Would have been nice to know...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

atp1313

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Goose Creek, SC
Is it the fault of CNN or D* that my program guide did not show any information about the Democratic Debate from Charleston tonight? It was carried on CNN, but the guide shows "The Situation Room" and "Paula Zahn Now" from 7-9pm, respectively. I had searched for "DEBATE" using Keywords and Title, and nothing comes up. And also, why is this thing happening at 7pm EDT? Is CNN really expecting anyone to be watching this thing at 4PM PDT? If they are the hosts and it is only on their network, can't they do a better job of picking a time that would allow more Americans to watch it?

The whole thing seems kind of amateurish. :rolleyes:

CNN provides the guide data to Tribune who then in turn sells it to DirecTV (and everyone else). So if the guide data is wrong, 99.9% chance it's either a mess up by Tribune or CNN.

D* does their program line up monthly. So if the Debate wasn't in the line up ,they must not have known about it. Just As I had no Idea their even was a debate.

D* does their program line up monthly. So if the Debate wasn't in the line up ,they must not have known about it. Just As I had no Idea their even was a debate.

How come I occasionally see presidential addresses on the guide when those are generally announced just days in advance?:confused:

I think we're talking about two things here... the on-screen Electronic Program guide (EPG) and the monthly Access DirecTV magazine.

First, for the magazine-even though it is distributed just before the beginning of the month, there is still a lead time of many weeks for program info submission, so if the debate wasn't locked in at deadline, it would not be included in the magazine's guide pages.

However, for the EPG, changes can be submitted up to a day or two before the program, so it should be the most accurate guide. If someone dropped the ball at CNN or Tribune, as noted before, that would explain the omission. In this case, D* is only passing on the info it receives from Tribune.

However, for the EPG, changes can be submitted up to a day or two before the program, so it should be the most accurate guide. If someone dropped the ball at CNN or Tribune, as noted before, that would explain the omission. In this case, D* is only passing on the info it receives from Tribune.
I realize that this is the 27th debate of 94 to happen before the election next year :D but this is a fairly decent screw-up. Especially when your network is sponsoring the event.

WARNING...OFF TOPIC:
Just a side note, I saw some newsreel from April 1960 where JFK was announcing his candidacy for president. This was just 7 month before the election!! Now we have seemingly hundreds of candidate announcing 1.5+ years in advance. I yearn for an earlier time... :rolleyes:

Just a side note, I saw some newsreel from April 1960 where JFK was announcing his candidacy for president. This was just 7 month before the election!! Now we have seemingly hundreds of candidate announcing 1.5+ years in advance. I yearn for an earlier time... :rolleyes:

That's probably one of the reasons for this thread; few people are not interested in hearing what these people have to say, especially this far from the primary.

Good question!! But looking in my monthly Access magazine it also says nothing about the debate. I would call Directv for a better answer.

Access magazine has nothing to do with the guide data on the receivers which are constantly updated on at least a daily basis from Tribune.

Access magazine has nothing to do with the guide data on the receivers which are constantly updated on at least a daily basis from Tribune.
Has nothing to do with the guide? What do you think access magazine is for ? A guide for programming. I can agree that programming does change ,and its not always correct. But I'd say its right on 97% of the time. Your local programming is a different story.

All I'm saying is that the Access magazine, even more so then TV Guide, is just an estimate of what will be. The guide data is updated at least daily and sometimes quicker then that. So when the Pres decides to do a talk to the nation the next day, most DVRs have updated their guide data by the time of the talk. Obviously a magazine can't update itself like this. ;)

But for most things, yes, the magazine is fine. But not for late breaking things or sports playoffs and such. What you seemed to infer, and maybe I read it wrong, is that the guide data is in stone for a month which just isn't true.

...The guide data is updated at least daily and sometimes quicker then that...

So this would have been a D* error or Tribune? Does Tribune have editing capabilities to D*'s system, or do they simply create a database/spreadsheet every day and "email it" to someone at D* who then must plug in this new data?

Who's to say. If it was a last minute change it wouldn't have gotten in the stream in time. I guarantee you 95% that it was the fault of CNN not providing accurate guide data. Almost always is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)