WOW am I mad...

Customgamer1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ok well I just got off the phone from Dish network's tech people... That was a big bucket of joy lol. First off I said my HDMI cable was no longer putting out any picture or sound. They tell me after we went into about 1,000 different service tips and found out nothing worked they tell me it's a known problem and they should have a fix in about 2 months...

They said use the component cables so I hooked them up (taken from my dvd player) and it worked like I was thinking it would but the only thing is they are to up tight to give me a new receiver. What am I paying for every month if their is something wrong with my box they should give me a new one.

So now because of limited cable connections I no longer have a dvd player unless I switch the cables around every time I want to watch a movie... I kind of knew about this problem for a while and since the box has been out for a while I don't see how they have not fixed the problem yet. I also had another problem with my other older (black box) with that one I only get the local stations because it's only connecting to a few satellites. So I have to pay $30 for them to come out and fix it. The only reason why I am sticking with them is because they offer the best HD channels. There is no way I would ever switch to time time warner because I think the PQ looks like crap.

Anyone have any ideas about getting this problem fixed? I think I should call them back and see how much a HD DVR is?? But knowing my luck I will find out it will be like $500...

P.S I have the VIP 211

Thanks for the help.

You could easily call them and ask to have them send you out some new componet/hdmi cables.

You can upgrade to a 622 reciever, most likely $199 upgrade fee.

You can call and add DHPP for any future service issues that may arise.

VIP 211 have had a known issue with the HD output. it sucks, if you are leasing this equitment, try to get on A Dish home protection plan, that way they will just replace the reveiver., it's like five bucks a monthfor DHPP.

The product you have is defective. Get them to replace it. If they Stonewall you, explain to them you will be reporting them to the states attorney general's office. Then request the individual's name (CSR) as if it come to a law suit you will be naming him as an individual defendent in the case because you suspect you are being singled out by him unjustly. That others have received replacements for the same problem. Document everythiong and then do write the letters to the atty general. Send Dish a copy of that letter. Also play the CSR roulette game. Too bad you have to play that game but this is the 21st century and big business makes a habit of committing fraud on the general public as an SOP. Get used to it. I have examples of this sort of stonewalling, and denial of warranty claims in many different industries, including banking.

I just got a 622, and bought component cables instead of hdmi.. I read in several threads in this forum, it is not "if", but "when" the hdmi output will fail.

There is substantial evidence that the HDMI connectors have been installed in such a way that they are more prone to breaking than they should be. I.e. it is a less than robust implementation.

E* continues to maintain that there is a software problem with the connection, which is possible. However some people have opened up their receivers and found broken connectors. No software update is going to fix those.

Some of us have taken precautions to lessen the strain on our cables/connectors and they are still working after several months. This is more evidence that the source of the problem is hardware.

So I think there is a good chance that your problem is a hardware failure. But I can't prove it. If I'm right, you can wait for 10 years but it isn't going to heal itself.

cry me a river...
Don't get mad at the TSR he's just doing his job if they replace the receiver you could have problems with the next one and the one after that and so on so just chill out if you want to get another component cable go to the radioshack or circuit city, office depot, home depot, lowes, costco, hell even Wal-Mart, since you go the HDDVR for the capabilities not for the connections If you feel that if you really want to go buy one for $699-$798, see how much the company loses when someone doesn't get what they want. Believe me do you think that a company wouldn't cover their bases.More

Last edited:
First, component cables came with my 622, or maybe the installer just provided them. But I'm hooked with HDMI and it's still working. The cables are pretty secure so that likely helps.

Second, This stuff isn't free, we paid for it, they sold it, they need to support it. I wouldn't care if they have to send me 20 of the dang things over a 3 week period if that's what it takes to make sure I can use it as it was sold to me. It's not my problem they can't figure out how to manufacture a proper product. Unless they are going to pull it, they need to keep it working. And if that means I need HDMI, that means I need HDMI.

There is absolutely no reason to cut Dish slack as though they are doing us a favor. They aren't. We're paying for a service and they are obligated via the contract with each subscriber to provide that service. An attorney general would chomp at the chance to ensure Dish understands their responsibility.

i think u guys need to chill with wanting free stuff........Dish has to pay bills and pay its employees (like me) so stop whining and ask to upgrade to a 622....its better anyway......unless u need a 211. also, don't strain the cable so much, that causes it to break so put it closer to the TV. maybe that would help

Wow, this thread has become overrun by dish employees (daboogas and joedodo). The OP was not asking for something free. He was asking for the product that he received from Dish to work correctly. The fact of the matter is it should work with HDMI, period! We all know there is an issue there. For anyone to deny that is wrong. Also, distance from the TV has NOTHING to do with the fact that the HDMI connections aren't working on several boxes.

The product you have is defective. Get them to replace it. If they Stonewall you, explain to them you will be reporting them to the states attorney general's office. Then request the individual's name (CSR) as if it come to a law suit you will be naming him as an individual defendent in the case because you suspect you are being singled out by him unjustly. That others have received replacements for the same problem. Document everythiong and then do write the letters to the atty general. Send Dish a copy of that letter. Also play the CSR roulette game. Too bad you have to play that game but this is the 21st century and big business makes a habit of committing fraud on the general public as an SOP. Get used to it. I have examples of this sort of stonewalling, and denial of warranty claims in many different industries, including banking.

Because threats usually meet a favorable response? CSRs cannot give out their complete names, and it's unethical to begin with to try and hold a representative accountable for a company policy (that said I see it every day.) Attorney General's only carry weight against large corporations at the Federal, not State level. I don't know many consumers that have the resources to battle a major company over something this petty.

MY HDMI broke a few days ago too, after working for months (ever since the first 622's were available). I called Dish and they were nice about it. I asked for a new receiver and one is on the way. Seems that different CSR's have different responses to this issue.
If you email Dish, they'll usually respond. Sometimes you have to escalate past the first line CSR but Dish usually comes around. I've been with them since 1998 and we've had our run-ins, but Dish usually steps up and takes care of me.

I don't blame you for wanting the box fixed or replaced... I would ask for a new box every day if it broke every day. HDMI connectivity is a serious part of home theater equipment now days, so when Dish, or anyone, offers HDMI connectivity, they need to make sure it works. Broken is broken, even if there is an inferior work around, they still need to provide you with a working box, or discount the price and say they do not support HDMI anymore.

No, this HDMI issue is going to grow very large very soon. We just need to keep up the pressure on Dish otherwise it will be a back-burner issue, or worse, no issue at all.

Ok well I just got off the phone from Dish network's tech people... That was a big bucket of joy lol. First off I said my HDMI cable was no longer putting out any picture or sound. They tell me after we went into about 1,000 different service tips and found out nothing worked they tell me it's a known problem and they should have a fix in about 2 months...

They said use the component cables so I hooked them up (taken from my dvd player) and it worked like I was thinking it would but the only thing is they are to up tight to give me a new receiver. What am I paying for every month if their is something wrong with my box they should give me a new one.

So now because of limited cable connections I no longer have a dvd player unless I switch the cables around every time I want to watch a movie... I kind of knew about this problem for a while and since the box has been out for a while I don't see how they have not fixed the problem yet. I also had another problem with my other older (black box) with that one I only get the local stations because it's only connecting to a few satellites. So I have to pay $30 for them to come out and fix it. The only reason why I am sticking with them is because they offer the best HD channels. There is no way I would ever switch to time time warner because I think the PQ looks like crap.
Anyone have any ideas about getting this problem fixed? I think I should call them back and see how much a HD DVR is?? But knowing my luck I will find out it will be like $500...

P.S I have the VIP 211

Thanks for the help.

Here is the bulletin I receiver earlier today concerning the 622 and 211/411 hdmi connections...
"Problem: The receiver's HDMI port was working and then randomly stopppe working"...
"Solution:...There is a hardware problem with the HDMI connector and the re4civer needs to be replaced"....

There is one exception to this .....If the customer's tv is branded "Vizio".....In this case it is a compatibilty issue wit the tv.....Dish is working on a software update to correct this....Dish WILL NOT ALLOW the reciver to be returned for this reason..DO NOT CALL Dish for this problem..The temporaray fix is to connect the reciver to the tv via component cables..

Hope this helps

You could easily call them and ask to have them send you out some new componet/hdmi cables.

You can upgrade to a 622 reciever, most likely $199 upgrade fee.

You can call and add DHPP for any future service issues that may arise.
Dish does not supply HDMI cables....Just the component cables..
please be careful with the recomendations you supply....

PLease see the attachment on the hdmi issue.....No lawsuit..no anger. no threats ..no attorneys general....

Attachments

• 102992_20061101v1HDMICSCDN.pdf
    86.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts