Wpix

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phonecarhead

Original poster
Feb 20, 2005
I have a problem and I know the people here will have a solution;

I am Mets fan living in Charlotte, NC. I subscribe to MLB Extra Innings, which telecasts all games carried on MSG and Fox Sports. However, the WPIX games are not shown and Direct TV does not offer that channel. I understand Dish network carries WPIX and all Mets games are broadcast to all cities, even those outside the NY area. However, I REALLY want to keep Direct TV but need some advice as to how I can get WPIX from them. I called and they sited the FCC rules, even though Dish offers that channel outside the NY area. I tried to explain this but they just were not getting it. There. I throw myself on the mercy of the experts to help me.

If you get a grey market subscription to Bell ExpressVU or Starchoice (canadian dth companies) you could get WPIX in their Movie Packs. If you have c-band big dish then its on Free-to-air.

Or you can try to get a waiver from your local wb. or an RV waiver for nyc and la locals.

Why not just sub to DISh for the superstations only.

Satellites carrying WPIX-TV (WB - New York)------

AMC 3- CBand Subscription

Nimiq 1 Bell ExpressVu- Canadian DTH Provider, You could get via grey market

Anik F1 Star Choice Digicipher 2 - Canadian DTH Provider, You could get via grey market

EchoStar 7 DISH Network- Offers all over

Galaxy 3C- Cband

DirecTV Latin America- You could get the signal but I read that DirecTV Latin America does NOT have brokers and does not accept U.S. Credit cards so unless you know someone in latin america you cant get it.

DirecTV 1R/2/4S DirecTV- Wont offer outside NYC unless waiver from local wb or rv

Geronimo said:
Why not just sub to DISh for the superstations only.

Can I do that? Can I get Dish just for superstations? If so, how would I incorporate that into my Directv?

Well yes but you would need another dish + receiver. If you are going to do all that get some canadian.

ExpressVU and Starchoice BOTH have WPIX.

I appreciate your help as you obviously know what you're talking about but I have to admit, you are completely losing me with all this Canadian talk. Explain all this as if I were an idiot, which I am. :)

Ok Canada has two Direct-To-Home satellite providers, similar to DirecTV and Dish Network. While they are only meant to serve Canada the signals also cover the U.S. just fine (except some areas in the deep south and california ExpressVU has problems).

If you want them in the U.S. you just go through an address broker.

They offer a good amount of programming, at low costs you could get canada locals on both providers.

boston and seattle locals with expressvu,

detroit, spokane, buffalo, and seattle U.S. locals with Starchoice only one from east coast and one from west coast.

you wouldnt have blackout and could have a cool setup. my starchoice system is almost ready to activate, i want to make sure my signal was sufficent.

i have done my homework and i am looking foward to having starchoice. Iceberg has had both providers, talk with him.

You can not get WPIX from D* outside of the New York market. DirecTV's distant locals for New York only cover WABC, WCBS, WNBC and WNYW. They do not offer WPIX or WWOR to distant subscribers, period.

The only ways for you to acquire WPIX would be Dish (via their Superstations package) or from the Canadian satellite TV systems (Star Choice or Bell ExpressVu).

phonecarhead said:
I appreciate your help as you obviously know what you're talking about but I have to admit, you are completely losing me with all this Canadian talk. Explain all this as if I were an idiot, which I am. :)

Bell ExpressVu and Star Choice are Canadian DBS systems (not unlike Dish Network or DirecTV, but geared toward Canadian consumers) with Canadian programming. Their programming options include a number of US sources, including American superstations KTLA, WTBS, WGN, WSBK, WPIX and WWOR.

Both systems are referred to as "gray market" systems, as you cannot "technically" acquire service in the US. In order to obtain the systems for use in the United States, you'd have to employ the services of a "broker," who would act both as a go-between (between you and the satellite company, who would otherwise deny you access, were he to know you were in the US and not north of the border), and provide you with a Canadian address for your services.

Many people find this an agreeable option for a number of reasons from the increased variety in programming to the desire to watch "shows from home". The exchange rate makes it even more economical for viewers in the US to do this.

DTV will not under ANY circumstances carry the superstations that Dish Network carry because DTV thinks that Dish is offering them illegally and paying the FCC monthly fines to satisfy their customer base. DTV's programming office has told me on the phone and e-mail that they do not have plans to ever carry these popular stations and that they think DISH will lose these stations when the new SHIVERA laws become in effect.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts