Wow Directv Really?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Joe Diamond

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 3, 2004
for fun I called that number....they say "directv" but the auto system sounds like its on a speakerphone. It's NOT the normal Directv message I hear when I call them

I agree...sounds like a scam

Probably is...I searched the number and got one quote:" It is Directv...if you ignore them they will hit your card for $600.00. . ."

Directv is a lot of things but this stuff is just not their style. Probably a computer gilch in a boiler room somewhere. Watch recent CC charges and Directv account activity!

Joe

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Hemi 6.1 said:
Yep another
"its Not Directv's fault."

Uhhh... No...

We were simply giving him advise for his own protection. It has nothing to do with whom we place blame

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Hemi the bottom line is that they have every right to call if they think the account is past due; like it or not. The user commented it was paid late but it was paid; issue solved. Don't be late on payments and it likely won't happen. When it does, follow up and get it cleared up similar to what this user did. Being Sunday and being Easter has nothing to do with it. It also has nothing to do with being DirecTV or not; they all can and will do it.

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) sets guidelines for when debt collectors can call:

They can call between 8am and 9pm, your local time
They can call you at work if they do not know your employer disapproves
They can call you once more after receiving a cease and desist letter

What about weekends and holidays? Fortunately, many businesses, including collection agencies, are closed on weekends and holidays. Although the FDCPA doesn't specifically state which days of the week collectors can and cannot call, so if they are open, they CAN call you.
If a collector calls at a bad time, simply say, "This is not a convenient time" and let them know specifically what time is convenient.

We need more info ....

I SERIOUSLY doubt that D* would start calling you if your bill was one week late.
They probably go 2-3 months before they would generally turn you off for non payment.

charper1

Bourbon Tester
Supporting Founder
May 18, 2004
I'm Nationwide
I agree, but they do have the right to call; even on SUN and even on Easter; that is what I was specifically pulling out of the post.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
I agree, but they do have the right to call; even on SUN and even on Easter; that is what I was specifically pulling out of the post.

I agree that they have the right to call you whenever, but like I said, doubt they would start calling you if your bill was only a week late, UNLESS you have a VERY bad track record.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Ignorance its finest Directv. Just wow!
That's not ignorance... that's Opulence! :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• pay.png
    pay.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 331

markfp-1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 13, 2005
K9SAT;2518661Just WOW! Here is the kicker.... I had only missed the payment deadline by a week due to a change in pay periods. I wasn't even a month behind. ![/QUOTE said:
Assuming the call was legit, here's the problem. The account was paid a week late. When the due date passed without a payment the computer kicked the now "delinquent" account over to collections. Since, in many cases, collections, are outsourced to companies in another country there's sometimes a lag in getting late payment information updated.

Many companies have been shortening the amount of time before an account goes to collections especially (and I not implying that's the case here) that account has been late before. They might not report it to the credit bureau if it's less than 30 days late, but nothing stops them from trying to collect it right from the first day it's overdue.

As far as calling on Easter morning, collectors call when they think they have the best chance of finding somebody home. Because the account had been paid and the collector was notified of that fact, she's legally required to cease all further collection attempts.

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Hemi the bottom line is that they have every right to call if they think the account is past due; like it or not. The user commented it was paid late but it was paid; issue solved. Don't be late on payments and it likely won't happen. When it does, follow up and get it cleared up similar to what this user did. Being Sunday and being Easter has nothing to do with it. It also has nothing to do with being DirecTV or not; they all can and will do it.

The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) sets guidelines for when debt collectors can call:

They can call between 8am and 9pm, your local time
They can call you at work if they do not know your employer disapproves
They can call you once more after receiving a cease and desist letter

What about weekends and holidays? Fortunately, many businesses, including collection agencies, are closed on weekends and holidays. Although the FDCPA doesn't specifically state which days of the week collectors can and cannot call, so if they are open, they CAN call you.
If a collector calls at a bad time, simply say, "This is not a convenient time" and let them know specifically what time is convenient.
I don't disagree with this!.

What I disagree with, is the same old "lets Protect D* "" BS , Its getting rather old.

How many James Longs do we need?
As soon a a complaint arrives, the same people over and over say , "Its not Directv fault", or "Directv wouldn't do that"

Give it a rest, Go look at the complaints filed.

Some of you sound like the James Long of the Directv forums.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Why is this such a big deal for you Hemi ?
This once again happens with most large companies, they have the right to call to get thier money.

You seriously have to temper your dislike for D* .....

Is D* REALLY that bad or is it that people are in the D* forum so everything is pointed AT D* ?

Maybe all of us D* people in the forum should go to other forums of services we don't have and critique that company ....

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
I wouldn't call this D*'s fault...I think we are missing some pertinent facts from the OP..If D* was really was doing this there would have been threads long ago

spaceghost

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 21, 2008
Assuming the call was legit, here's the problem. The account was paid a week late. When the due date passed without a payment the computer kicked the now "delinquent" account over to collections. Since, in many cases, collections, are outsourced to companies in another country there's sometimes a lag in getting late payment information updated.

Many companies have been shortening the amount of time before an account goes to collections especially (and I not implying that's the case here) that account has been late before. They might not report it to the credit bureau if it's less than 30 days late, but nothing stops them from trying to collect it right from the first day it's overdue.

As far as calling on Easter morning, collectors call when they think they have the best chance of finding somebody home. Because the account had been paid and the collector was notified of that fact, she's legally required to cease all further collection attempts.

No company kicks anything over to collections after a week. Revolving accts report to credit agencies monthly. Utilities, telecoms, ect are not revolving accts. Before any of these sees a collections agency, it has to be 90 days past due and service was cut off. Now their billing dept might call after 10 days to do a reminder of a past due payment as a reminder, but collections has nothing to do with this.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---

The account has never been late other than the week I was late. I really think its Directv tightening the reins as the economy has had costumers drawing back on programming and more costumers are probably paying late.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
I wouldn't call this D*'s fault...I think we are missing some pertinent facts from the OP..If D* was really was doing this there would have been threads long ago

Like what facts?????? Everything that I have posted is true... There is nothing missing. What do you want me to post my entire bill? Come on.. You don't know what policy's the directv has changed, or when. Hell, the call obviously came from overseas and you don't know the policy's that the company who gets assigned these things are. Who are you to blame me? While yes, I was late due to a change in pay periods.. and that I freely admit as even though it wasn't my fault that my employer switched payroll systems and pay dates.... I wasn't a full month behind and had never been late prior too. I just think its ridiculous that I was called after the bill was paid. The moment that bill was paid, (it was paid online with a credit card) the flag to cold call me should have been removed.

But no alot of people around here can see no harm that directv does. The fact of the matter is directv called after the bill was paid... anything prior to that is shenanigans.

And the other fact is unless your an executive at directv, you have no idea what polices directv has in place in regards to cold calling and how late before a call is triggered.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
No company kicks anything over to collections after a week. Revolving accts report to credit agencies monthly. Utilities, telecoms, ect are not revolving accts. Before any of these sees a collections agency, it has to be 90 days past due and service was cut off. Now their billing dept might call after 10 days to do a reminder of a past due payment as a reminder, but collections has nothing to do with this.

Yep, also my service was never cut off, and I could have probably waited another month before they would have cut off due to non payment. But I would have never done that as I pay all of my bills monthly. The only company I have had this happen with is Directv.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
But no alot of people around here can see no harm that directv does. The fact of the matter is directv called after the bill was paid... anything prior to that is shenanigans.

are you sure it was Directv and not a scammer? Read a couple comments (mine and Joe Diamond) that were posted. I called the number back and it is not the normal Directv message I know. Joe says it does not route back to Directv either.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
are you sure it was Directv and not a scammer? Read a couple comments (mine and Joe Diamond) that were posted. I called the number back and it is not the normal Directv message I know. Joe says it does not route back to Directv either.

Yes it was directv.... They left notes on my account regarding the call. According to the CSR I talked to, they automatically outsource missed payment calls if your bill is over 3 days late.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts