Wow, E* just made Comcast very competative

Harry

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Las Cruces, NM
I think HD will severely hurt the satellite carriers. With the E* HD Packages, Comcast is now very competative and they do not down rez their HD content and the locals are in HD already.

Comcast: Added $5 for HD
Digital Platinum $97.40
Digital Gold $87.85
Digital Silver $77.25
Digital Plus $64.76
Digital Classic $59.76
Digital Sports Package $5.00

E*:
DishHD Platinum $104.99
DishHD Gold $74.99
DishHD Silver $64.99
DishHD Bronze $54.99

Since locals are already included in Comcast, you have to compare the w/local prices for E*. Last time I spoke with Comcast, they will buy back my E* equipment so it is now time to decide for me whether to stay w/ E* or not.

** Forgot to add that Comcast will cost an additional $5 for HD **

Last edited:
Our Comcast system doesn't include Cinemax or TMC in Platinum, each would be an extra $10/month so that throws the numbers off. But they do make it up with both east and west coast feeds for many channels and a bunch of VOD content that doesn't cost extra to view.

rad said:
Our Comcast system doesn't include Cinemax or TMC in Platinum, each would be an extra $10/month so that throws the numbers off. But they do make it up with both east and west coast feeds for many channels and a bunch of VOD content that doesn't cost extra to view.

For me, the premiums are not a big deal. Another factor is you can get High Speed internet via comcast as well.

Dang, the cost of watching TV is getting outrageous no matter who you go with.

Don't forget the DVR fees, if you have one. Comast charges $9.95 no matter what package you have. Dish is $5, unless you have the AEP package. AEP package = no DVR fees.

dont24 said:
Don't forget the DVR fees, if you have one. Comast charges $9.95 no matter what package you have. Dish is $5, unless you have the AEP package. AEP package = no DVR fees.

They show it isn't available in my area (doesn't make sense) but I wouldn't use one anyway. I have a DVR-CD I use and it works very well. When they come out with one that does HD, I'll buy it.

Also, my LG-4200A does cable so I wouldn't need a Comcast Box. They charge you for every little detail so that's why it is better to own your own stuff, IMHO.

dont24 said:

I've also heard reports that the Comcast DVR is quite difficult to use and lacks many features that the 942 has. Now when Comcast finally uses TiVo boxes they will DEFINITELY be a candidate in my eyes.

voripteth said:
I've also heard reports that the Comcast DVR is quite difficult to use and lacks many features that the 942 has. Now when Comcast finally uses TiVo boxes they will DEFINITELY be a candidate in my eyes.
What missing features are you talking about? I know the Morotola 6412 that Comcast uses in many areas has name based recording, 30 second skip, two tuners, it does have a much smaller hard drive.

voripteth said:

Never had a 942, but did have a 510 and still have a TIVO and have the Motorola 6412. It is not difficult to use at all. The one thing I do not like is that there is no favorites menus available. I also have experience using the Scientific Atlanta HD-DVR tha Comcast uses and find that one to be pretty easy as well.

Comcast with HD would be 107.99 in my area. Also, you have to pay 4.95 extra/month if you want CSTV, NBATV. Also you have to bay 6.49/month extra for Fox Movie Channel, plus a few others. So Comcast would still be at least $10/month more expensive here for an equivalent package.

Of course, Comcast still has OLN and Lifetime. Comcast here has Cinmax and Starz HD, but there is less original HD programming on these channels than you would think. They have INHD, not HDNet. Some Comcast systems have TNT-HD, depending on bandwidth.

The point is that unlike E*, comcast prices and services vary widely by region.

Also, comcast has several different HD DVR's. The Motorola 6412 is inferior to the 942 (120 GB HD, very limited guide search capabilities, software even more buggy than 942).

Comcast may be better for some, depending on where you live. I switched to E* and I am happier than I was with Comcast.

rad said:

All Digital Platinum incudes all 5 Premium Movie Pkgs.

voripteth said:
I've also heard reports that the Comcast DVR is quite difficult to use and lacks many features that the 942 has.

I find it very easy to use, you can set it to record a whole season of a series or just go to a guide and find what you wish to record at whatever time/day the show is on hit the little red button and you are set to record, if you wish to extend the time ( min.) if the show is running late, go into adv. record options.

dont24 said:

That price includes the HD-DVR lease per month, don't forget that E* charges $250.00 just for the right to lease it and now folks have to pay $299.00 ( $200.00 Rebate ) to upgrade to the new one, Comcast does not charge to upgrade to the new boxes.

Harry said:
For me, the premiums are not a big deal. Another factor is you can get High Speed internet via comcast as well.

And that is where the biggest discounts are, bundled service, with Cable and Broadband I save $20.00 a month, I just switched to their new Internet Phone service and get another $20.00 off a month, if everyone factors in how much all three services cost from three different companies you will see how things add up.

Why would you pay comcast the same amount... to get 1/4th of the hd channels.. in my area.. comcast doesnt even offer uhd, espn2hd, tnt. and hdnets yet... To me this makes comcast not competative at all

goaliebob99 said:
Why would you pay comcast the same amount... to get 1/4th of the hd channels.. in my area.. comcast doesnt even offer uhd, espn2hd, tnt. and hdnets yet... To me this makes comcast not competative at all
Because maybe they have HD channels I'd actually want to watch;) Out of your list I'd miss ESPN2-HD but I pick up Starz-HD, Cinemax-HD and Comcast SN Chicago-HD. When I've had both HDNet and InHD I actually found that I liked the programming on InHD better, guess I'm not into watching girls in bikini's that much anymore.:(

To me, it's not how many channels in HD there are, it's how many channels in HD have something on that I'd actually want to watch.

Well Comcast doesn't offer UniversalHD, ESPN2 HD and HDNETS anywhere. I've read that they are planning on adding those channels by the end of this year though. That may make some of us go to Comcast.

goaliebob99 said:

Most Comcast areas have TNT-HD, they are suppose to add UHD and ESPN2-HD soon ( by March if rumours are correct at AVS ).

I am sorry but you cannot include the Voom channels in your list until they really add a lot of content, until then it is repeat city for those, when I left E*, I kept the HD Pack to try out the Voom channels and after two months it was the same thing over and over.

Comcast does have Starz-HD and Max-HD, Starz just upgraded their contract with Disney and now all Disney movies are in HD, including Kill Bill 1 and 2 ( shown as a up-convert before ), National Treasure and The Incredibles, Max-HD shows lots of new and older movies in HD and now OAR, Ocean's Twelve was just on in HD-OAR.

goaliebob99 said:
Why would you pay comcast the same amount

It is not the same amount when you factor in all these extra costs that Comcast does not charge that E* does, like the $250.00 for the lease right on the 942 or the $299.00 ( before $200.00 rebate ) to upgrade to the 622 you have to have to get these new channels, you do not have these costs with Comcast, I just bought a new DLP set with HDMI, I called Comcast up to get their 6412 Phase 3 box with HDMI, they are coming out Friday, no charge, can E* do that.

And do not forget, all these new channels are in HD-Lite and maybe all the older ones soon also if they follow the D* business model.

Comcast does not do HD-Lite and have no plans to do so according to Ken H at AVS.

By the way I would of stayed with E* if they gave me that $250.00 option to lease the 942, they would not, they told me I would have to buy one for $699.00 no lease deals for old customers ( since 99 ), they chased me away, I was willing to pay the $250.00 but now I am glad they did not.

In my area, Comcast is still not even close. For the Basic Digital Service in my area with HD hookup and DVR it ends up being close to $75.00 per month which is what I pay with Dish. Comcast includes very limited HD programming and does not include several of the channels that I get with my Dish package.

I'll stick to Dish right now. From my understanding my bill won't change until I upgrade the hardware, and even then it'll still be better than Comcast for my area.

** note that Comcast is expecting a 6% increase in my area and I don't think the prices above reflect that.

When IPTV gets more popular it will hopefully drop the prices of everything else. IPTV is going to be the closest we are going to get to ala carte.

Stargazer said:
When IPTV gets more popular it will hopefully drop the prices of everything else. IPTV is going to be the closest we are going to get to ala carte.

That will be interesting to see if and when it happens.

Comcast in Denver is pretty attractive. But, there just isn't any way I can get by with 12 hours of record time (6412).

If Motorola would get the SATA port (newest box rev) working it would be a much more viable alternative.

bruce said:
Most Comcast areas have TNT-HD, they are suppose to add UHD and ESPN2-HD soon ( by March if rumours are correct at AVS ).
I am sorry but you cannot include the Voom channels in your list until they really add a lot of content, until then it is repeat city for those, when I left E*, I kept the HD Pack to try out the Voom channels and after two months it was the same thing over and over.
Comcast does have Starz-HD and Max-HD, Starz just upgraded their contract with Disney and now all Disney movies are in HD, including Kill Bill 1 and 2 ( shown as a up-convert before ), National Treasure and The Incredibles, Max-HD shows lots of new and older movies in HD and now OAR, Ocean's Twelve was just on in HD-OAR.
It is not the same amount when you factor in all these extra costs that Comcast does not charge that E* does, like the $250.00 for the lease right on the 942 or the $299.00 ( before $200.00 rebate ) to upgrade to the 622 you have to have to get these new channels, you do not have these costs with Comcast, I just bought a new DLP set with HDMI, I called Comcast up to get their 6412 Phase 3 box with HDMI, they are coming out Friday, no charge, can E* do that.
And do not forget, all these new channels are in HD-Lite and maybe all the older ones soon also if they follow the D* business model.
Comcast does not do HD-Lite and have no plans to do so according to Ken H at AVS.
By the way I would of stayed with E* if they gave me that $250.00 option to lease the 942, they would not, they told me I would have to buy one for $699.00 no lease deals for old customers ( since 99 ), they chased me away, I was willing to pay the $250.00 but now I am glad they did not.

You couldn't have read my mind any better. Your just like me. You have to look at the total cost. Most people don't add in the up front cost. Also comcast has better hd content in my opinion. They have all the movie premium movie channels in my area in HD.

It is too bad. I would rather stay with dish as I have always liked dish, but dish is going the route of the more channels is better theory. I want quality programming at a quality picture rate, so comcast is the leader in my area. I can't wait til the other technology comes around. FIBER in iptv is going to really be good for us who love the quality. I still won't give up on dish just yet. Since I have it installed I can always go back and forth whoever is offering the better service. That is the best thing about all of it. You have a choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)