Would you have signed up with current pricing?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

barth2k

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
For current customers, would you have signed up with V* if at that time they'd had the current pricing.

I.e., $200 install, $50+rental for Voom pkg, $90+rental for VaVaVoom, $20 for premium pk, etc. And NO FREEBIE programming.

Obviously, the charter members would've jumped on the deal anyway. I personally would not have w/o the free install deal b/c I'd read enough horror stories to be wary.

The $200 install would definitely have turned me off.

The monthly increases aren't that bad if you paid for the receivers, however for those of us that lease, it makes VOOM's prices almost the same as the other DBS providers, which is bad.

I hope VOOM rethnks this...

1) I originally paid about $800.00 for my system so $200.00 strikes me as fair ...

2) It's very hard to adequately judge whether or not one would pay $200.00 if the free promo "never happened". The cat is out of the bag ... we all know it was free once and thus the value for us, current customers, would obviously be at that same level. Newer customers may think that $200.00 is a fair price for close to 40 HD channels (refer to answer 1)

3) HDTVs are, at the cheapest, $500.00. Most of us spent way more than that. Why ?? Because we all saw HD and loved and wanted it. Spending $3000.00 on a TV doesn't seem ludicrous to most here, so why is it that $200.00 for an install that provides content for that TV does to some (refer to answer 2)

4) One does not buy a Ferrari and complain about the cost of high octane gasoline (I understand that our "Ferrari" breaks a lot ... leaves something to be desired at times, but hey Ferraris themselves are rumoured to do that). I understand Voom has "issues" but they offer more of the kind of content I'm looking for, namely HD. I would rather give my money to a company who's willing to pioneer a new service (Satellite Radio is great if you don't have that, by the way) than to the old stand-bys who constantly say "we're gonna do that too", but end up doing nothing (D*, E*, TWC, etc.).

Just my 2 cents ...

The only reason I choose to give VOOM a shot was the $0 down on everything.

Plus with the current pricing, you are paying almost $100 a month for just 1 box. And then if you want additional boxes, the rental fee is not the same as the first box, but increases. I would definitley not have signed up with the new rates. $100 for 1 box with all channels just seems way to expensive to me. Call me crazy but it is. I dont watch any movies on the older channels, and I dont really watch that many movies on the main movie channels as it is. I usually have the blockbuster movies on DVD with progressive scan.

Anyhow now with the current deals/prices and/or if they would have charged me to do an install, I would never had have VOOM.

I just dont get what they were thinking with the new current prices etc. Are they really thinking people are gonna jump all over this?

Whiteice

PS. I have also had close to 10+ issues with VOOM and I have only had them about 2 months if that. My decission with the no answer is also incorporating my frustrations with VOOM as well (I dont mean to be rude here) as a very very stupid CS center. Why is it every question I have, they have to put me on hold to check with someone else? "Can you just put the person who you keep asking on the phone so you dont waste my time?"

Before VOOM had the 0 down deal I suggested in a post that they should try the rental option as cable does for every piece of equipment that they sub out. I cant see why they had to get rid of the zero down install....if I were VOOM I would have kept the zero down install and added a one year req for new customers. Lock them in for one year. But to answer the question...no I wouldnt have tried VOOM for the current install plan. The rates dont bother me as much as the 200 I would have to put down right off the bat. As soon as i heard about the zero down plan...I was in.

No money up-front got me...

I waited until Charter got HD in my area (6 channels) to buy my HDTV. Heard about Voom but couldn't justify buying the equipment. No money up-front deal came along, I almost hurt myself in my haste to get signed up. I have everything Voom offers, can't wait to get more (but not at the expense of PQ). Voom's SD channels look so, so much better than Charter's; Charter's HD looks marginally better than Voom's; outages and reception issues - about the same for both providers.

On the other hand, I had quite a bit of trouble with my 'free installation'. I would not have been so forgiving and understanding if they were charging me $200 bucks! Voom should re-think this price increase, locking subs in for a year sounds like a winner.

Jeff

I was just about to order Directv when I noticed that Voom had begun to offer a nothing out of pocket offer. I ordered Voom and am glad that I made that choice. If the startup costs had been the same as Directv then I would have gotten Directv. I would have committed to a year of Voom to get the free install, but I would have only committed to the Voom basic package. My original order for Voom was Voom Basic, but the day of the install I switched to Va Va Voom, because I realized that the "gold" in the package is the HBOHD, ShowtimeHD, CinemaxHD, StarzHD and TMCHD. The pricing for these channels is better with Voom than Directv, but with Voom's new price structure the Voom advantage is harder to see.

I had HD service with my local cable company, Cox, and the reason I tried voom was the free installation and rental of equipment. If they didn't have this offer I would of probably stuck with my local cable company.

seandudley said:
I agree. I think their best bet would be to have an option:

#1: $200 install, no commitment.
#2: Free install, 1 year commitment.

This makes sense to me.

Obviously, when you offer free install, no commitment, reasonably priced programming, and free deinstall the percentage of people who just want "to give it a shot" is high and the churn rate is also prohibitively high making the whole experiment costly for Voom. In addition, those customers who just want "to give it a shot" are more likely to be disappointed and they are more likely to bitch about something missing in the "free" offer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)