wouldn't it be just easier

giveuspurehd

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 14, 2004
hi.i was wondring why channnels like tnthd which shows the same content on tnt would just convert the sd channel to hd and get rid of the sd channel,since the hd would get converted to sd if need be.the same goes for espn.this has probably been discussed before, but ihave not seen it yet.

giveus,

All of VOOM's receivers support HD...but all cable, Dish, and DirecTV receivers do not. Thus, TNT has to offer the HD channel separately. TNT also charges extra for the HD channel.

hello
ic , but what happens when the day comes hd is universal in all forms and eveyone has a stb with hd.the consumer should not have to have 2 of the same channels.i wonder what they will do then.could you explain why if someone on direct tv tuned into a hd channel with a sd stb why they could not get it in sd?i understand they have to have the hd stb to get hd , but not the part to where they still couldnt get it in sd.

giveuspurehd,

could you explain why if someone on direct tv tuned into a hd channel with a sd stb why they could not get it in sd?i understand they have to have the hd stb to get hd , but not the part to where they still couldnt get it in sd.
Decoding of HDTV channels (regardless of whether you output in SD or HD) requires a newer, more expensive MP@HL decoder chip with sufficient memory. Many SD receivers only have cheaper MP@ML decoders, which cannot decode HD channels.

In a few years, all new boxes (even the ones for SD) will have MP@HL decoders, so they can decode HDTV channels for display on a standard television, but this is not the case today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)