Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
PROGRAMMING UPDATE
ATLANTA, GEORGIA

Effective Wednesday, January 21, DISH Network will launch the high definition feed of WPCH, an IND station, into the Atlanta local DMA package at no additional local programming charge.

Note that customers must subscribe to an HD programming package or pay the HD enabling fee in order to receive the HD locals as part of their programming package. Additionally, customers must have an HD receiver and an antenna pointed at the 61.5 or 129 orbital location.

Scott,
Do you know if Dish is going to open up this channel for us when the Braves games start. I kept waiting last year but it didn't happen. I love my Dish receiver but if they don't open this up for the games this year, I will probley switch to Directv to get these games. It wouldn't be so bad if I could subscribe to MLB.com but that is blacked out for me in MS. I am going to wait until the last minute to switch to give Dish a chance. I know there are a lot of Braves fan out there that was upset last year. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bumblebee8

I was about to ask the same question! The Braves season was pretty much useless last year between very few if any HD games on the RSNs, and no access to WPCH.

Just to be clear before someone comes on and says its illegal to show WPCH outside of the Atlanta DMA, yeah, we understand that. All we're asking E* to do is to negotiate with WPCH just like D* did, just like Comcast cable did, and like several other providers in the southeast in Braves territory, to simply show the games only. We all could care less about 24/7 viewing of WPCH. We just want to be able to watch the games that WPCH has the exclusive carriage of. If E* really cared about a great many of its subscribers in the southeast, they'd get this done this year instead of last year's mention on a Charlie Chat that "we're looking into it" or some such nonsense.

Just to be clear before someone comes on and says its illegal to show WPCH outside of the Atlanta DMA, yeah, we understand that. All we're asking E* to do is to negotiate with WPCH just like D* did, just like Comcast cable did, and like several other providers in the southeast in Braves territory, to simply show the games only. We all could care less about 24/7 viewing of WPCH. We just want to be able to watch the games that WPCH has the exclusive carriage of. If E* really cared about a great many of its subscribers in the southeast, they'd get this done this year instead of last year's mention on a Charlie Chat that "we're looking into it" or some such nonsense.

MLB will not allow this.

In the end the only OTA Stations, hence OTA Games, you can receive in your HOME in your DMA are those stations and games that are in MARKET in your area.

The only way for Dish, DirecTV, or your local Cable company, can carry ANY out of market Games in your DMA for ANY Pro Sport is if your provider can sell you that Pro Sports Out of Market Subscription package; Extra Innings, Center Ice, Sunday Ticket etc...

With all that said Dish does not offer the Extra Innings package, this means only Dish Subscribers within the Atlanta DMA can receive the Braves games.

The only other way for WPCH to be able to offer Braves games to the entire US would be for WPCH to purchase the national rights to all of the Braves games they carry. Since WPCH is a small broadcast station with extremely limited funds as well as Market Share that is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

John

Yeah, I was going to say... It probably has more to do with your friends at MLB than the station or Dish and where they are allowed to broadcast. Greed: It's the American Way!

John, Thanks for the explanation. During all of the debates on this topic last year, I don't think anybody had a good explanation as to exactly who's to blame for this mess. It's not surprising that its a combination of both Charlie's and MLB's intransigence concerning monetary issues.

MLB will not allow this.

In the end the only OTA Stations, hence OTA Games, you can receive in your HOME in your DMA are those stations and games that are in MARKET in your area.

The only way for Dish, DirecTV, or your local Cable company, can carry ANY out of market Games in your DMA for ANY Pro Sport is if your provider can sell you that Pro Sports Out of Market Subscription package; Extra Innings, Center Ice, Sunday Ticket etc...

With all that said Dish does not offer the Extra Innings package, this means only Dish Subscribers within the Atlanta DMA can receive the Braves games.

The only other way for WPCH to be able to offer Braves games to the entire US would be for WPCH to purchase the national rights to all of the Braves games they carry. Since WPCH is a small broadcast station with extremely limited funds as well as Market Share that is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I don't think this is the case, I live in Boone, NC and know Directv customers in the area who got Peachtree last year that did NOT subscribe to the MLB EI package. Directv made Peachtree available at game time and it went off when the game was over.

Why was this channel put on CONUS on 129 instead of spot??

6369(17) - WPCH [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar12 61.5W TP 15 Area 7 beam changed to Available (H)(Atlanta, GA)
6369(17) - WPCH [MPEG4 HD] - EchoStar5 129W TP 04 ConUS beam changed to Available (H)(Atlanta, GA)

In fact, I think that in practice it's the opposite. Even if I subscribe to "out of market sports" those games would be blacked out for me because WPCH has exclusivity for "Braves Territory."

tigerfan, there are no spots on 129 yet, and they wanted to make it available before Ceil-2 is fully operational. It will likely move to a spot.

In fact, I think that in practice it's the opposite. Even if I subscribe to "out of market sports" those games would be blacked out for me because WPCH has exclusivity for "Braves Territory."

tigerfan, there are no spots on 129 yet, and they wanted to make it available before Ceil-2 is fully operational. It will likely move to a spot.

Gotcha Pepper. Thanks.

Why was this channel put on CONUS on 129 instead of spot??

6369(17) - WPCH [MPEG4 HD] - Echostar12 61.5W TP 15 Area 7 beam changed to Available (H)(Atlanta, GA)
6369(17) - WPCH [MPEG4 HD] - EchoStar5 129W TP 04 ConUS beam changed to Available (H)(Atlanta, GA)

You might notice it IS on spot from 61.5.

It's CONUS at 129 because, until Ciel-2 gets there, there are no spots.

OK...confused again and back to square 1. I forgot about the exclusivity thing and blackouts. Therein lies the rub. How can it be that a local station that only transmits to the Atlanta DMA has the exclusive right to carry Braves games in a territory that stretches from the Mississippi River to the Atlantic coast without the ability to negotiate to provide said signal outside of Atlanta? Hence D*'s, Comcast's, et.al.'s carriage of games in Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, parts of North Carolina, and other parts of Georgia? Why can't E*? As said before, even if E* did carry MLB EI and I subscribed, the braves games would still be blocked out. Something's just not right about all of this.

Last edited:
OK...confused again and back to square 1. I forgot about the exclusivity thing and blackouts. Therein lies the rub. How can it be that a local station that only transmits to the Atlanta DMA has the exclusive right to carry Braves games in a territory that stretches from the Mississippi River to the Atlantic coast without the ability to negotiate to provide said signal outside of Atlanta? Hence D*'s, Comcast's, et.al.'s carriage of games in Mississippi, Alabama, South Carolina, parts of North Carolina, and other parts of Georgia? Why can't E*? AS said before, even if E* did cary MLD EI and I subscribed, the braves games would still be blocked out. Something's just not right about all of this.

Examiner,

The problem lies betwwen MLB and WPCH, and partially DirecTV (READ ON). MLB determines each Teams DMA.

The Braves Local DMA is larger than the coverage of WPCH. MLB determined the Braves local DMA. WPCH doesn't have enough transmitters nor FCC Terrestrial licenses to cover the entire Atlanta Braves DMA. MLB knows this, they really don't care.

MLB is more interested in protecting their Monopoly power, than if or how an "In Market" Braves Fan will be able to get access to games carried on a local Market station that is out of his/her reach.

The only hope for these dis-enfranchised Fans is a third party provider Satellite or Cable to carry WPCH and offer it to households outside WPCH's Grade A or Grade B signal contours.

The biggest issue with this is that much of the programing carried on WPCH other than Baseball games is Syndicated Exclusive content most of which is sold to many other local Stations in adjacent DMA's. This means all that content would have to be blacked out to avoid Legal challenges from those adjacent stations.

Dish has a secondary problem in that they can NO LONGER Legally provide ANY out of market content from any out of market station to any adjacent DMA's.

The reason for this was a legal challenge from the NAB and a number of Local Market Stations because Dish for some time knowingly allowed a number of subscribers to pay for imported Distant Network affiliated signals.

Dish crafted an agreement with the NAB and all of the Local Market stations that had objected,except for a couple of FOX Network Owned Affiliates. The FOX owned affiliates refused to sign the agreement, which destroyed the agreement. At the time Fox Networks had a controlling interest in DirecTV, Even though this was technically illegal.

FOX Networks promised the FCC and the Federal Government they would not use their ownership in their Networks to give DirecTV a competitive advantage. This clause was part of the agreement the government required to allow FOX networks get the controlling interest in DirecTV. After the collapse of the Dish/NAB agreement at the behest of FOX (DirecTV). DirecTV became the only national provider to be able to offer "Out of Market" stations and or carry "Significantly Viewed" Adjacent signals to subscribers outside their DMA, or deliver out of market signals to subscribers that had been granted Waivers from their Affiliated Networks to be able to import distant signals.

DirecTV forced Dish's hands using their own OWNED OTA Affiliated signals to Force Dish to remove all Out of Market stations from any and all subscribers even those that had legal rights to receive them. This gave DirecTV a competitive advantage. This legal challenge also means Dish will never be able to offer any Out of Market content from WPCH or any other affiliated signal from outside any subscribers DMA, be that be Braves Games or any other content to any Dish Subscribers outside of WPCH's DMA, which is greatly smaller than the Atlanta Braves DMA.

Thanks MLB and especially DirecTV, your the best.

This means if you want Braves Baseball and live outside of WPCH's DMA, but still within the Braves Local DMA, then you will have to get DirecTV or Cable (If your local Cable company carries WPCH).

John

The biggest issue with this is that much of the programing carried on WPCH other than Baseball games is Syndicated Exclusive content most of which is sold to many other local Stations in adjacent DMA's. This means all that content would have to be blacked out to avoid Legal challenges from those adjacent stations.

Dish has a secondary problem in that they can NO LONGER Legally provide ANY out of market content from any out of market station to any adjacent DMA's.
None of that matters.
All Dish has to do, is provide an Alternate WPCH feed for the rest of the Braves territory that is turned on only for the Braves games (same as the Charter, Comcast, and Directv do).
Since WPCH owns the broadcast rights for the Braves territory for those games, there is nothing MLB can do.
And since Syndication Exclusivity doesn't come into play (no one else has rights to the games in those areas), then that doesn't come into play, nor does the distant injuction against Dish.

All Dish has to do, is come to an agreement with the Atlanta Braves and Time Warner (owner of WPCH), which is what the other 3 companies did.

None of that matters.
All Dish has to do, is provide an Alternate WPCH feed for the rest of the Braves territory that is turned on only for the Braves games (same as the Charter, Comcast, and Directv do).
Since WPCH owns the broadcast rights for the Braves territory for those games, there is nothing MLB can do.
And since Syndication Exclusivity doesn't come into play (no one else has rights to the games in those areas), then that doesn't come into play, nor does the distant injuction against Dish.

All Dish has to do, is come to an agreement with the Atlanta Braves and Time Warner (owner of WPCH), which is what the other 3 companies did.

Derwin,

Actually you are DEAD WRONG. WPCH owns the the Exclusive Local rights to the Atlanta Braves games in their (WPCH's) market. Dish can NO longer offer ANY Content that WPCH owns the rights to OUTSIDE of WPCH's Local DMA.

Since WPCH's Local Market, as defined by the FCC, is ONLY within WPCH's Grade B Signal contours, Dish can NOT deliver any content to subscribers outside of WPCH's defined DMA even if the Braves DMA is larger than WPCH's DMA.

The Litigation that the NAB and their member stations started and won against Dish Network, directly forbids Dish from delivering any Content owned or licensed by that station to any subscriber out of that Stations FCC defined market.

"The other 3 companies" do NOT have legal injunctions against them forbidding them from delivering content to any subscribers outside that Stations FCC defined DMA.

The only other way to get Braves Baseball would be via MLB Extra Innings, but since Extra Innings is only for subscribers outside of a teams DMA, besides Dish does not have Extra Innings either.

John

I would assume this is good news for people in the southeast outside of Atlanta to get the Braves games this summer? The launch of the HD Peachtree maybe was held up by Dish not having an agreement to carry the games in the Braves' region so this has resolved both issues? Would love some more info on this if someone has the inside on this.

Derwin,

Actually you are DEAD WRONG. WPCH owns the the Exclusive Local rights to the Atlanta Braves games in their (WPCH's) market. Dish can NO longer offer ANY Content that WPCH owns the rights to OUTSIDE of WPCH's Local DMA.

Since WPCH's Local Market, as defined by the FCC, is ONLY within WPCH's Grade B Signal contours, Dish can NOT deliver any content to subscribers outside of WPCH's defined DMA even if the Braves DMA is larger than WPCH's DMA.

The Litigation that the NAB and their member stations started and won against Dish Network, directly forbids Dish from delivering any Content owned or licensed by that station to any subscriber out of that Stations FCC defined market.

"The other 3 companies" do NOT have legal injunctions against them forbidding them from delivering content to any subscribers outside that Stations FCC defined DMA.

The only other way to get Braves Baseball would be via MLB Extra Innings, but since Extra Innings is only for subscribers outside of a teams DMA, besides Dish does not have Extra Innings either.

John

As someone who put in many calls to the Braves and Dish last year, the distant networks issue has nothing to do with this situation. Both sides were trying to work out an agreement to offer the Braves games to the Braves territory, it's just like the situation with the Royals' television network. I would hope and assume this is all resolved now since the HD Peachtree was launched, it was taken down from the uplink during baseball season last year when negotiations fell apart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts