Wow, D* sure has some loyal customers

More wood for the HD Lite controversy...

Originally posted by motjes2 (Sean Mota)
The two affected channels are Showtime-HD and HDnet movies.

Originally posted by Cheezmo:

Actually, there are 3. HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, and HDNet Movies. They are sharing a transponder with average bitrates for each in the 8-10mb/s range, at 1280x1080i.

The next tier (2/transponder) includes CBSE and NBCE, they average about 14-15mb/s. They are also at 1920x1080i for some reason.

The rest are currently fine, at 17-18mb/s which is really about as good as you'll get from a local OTA broadcaster (best I see locally in Dallas is 18.2mb/s). Of the rest, DiscoveryHD is still 1920x1080i the rest are 1280x1080i.

(I don't know for sure what CBSW and NBCW are doing, as I can't get them).

Just a quick summary of the current state of things on DirecTV.

Now about the Fox HD Games on Sunday Ticke and OTA and why they have looked so bad...

Originally posted by mike greer
The ST games are not HD-Lite - they are getting the bandwidth - the movie channels are suffering...

Originally posted by Cheezmo:

Actually (if you accept the definition of HD-Lite) many of the games are. But, it is not DirecTV's fault, it is Fox's. Fox has limited satellite space for distributing all those simultaneous football games and as a result they are under 13mb/s (the Cowboys game was 12.7mb/s OTA in Dallas). If DirecTV reencodes that (even at the same or higher bitrate) there will be additional quality loss. That is one reason people suspect that Fox's 720p doesn't look as good as CBS's 1080i (or ESPN's 720p for that matter).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)