Would spectrum for MVDDS TV as a supplement to OTA Televison good idea or not

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jxg0754

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
ohio
If the FCC were to open up spectrum for MVDDS TV as a supplement to OTA Television would it be a good idea or not, it has capcity for more than 2000 mpeg-2 channels more with mpeg-4, would be good if it could use hevc, up to 16 digital mpeg-2 dvb channels with a single transmitter, looks to have 200 km (124.274 miles) radius with a 4 watt transmitter, imagine the the bandwidth being divided and given to broadcasters as channels with sub channels and maybe even new ones made available, i think it could be a good idea with the auction and repack

Info take from MDS America

Last edited:
If it were possible what would be shown for programming on it? Todays bandwidth is wasted for the most part with programming of little entertainment value.

I remember MMDS back in the day when it was supposedly a competition to cable (pre DSS satellite). Didn't work real well because you needed an antenna aimed at the tower and needed good line of site.

Plus lots of places wont allow dishes (apartments)...so there goes a bunch of customers

i just thought of it as another way to get broadcast tv,and more channels available in every market, i would say viewers instead of customers since OTA Television is free, i think it would be cool to possibly get channels from other markets with the radius the technology can transmit, if line of site is a problem with the technology, maybe that kymeta corp could develop a antenna with their metamaterials technology, maybe that metamaterials technology could work indoors also

i would like to see a secondary tv band created if possible using that MVDDS technology with some Ka-Band spectrum, while there would be more Mhz given there would still not be nearly the same bandwidth i do believe, the company behind the technology MVDDS is MDS America i would like to see if they could team up with Newtec they have been able to get 310 Mbps over a 36mhz transpoder the article is here , that could amount if divided into 6 mhz channels to 51 Mbps and given to existing broadcasters and still keep their OTA Channel and even issue new licenses in the secondary band, if the technologies between the two companies could be molded together, i think it is a good idea if possible, i had made a post about this before but not with the idea behind newtec's technology, with MVDDS the technology says it is possible to have 200 km radius with a 4 watt transmitter, of course the spectrum given may be the same amount that mostly Dish Network has with their current MVDDS licenses would probably have to be divided up by markets, each market has a block or certain blocks, maybe even low power blocks can be created that would be larger than most current low power or class a stations radius wise

Last edited:
Does there need to be another system added for delivering TV or can they get by if they just stop auctioning off TV spectrum?

Anything cellular in nature is going to leave many rural customers in the dark. Take a look and the coverage maps for WISPs.

I live three blocks from the city limits and I can't get AT&T, Clear or Cricket. I can't imagine starting over with what we went through with early days of cell phones.

Too bad Dish Network owns almost all MVDDS spectrum in the US.

there is other spectrum that can be used for MVDDS,
Ka-band spectrum i do believe can be used,
it's just and idea that i thought could be cool though probably to late to be available to go along with the repack,
markets could be divided up into blocks,
no co-channel interference because markets would be in separate blocks,
longer transmitting distance
but a network would have to be built to get the stations to the transmitters, repeaters are also possible

Broadcast television has the best frequencies. It can penetrate walls eliminating outdoor antennas for most people (most the population in the US lives in cities near the transmitters). Ka/Ku and MVDDS do not have those advantages. This is why the cell companies want the TV spectrum so badly, they want to be able to have better indoor coverage at a farther range.

according to this link here (which needs to be translated) the technology is feasible in the 40.5-43.5 GHz band,
which now i realize is not ka-band sorry for that mix up

it was just an idea, that could most likely not occur before the repack, the ability to receive channels from a greater distance with the technology i thought was so cool, i am looking forward to see what Sinclair comes up with for a new standard

according to this link here (which needs to be translated) the technology is feasible in the 40.5-43.5 GHz band,
which now i realize is not ka-band sorry for that mix up
There's a PDF about a third of the way down document that describes the system in English (Anglais).

http://www.hypercable.fr/images/stories/hypercable/Hypercable_Gigaplex_ENG_V6.pdf

The examples are all suspiciously similar: A tall mountain-based tower that overlooks a broad valley where the customers live. The part about relay stations (Gapfillers) to cover the weak spots doesn't exactly make my knees weak. The example they use is in the 10-12GHz range.

There's a PDF about a third of the way down document that describes the system in English (Anglais).

http://www.hypercable.fr/images/stories/hypercable/Hypercable_Gigaplex_ENG_V6.pdf

The examples are all suspiciously similar: A tall mountain-based tower that overlooks a broad valley where the customers live. The part about relay stations (Gapfillers) to cover the weak spots doesn't exactly make my knees weak. The example they use is in the 10-12GHz range.

Looks like they are trying to recreate a satellite experience with a high vantage point with clear line of site...

Line of sight like wisps (wireless internet service providers) would need. Same as what satellite needs, line of sight. The higher frequencies are great and are the way to go for those that are within sight of the transmitter. I assume that the majority are not so it would not be the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts