Wow...

optimusprime

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
So... Just when you think it can't get any worse, Time Warner informs me that they have no plans to re-add our local ABC affiliate's digital station. Now, please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't cable companies *required* to carry network broadcasts? Here's the situation: Approximately 2 years ago, TWC put on digital channels for all of our local stations. All stations except ABC were broadcasting digitally. After approximately 1 year, TWC pulled ABC's digital channel because it was just an analog broadcast on a digital channel, an exact replica of ABC's normal analog channel. Well, this past January our local ABC affiliate finally decided to join the band wagon. (ABOUT F***ING TIME) Here it is mid-June, and their digital channel is still nowhere to be seen... As if that's not neglectful enough, our local UPN affiliate also joined the digital broadcasting arena this past January. They must be hiding in the same cave as ABC... :mad:

I hate to be the one defending the "evil" TWC :) but here are a few thing to consider:

Cable comapies are not required to carry any broadcast channel that request compensation for use of their signals. When the "Must Carry" cycle comes around every 3 years, the local TV stations have the option to force the cable system to carry them OR require the cable company to pay for retransmission consent. If the station chooses to charge the cable company for the right to carry the signal, the cable company is no longer under any obligation to carry the channel in question. Keep in mind that every nickel the local TV station asks the cable company to pay comes directly out of your pocket!

So, in this case my guess is that your local ABC station wants more in compensation (whether it be cash or other compensation like forcing carriage or sub-channels or othe cable networks) than Time Warner is willing to pay on your behalf.

See ya
Tony

TNGTony said:
So, in this case my guess is that your local ABC station wants more in compensation (whether it be cash or other compensation like forcing carriage or sub-channels or othe cable networks) than Time Warner is willing to pay on your behalf.

See ya
Tony

Cool. I don't like "defending" them either, but I have a few posts on these forums in favor of the cable company... I was not familiar with the explicits of local stations being carried by the cable companies That is helpful to know.

Yep

hall said:
Just out of curiosity, does Sinclair (Broadcast Group) own your local ABC station ??

Yessir, they do. Is this also bad? Does Sinclair need to be spanked like a bad, bad donkey?

Sinclair is trying to exract more money from the cable companies and Dish Network

Dish & Sinclair have a disapute about how much to pay for the rebroadcast of their nets

Cable & Sinclair have a dispute on how much to pay fro the digital signal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)