Would it work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kjlued

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
In your head
Not that I see a lot of purpose to it, but could a standard 18 dish or multisat dish be converted to SWM with a SWM16 or other SWM mutiswitch?

Just like on a regular 6x8, you have 4 SAT in ports.
You have a 13v and 18v port for the 99/101 and a 13v and 18v for the 103/110/119.

That being said, as we all know, a regular 6x8 can be used with an 18" dish by just using the 99/101 ports. Can the same be done on the SWM multiswitch? If so, then one line could be ran to any R16 or R22. Also in theory a Broad Band DECA could be used for VOD if a customer had an R22 and if a customer had multiple R22's then they could use MRV (if D* would activate it on a standard def account).

Just currious.
Can't see why it wouldn't work.

Not that I see a lot of purpose to it, but could a standard 18 dish or multisat dish be converted to SWM with a SWM16 or other SWM mutiswitch?
folks have slapped a SWM LNB on a Phase III dish with decent results. Signals are low but works great for tailgating

Just like on a regular 6x8, you have 4 SAT in ports.
You have a 13v and 18v port for the 99/101 and a 13v and 18v for the 103/110/119.

That being said, as we all know, a regular 6x8 can be used with an 18" dish by just using the 99/101 ports. Can the same be done on the SWM multiswitch? If so, then one line could be ran to any R16 or R22. Also in theory a Broad Band DECA could be used for VOD if a customer had an R22 and if a customer had multiple R22's then they could use MRV (if D* would activate it on a standard def account).
D* wont activate MRV on a R22 only account. Been there tried that (I have 2 R22's). They wont even turn on the HD unless there is a "legit" HD receiver on the account. I ended up getting a H23 and the free HD for 24 month promo

And yes you can hook a 6x8 to a 18" only dish...kinda overkill but I had one set up for a while (before I upgraded to HD)
2 lines to a R22
2 lines to a 2nd R22
1 line to a H10 used only for digital OTA

folks have slapped a SWM LNB on a Phase III dish with decent results. Signals are low but works great for tailgating

No, you are missing the question (or I am just not explaining clearly enough lol)

What I want to know is can you use an 18" dish with the proper dual LNB, run it to a SWM 8 or 16 multiswitch using only the 99/101 ports which would allow you run 1 line to each DVR and/or a Broad Broadband kit (if they had an R22).

Really it does not serve a lot of purpose as it would be cheaper to get a Slimline dish then a SWM 8 or 16, but it is just more out of curriosity.

Highly unlikely....tell ya what. Send me a SWM 8 multiswitch and I'll test for ya ;)
(all I have here is the SWM8 splitter)

But from what I have read SWM will only work with the SWM LNB because everything is bandstacked. You also cant have MRV on a SD only account. It would be nice to have only one line for the DVR's if one was SD only install but only the R16 is SWM compatible (yes the R22 is too but from what stonecold has said you'd be lucky to get one. He gives me crap because I have 2...one on a equipment swap from a bought R15) :)

But from what I have read SWM will only work with the SWM LNB because everything is bandstacked.

No dude, the (external) SWM8 & SWM16 switches ONLY work with NON-SWM LNB's, so that wouldn't even make sense.

What he's asking is - since obviously you can (must, actually) run a non-SWM (slimline) 3 OR 5 LNB into an (external) SWM8 or 16 switch, can you also simply use a dual LNB on an 18" dish & feed these same switches, to enable SWM on an SD only system? Or for that matter, a P3 oval dish f/folks w/119 SD locals, etc? Of course, the only SD only receivers it would work on, would be D12's & R16's. (obviously it would on the R22's, but I count them as HD, so never mind on those...)

And my answer would be - I can't see any reason why you couldn't; but I have never tested it before. It's really not all that much different than taking that same dish/LNB & running it into an WB68 or WB616, which definitely DOES work.
According to this, it says it works with ANY non-SWM dish:

http://www.swm8.com/swm-specifications.php

Compatible Dishes

* The SWM8 will work with any non-SWM dish, current or older.

So, I think it's safe to say it will work... ;)

Last edited:
yeah after I posted and logged off I thought about it more and realized I screwed up ;)
When they aimed my slimline the tech used the old slimline 3 LNB to aim it then swapped out for the SWM setup

After looking at the specs and pics a little more you are right it probably would work. Sorry for the confusion :)

I'm pretty sure I read that SWiM switches don't work with antique LNBs; they uniquely require a Ka/Ku "legacy" LNB.

why not?

The link posted above by DishRich says
"The SWM8 will work with any non-SWM dish, current or older."

An 18" dish would be classified as a "non-swm switch...older"

The old slimline LNB had 4 outputs. If you had 4 tuners they went directly to the LNB. More than that used a switch
The old Phase III dish had 4 outputs too....same rules above

So I dont see why you couldnt plug a old 18" dish into one of them after reading the info. It would be kinda overkill unless someone has like 4 SD DVR's

I can't see why it would not work and would test it if I could get a clear LOS from the ground at my house. Unfortunately. not the case.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)