Would someone be willing to verify I need new LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

R_Turner

Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
NC
The other day, the dreaded 775 popped up. I have done all the resetting procedures multiple times. I have tried using just one receiver on the system. Nothing has worked. I had a picture for about 30 seconds today after trying one last time, then it went right back to 775. I have posted a very crude, but correct diagram of my system as it is and was installed below. I wanted to get some expert input before i buy an LNB. I pretty much refuse to have a tech out, because this is not rocket science, it's basic signal routing to mostly non-servicable components. Check my diagram and make sure everything looks up to snuff as far as routing and placement. System has been running fine for about 2 years i believe.

Randy
Satsetup.jpg

The other day, the dreaded 775 popped up. I have done all the resetting procedures multiple times. I have tried using just one receiver on the system. Nothing has worked. I had a picture for about 30 seconds today after trying one last time, then it went right back to 775. I have posted a very crude, but correct diagram of my system as it is and was installed below. I wanted to get some expert input before i buy an LNB. I pretty much refuse to have a tech out, because this is not rocket science, it's basic signal routing to mostly non-servicable components. Check my diagram and make sure everything looks up to snuff as far as routing and placement. System has been running fine for about 2 years i believe.

Randy
View attachment 93650

Randy,
Your rig looks ok. A few EZ tests =If you have NO HD service or IF every other transponder is missing from the 101 sat.IF you are receiving service from the 110 sat or the 119.....these will have missing channels.Finally, the problem will be on all TV / receivers. IF one set works normally the problem is not the LNB.

Report what you find.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. No receiver in the house will make it past startup. They all stop here. 20131223_170455_RichtoneHDR.jpg

The transponders all show zeros and N/A.
Signal meters show "Not aquired" and are blank.
System test shows "SWM not detected"

Just checking, because you said you did all the resetting procedures already, but ...
You did, dis connect your SWM power inserter as well when rebooting the system, correct ?

Outside of checking that, I would go with Joes recommendations.

Just checking, because you said you did all the resetting procedures already, but ...
You did, dis connect your SWM power inserter as well when rebooting the system, correct ?

Outside of checking that, I would go with Joes recommendations.
Yep. Unplugged it for several hours and started by plugging it in first and waiting about 10 minutes before plugging in a receiver.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Randy!

Is the power inserter plugged into the wall or a power strip? If a strip, try plugging it straight into the wall. I assume the power inserter is on the power passing leg of the splitter, otherwise it would never have worked correctly. Check that anyways. Also, check all of the cabling and connectors, especially the ones from the 2 way splitter to the dish.

This could be a job for the magic hammer,
Turn everything on and go out and tap on the base of the mast. Without moving ot denting the LNB tap on it. Sometimes everything gets ok just from that.

While you are up there, look for rust & skid marks around the clamps that hold az & el. The common failure could also be an alignment issue. Had high wind recently? Do the signal meters work? Anything on any transponder?
On the way back down inspect fittings and cable from the dish back to the splitter. IF you are in an area with freeze & thaw cycles it is possible for water in a fitting to finally push itself out of a connection. Open any questionable outdoor fitting to make sure the center wire is still there.

This ain't rocket science.......that work in done by another low bidder.

Joe

Did the hammer routine right before posting I think I'm gonna snag an LNB on ebay. Everything else seems OK. I'll report back.

wouldn't an LNB generate a 771 error rather than a 775?
My experience has been that usually, a 775 is caused by either:
1. The power inserter was moved to a different room (already covered by asking if it was on the power passing leg(s) of the splitter(s).
2. The power Inserter has failed (aka, it's broke)
3. A bad coax somewhere between the power inserter and the dish, or
4. A bad connector somewhere between the power inserter and the dish

note: edited to add #2

wouldn't an LNB generate a 771 error rather than a 775?
My experience has been that usually, a 775 is caused by either:
1. The power inserter was moved to a different room (already covered by asking if it was on the power passing leg(s) of the splitter(s).
2. The power Inserter has failed (aka, it's broke)
3. A bad coax somewhere between the power inserter and the dish, or
4. A bad connector somewhere between the power inserter and the dish

note: edited to add #2

I have zero experience with error codes. All my service orders said...."Go there...fix pic...see cx." The result will be the same. IF changing out the LNB cures this that is good. Next thing down the pipe is the splitter.....then the PI.

There is a need to isolate the working portion of the system and reproduce the failure. Getting close.

Joe

wouldn't an LNB generate a 771 error rather than a 775? My experience has been that usually, a 775 is caused by either: 1. The power inserter was moved to a different room (already covered by asking if it was on the power passing leg(s) of the splitter(s). 2. The power Inserter has failed (aka, it's broke) 3. A bad coax somewhere between the power inserter and the dish, or 4. A bad connector somewhere between the power inserter and the dish note: edited to add #2

Yes and no. 1 of your situations is about 90% of the time. But a bad SWM LNB could do the same thing. Bad SWM LNBs do some weird and crazy stuff at times

At this point, I don't know what else it could be. The PI is sending 20.6VDC to the LNB. I've tested it with a DVM. The system test says "SWM not detected". I see some replacement LNBs for not much coin. I'm gonna take the "plunge". Have a good Christmas.

Last edited:
Hey, even if it's not the lnb, it's a good idea to have a spare on hand.

They look to be the same to me. Maybe one is a newer model, but they do the same thing.

When you tested the voltage, was that from the output of the power inserter or at the end of the cable where it enters the dish? Just curious for future reference

Run a new cable from the lnb through the power inserter to your receiver.

Just run it through a door or window as a temporary setup.

If it works, then you got a bad connection somewhere.

If it doesn't work, then test the voltage on the coax going out on the power inserter, and that will tell you if your lnb is bad or the power inserter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)