happened, except now they have more capacity and could offer more channels.

A good idea would be to mirror all of the content in MPEG 4 on R-2 so when a installer comes out to install the new dish they could also upgrade all of the boxes as well saving time any money. But I know that business does not work like that, but it would be a good idea for them. :)

Although it might be better to move to a more centrally located satellite it would also make it a lot more complicated to convert current customers. R-2 can be hit within a few degrees of R-1. Installs can just swap out the dish and LNB at the current location. Whereas a satellite further west would likely require a new mount and cable run. Even worse, some current subscribers might not be able to hit the other satellite.

VoOm figured that they would need to swap everyone's dishes out anyways if they were to have 61.5 and 72 so they figure this would not cost them more than it would previously. If anything it would cost less seeing that they would not be using 61.5 anymore.

Bruce, what is all those contraptions on that PrimeStar dish? It looks like it may be something used for receiving/transmitting transmissions for internet or something.

I sure wish they would offer a self upgrade kit for this, it will be a nightmare trying to get everyone upgraded in a short time span.

jame_g said:
Are there other options available with enough bandwidth to allow Voom to do this? And with room to grow down the road? I don't know enough to determine if this is feasible, but it's something I have been wondering about with the sale of Rainbow-1 to E*. If they have to go through a re-aim and/or new dishes anyway, it would make sense to consider this.

I've been in and out of the office for the past couple weeks doing random freelnace gigs and the latest rumors is that Dolan Sr. wants to keep Rainbow 1 and buy it along with the Voom21 channels....This is quite possible because nothing has been approved by the SEC yet.

DarrellP said:
I sure wish they would offer a self upgrade kit for this, it will be a nightmare trying to get everyone upgraded in a short time span.
Or would it be a nightmare for 20k+ subcribers to try to find a FSS bird. Self install is nice, but the general population cannot do them. People in this group are more likely to be able to pull one off, but in most cases "sellf install" becomes "hire a local installer". Which wouldn't be a bad idea.

JL

davis_mcgreaw said:
I've been in and out of the office for the past couple weeks doing random freelnace gigs and the latest rumors is that Dolan Sr. wants to keep Rainbow 1 and buy it along with the Voom21 channels....This is quite possible because nothing has been approved by the SEC yet.
Please read the entire forum for the past two weeks. You have missed quite a bit.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)