Wow new toy!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
I finally gave in to the curiosity and bought one of those lnbf - for - cband things, came this morning. After a few hours of house-painting I went out this afternoon and hooked this little gadget up on the big dish. So far, it surely is nice not to have to flip polarity with the analog receiver on c-band! Must've got lucky because I always have to run the dish down to 123 to be able to reach the feedhorn, when I'm supposed to be using 87 to peak it , lol. Guessed correctly because it's scanning both polarities so far.
Seeing things I never scanned far enough to find before, haha. This is one of those bsc-421 models, had to swap out the feedhorn scalar for the new one-didn't want to go through the 'grinding' process another poster mentioned, trying to use the old one. Still had to drill out the bolt holes to fasten it to the lnb supports though-they made the holes so tiny a normal feedhorn bolt wouldn't go through it. Flimsy thing, I hope a bird don't hit it before I get the cover back on it tomorrow! Metal not much better than most plastic, but it works great so far.

I did the same a few yrs ago. Also added a G Box so everything is on the STB remote. I'm not lookin' back. Scanning satellites was a chore. Now it's just a few buttons on one remote.
Will agree, the scalars are pretty flimsy compared to the chaparrals. Was a thinkin' (Scary, I know)of a 1/4 inch plate to back up the scalar on a 3 or 4 leg support. (Like a flat donut) My button hook has a flat plate that attaches at 3 bolt holes.

Yeah, I'm another one that files the numbers or lower lip off (depending on the model) of those new style LNBFs also as I didn't want to change the scaler ring out when filing it to fit was much easier IMHO. Those new scaler rings have a ton of "slop" in'em also, which I don't like. It's the machinist in me I guess. ;) I've been told that I'd never make it as a carpenter either!

I have to ask though, why didn't you get the BSC621 as it also has Ku capability?? :confused: I've tested the ESX241 and also the NS741 and DMX741 and having that Ku LNB out on the end doesn't hurt Cband performance a bit, and, they also work really well for Ku. At least the DMX does. I haven't had a chance to test the NS741's Ku side yet and I've never had my hands on a BSC621 either.

LG, as usual I couldn't make up my mind on c/ku type yet, lol. My original intention was to try this c-bander on the fixed dish I have aimed at 58W, since I only have an old feedhorn on it now, and its polarotor isn't connected to anything, hence I'm stuck on one polarity. Just thought it'd be nice to have both sides of that one since there's so many channels on it. And sometimes several on there are ITC. But this works so well on my 10' sami, I think I will want one on it that also does ku,though I already have 2 motorized ku dishes. So I'll probably go for one that does c/ku both next, and take this one off the sami and put it on the 58w as planned. Wish they'd had these back in the analog days, or, if they did back then-at affordable prices.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)