Would You Pay For EXT Storage?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Would You Pay For EXT Storage?

• Yes, I will pay for it regardless

Votes: 21 7.1%
  • I would only buy a Dish branded drive

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • I would only pay a monthly fee

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • I would not pay for this

Votes: 246 83.7%

• Total voters
Not having this for so long is a blunder...but a forgivable when it comes out. Trying to extort money for this a MISTAKE ala Sony and BDR in the PS3....

Listen to us E* dont be stupid.

I'd be willing to pay for a Dish branded HDD but, only if...

1) There are various storage capacity options available. I'll take the 1T please :D

AND

2) There isn't a significant premium over currently available HDD solutions. Milk me for $25-$50 but, I'd draw the line anywhere beyond that.

If a monthly fee were charged, there's no way I'd go for it. Enough with the nickel & dime crap already. If I see one more monthly fee on my bill, I'll be riding out the term of my contract and then shopping elsewhere.

Well so far 131 out of 150 people voted for not GOING to pay for it. This is a clear statement of what the customer wants.

Of course we, the customers say we don't want to pay for it, we want everything for free. But what would we really do, if they did offer only DISH branded drives for a $25 premium over the typical selling price of a comparable drive? Or you could buy and use your own drives for a $1/month fee? I'm sure that most of us that said they wouldn't pay, would fork up some cash.

Sure we'd like to give Dish a piece of our minds here on this forum and tell them that we don't want to pay extra for the drives or the service. However, I'm sure a corporation as large as E* does some marketing research outside of looking at the polls on various forums. Trust me, once they drives are available, if it's $25 or a buck a month, we'd have 131 out of 150 ViP622 users from this forum ordering the drives.

Of course we, the customers say we don't want to pay for it, we want everything for free. But what would we really do, if they did offer only DISH branded drives for a $25 premium over the typical selling price of a comparable drive? Or you could buy and use your own drives for a $1/month fee? I'm sure that most of us that said they wouldn't pay, would fork up some cash.

Sure we'd like to give Dish a piece of our minds here on this forum and tell them that we don't want to pay extra for the drives or the service. However, I'm sure a corporation as large as E* does some marketing research outside of looking at the polls on various forums. Trust me, once they drives are available, if it's $25 or a buck a month, we'd have 131 out of 150 ViP622 users from this forum ordering the drives.

I admit you definately got a point there. It was more like not GOING to pay for it, than not WANTING to pay for it. I don't WANT to pay for it either. I was just curios about how many people will NOT go for it, if there's money involved, regardless of the price. I should have clarified this better in the description of the poll.:)

DVDDAD:

You have a point. But it's not "just" the money. It's the aggravation of yet another little charge. I hope we're all screaming the sky is falling and it isn't. Dish can have a good marketing bonus here with a feature that meets or beats cable, and without charge. Or they can irritate their best customers, and make their arcane billing system even more impenetrable.

The more I think about it, the more I calm down and see it as "no charge" being the only way that makes sense. Not enough money to be made off selling a few thousand Dish provided external drives with a markup. Not enough money to be made off a monthly fee that will make their best customers think about moving to cable, D*, Fios or whatever. Keep in mind, the Fios DVR today is a joke, but they are looking for a better one now, and their expansion over the next few years will make them a notable competitor.

What costs are you all talking about? I assume you mean the sw cost to control an external hd from a 622 or other E* HD receiver. Surely, you are not asking for a free hard drive. To get a 750 gb usb 2.0 hard drive will cost in the $400 -$500 range, see http://www.flash-memory-store.com/750gb-external-usb-hard-drives.html and http://www.become.com/shop?q=750+gb+Usb+Hard+Drive. I believe 750 gb or 90 hours of HD progamming is a minimum add on size for HD archiving. If you wish HD DISC technology you have 3 competing kinds Blu-ray, HD DVD, and HD-dvd-rw. The hardware to write these discs are just emerging and their costs will be initially high. How long you will need to wait to get a HD Disc drive controlable by a 622 is another dream. For HD most of these HD Disc recorders are recording at 1x. I am hoping the transfer rate to an external hard drive will be at least 20x. The disc capacities were in the 15-20 gb range or 2-3 hours of HD programming.

Last edited:
What costs are you all talking about? I assume you mean the sw cost to control an external hd from a 622 or other E* HD receiver. Surely, you are not asking for a free hard drive. To get a 750 gb usb 2.0 hard drive will cost in the $400 -$500 range, see http://www.flash-memory-store.com/750gb-external-usb-hard-drives.html and http://www.become.com/shop?q=750+gb+Usb+Hard+Drive. I believe 750 gb or 90 hours of HD progamming is a minimum add on size for HD archiving. If you wish HD DISC technology you have 3 competing kinds Blu-ray, HD DVD, and HD-dvd-rw. The hardware to write these discs are just emerging and their costs will be initially high. How long you will need to wait to get a HD Disc drive controlable by a 622 is another dream. For HD most of these HD Disc recorders are recording at 1x. I am hoping the transfer rate to an external hard drive will be at least 20x. The disc capacities were in the 15-20 gb range or 2-3 hours of HD programming.

I can pick up 1TB of USB based storage for a lot less than that. Why do I have to have it on one drive? You lost me there.

I saw a 1TB USB drive (using 2x500 GB platters striped I'm sure) for $400.

Cheers,

I can pick up 1TB of USB based storage for a lot less than that. Why do I have to have it on one drive? You lost me there.

I saw a 1TB USB drive (using 2x500 GB platters striped I'm sure) for $400.

Cheers,

I believe I am describing my consumer preference. Each of my 622s are in cabinets and connections are difficult to reach. So I don't believe I want multiple hard drives that I must swap in/out to get to see archived programming( maybe a Jukebox of hard drives device would be available). I want to add large additional storage capacity that is lazy person friendly. I install it once and I can download programs from my 622's hard drive. I then want to be able to access the program on the add on hard drive via the same 622 DVR interface. I can play programs from the 622's hard drive or the add on hard drive with a click of the remotes select button. An even better idea is that the 622 recognizes the add on hard drive and simply adds the storage to its capacity figures and plays/stores programs on all hard drives as space is available. My 622's manual doesn't go into detail as to how one will interface with add on hard drives. It simply shows the USB and ethernet ports.

There is more info on E*'s web site as to how to interface to the pocket dish. Again access to the 622's rear USB port has made the use of the pocket dish not very practicle for me. I have considered an extension USB cable. The interface sw allows you to transfer video from the 622's DVR to the pocket dish and to get photos from an external device. It does not show a way to retrieve video from the pocketdish.

As to pricing I simply did a search for USB 2.0 add on Hard drives. I presented the cheapest I found. If you have found cheaper offerings please post the references.

I believe I am describing my consumer preference. Each of my 622s are in cabinets and connections are difficult to reach. So I don't believe I want multiple hard drives that I must swap in/out to get to see archived programming( maybe a Jukebox of hard drives device would be available). I want to add large additional storage capacity that is lazy person friendly. I install it once and I can download programs from my 622's hard drive. I then want to be able to access the program on the add on hard drive via the same 622 DVR interface. I can play programs from the 622's hard drive or the add on hard drive with a click of the remotes select button. An even better idea is that the 622 recognizes the add on hard drive and simply adds the storage to its capacity figures and plays/stores programs on all hard drives as space is available. My 622's manual doesn't go into detail as to how one will interface with add on hard drives. It simply shows the USB and ethernet ports.

There is more info on E*'s web site as to how to interface to the pocket dish. Again access to the 622's rear USB port has made the use of the pocket dish not very practicle for me. I have considered an extension USB cable. The interface sw allows you to transfer video from the 622's DVR to the pocket dish and to get photos from an external device. It does not show a way to retrieve video from the pocketdish.

As to pricing I simply did a search for USB 2.0 add on Hard drives. I presented the cheapest I found. If you have found cheaper offerings please post the references.

If the USB port on the back of the 622 is too hard to reach, why don't you use the one on the front behind the right cover, that also features the most used button on the 622: The REBOOT button, which actually belongs on the remote if you ask me.;)

If the USB port on the back of the 622 is too hard to reach, why don't you use the one on the front behind the right cover, that also features the most used button on the 622: The REBOOT button, which actually belongs on the remote if you ask me.;)

Thanks for the suggestion. From the wife's point of view it is ok for a temporary connection( load up a pocketdish or input pictures from a digital camera). However, it does not look good for a permanent connection such as an external hard drive.

Thanks for the suggestion. From the wife's point of view it is ok for a temporary connection( load up a pocketdish or input pictures from a digital camera). However, it does not look good for a permanent connection such as an external hard drive.

I agree, just like if you were using the front USB ports on a PC to permanently connect a USB drive. Makes the whole thing look like you couldn't pull it off.:)

I work in the computer industry. I wouldn't want to expose that much content to a single drive failure. Hard drives are going to fail; it's a question of when, not if.

By spreading content out over multiple drives, you minimize the damage. Instead of losing everything you lose what's on an individual drive.

If you don't value the data, then don't worry about it. But for a little effort, you can get 2TB (see below) for $320 on Black Friday. Seems to me that would be worth the effort.

... Stuff deleted ...

Here's 1TB of USB for $470. The same setup refurbished sells for $400.

If you watch for specials; you'll see them new at $400. There was one about 3 weeks ago that had 1TB for $400. Not right now. As an FYI, on Black Friday 250GBs will be at Best Buy for $40 (not a misprint).

John,

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting somethig like a 2TB RAID 1 set-up w/ 1TB redundancy for someone interested in archiving 100-150 hrs. of HD programming?

I hope that question makes sense... I'm a novice with this stuff, at best. :hatsoff:

AllIn:

It really boils down to this... how much do you value the content? If you don't care, and you just want a lot o' storage space then find the biggest honkin' storage you can (@ 7200 RPMs of course) and use that.

If you value your content start to think about methods of minimizing the impact of a drive failure. When, not if is the question to be asking.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to mount up a network share from a NAS Device and store it there, but that's asking for way too much from Dish :D

Lacking that, if there was a RAID5 with USB interface, I'd go for that assuming the price was palatable.

If Dish tries to make money off of this feature, not only will I not buy it, but I will cancel my account, sell my 622 on e-bay and NEVER return to E*. I will also NEVER recommend Dish Network to anyone. I will discourage everyone I can from getting Dish Network. Then, I'll send an e-mail to ceo@dishnetwork.com and tell him each time I discouraged someone from subscribing.

You wanna play hard ball? I'm game! :mad: :mad: :mad:

If Dish tries to make money off of this feature, not only will I not buy it, but I will cancel my account, sell my 622 on e-bay and NEVER return to E*. I will also NEVER recommend Dish Network to anyone. I will discourage everyone I can from getting Dish Network. Then, I'll send an e-mail to ceo@dishnetwork.com and tell him each time I discouraged someone from subscribing.

You wanna play hard ball? I'm game! :mad: :mad: :mad:

DAWG! You mad?:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts