Would you treat you HD set the same as your Voom receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemama

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
In my time monitoring this forum I have noticed 3 types of users - those that think Voom is the greatest thing since sliced bread, those that think it was the worst experience ever and have since discontinued service, and those that think it's OK for now until something better or cheaper comes along. I'll be the first to admit that most of my posts have been to get a rise out of the diehards, it makes things more interesting.

But now I want to post a couple of serious question. I expect some irrational responses, but I hope to get some serious ones as well. And please don't use the argument that the comparison isn't fair. If you don't think it's fair, don't respond.

First of all, when you went to purchase your HDTV, would you have picked a known established name brand, or would you have picked company new on the market with a few exclusive features knowing you would be getting one of the first few thousand ever built and it would probably have bugs?

Secondly, would you put up with similar problems on your HDTV knowing that you had a rock solid HD receiver that had never had anything wrong with it? For example, not all of the inputs always worked, poor picture quality at times, the remote didn't always work, it sometimes just shut off by itself, etc....

Go ahead, fire away! :D

First, posting things "to get a rise out of the diehards" is also called "trolling" just summarize...

Second I went with a TV that wasn't utlra-high end mainly because I sat in stores for hours on end and this one for the lower price and excellent PQ impressed me the most. So I went with it, I'd go with LG or Joe's HDTV if the PQ looked good and the store offered me some sort of money back guarantee.

Third, I wouldn't buy an HDTV without a service plan, if it acts up I get it fixed, if the tech looks at me and says it can't be fixed I fall back on that money back guarantee.

So let's apply it to Voom.

I don't own Voom, I can give it back at anytime.

Voom offers service plans to fix problems, all my problems have been fixed, just waiting on a 24" dish upgrade and I'm done.

So Voom falls in the same venue as my HDTV... anything else?

I must ask before I move the thread to the chit-chat club:

What's the correlation that you are trying to draw with VOOM subs and this thread?

1. I would certainly have picked an established brand. But I'll take a flier on a $0 down/no commitment offer from a no name. I would never have bought the Voom receiver.

2. Of course not. But since the HD receiver you speak of is $300, whereas my Voom receiver is $10/month, it's a little different. I paid nothing for this receiver, and I don't care to spend $300 for a receiver I'll quit using come Christmas (expected drop in HD-DVR prices). If D* started leasing their HD receiver, I'd switch in a second.

(Not in a second now considering D* appalling bandwidth allocation, which I need to see upped. Also I'm awaiting info on V* DVR.)

Basically, I think it's impossible to compare my $3000 HDTV to my $65/month DBS provider. I'm in your middle group in terms of those waiting for a better deal to come along. For all Voom's problems, it's still the best value for me at present.

If the whole thing was to say that VOOM receiver is not worth buying, I think the majority will agree with you and this is why the majority are leasing. Point closed. Thread moved.

squicken said:
it's still the best value for me at present.

That's what keeps me happy and talking about Voom, there's no where else to go that makes me feel "entertained" for the money I throw at it. Now if D* rolled around with leased HD-DVRs and 50 national HD channels.. I am sure all Voomers would go.. "Woah!" We're not singing Voom's praises because Wilt comes over to vacuum and mop our floors every weekend my good lad.

My only point was I think there is a double standard. It seems the majority of posters here are willing to go down with the Voom ship if that is what ultimately happens. I think of my setup as a system. If any piece of it had a problem I'd be pissed. I don't feel that you would give your HDTV or your A/V receiver the same understanding as you do your Voom box.

Call it trolling or what you will. I still think it's fun to get a rise out of you and get moved off the main forum because I haven't been assimilated into the Voom camp.

joemama said:
Call it trolling or what you will. I still think it's fun to get a rise out of you and get moved off the main forum because I haven't been assimilated into the Voom camp.

You are correct Twice!!! In Chit-Chat Club, you won't be assimilated :D No one is ;)

I'll be sure to be more careful with my next posting. Maybe then I won't end up out here. By the way, what's your designation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)