WQCW - Huntington/Charleston

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SamCdbs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 7, 2008
DirecTV quietly added this market's CW affiliate in HD (previously SD only), on Tuesday.

Not that I am complaining, but the only HD material on the channel is that actual CW network shows (10 hours per week). Its rerun packages, syndication, and live sports are in SD. Seems like a waste of effort.

I know our local (Minneapolis) CW is the same way. Everything else is in "black bar hell". But alot of the syndicated shows are not in HD to begin with

Same here. It's just the way CW works. The only non-CW shows in HD are like Dr. Phil and Oprah. It's kind of the 'junk drawer' channel. Ours doesn't even have their own news programs, they just re-run the news off our CBS affiliate a couple hours later (SD of course!). How lame is that? When I was in NJ, at least WPIX (CW11) ran their own news.. :)

Last edited:
Our local CW station (WYCW) runs local news in HD which is produced by our CBS affiliate and sister station WSPA-TV. They run Judge Karen's Court in HD on WYCW. The last time I've checked on HD syndie shows on WSPA-TV (CBS) like Dr. Phil and The Insider, they're not in true HD. I've wrote them a letter a few months back. They said they don't have the equipment to record syndicated content in HD yet.

yep some of the networks just pass through the network stuff in HD. A few examples here in Minneapolis

Fox & My are owned by the network (Fox) yet other than news on Fox the only HD programming is directly from the network AKA Primetime (there was a Timberwolves game on My29 that was in HD). Both have syndicated programming that is in HD (I've seen the HD feed from the syndicated shows on C-Band)
CW same thing (noted above)
there is a distant CBS that only shows during the week Price is right, the soap after and Primetime. Everything else is black bar hell. The Fox subchannel shows 480i widescreen for network programming...otherwise black bar hell

yep some of the networks just pass through the network stuff in HD.

Pretty much the situation here. None do news or other local shows in HD.

NBC, which is the market leader, carries syndicated SEC sports and Jeopardy in HD.

ABC, carries syndicated Leastleftovers sports in HD.

Fox, has no HD programming other than from the network.

CBS, has no HD programming other than from the network.

CW, has no HD programming other than from the network.

Well I've forgot to tell you. I've alredy mentioned about CBS (WSPA-TV) and CW (WYCW-TV) on this about syndicated shows in HD. But NBC (WYFF-TV) carries programs in HD like Regis and Kelly, Oprah, Entertainment Tonight, Comedy.TV, and Ellen Degeneres. They broadcast local news in 16x9 SD. ABC (WLOS-TV) broadcasts Dr. Oz, Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy! and local news in HD. FOX (WHNS-TV) broadcasts Cops, How I Met Your Mother, Two and a Half Man, PokerStars.Net, Comics Unleashed, The Closer, L&O:SVU and correction Nate Berkus is on that channel and in HD also WHNS is the only network affiliated station to broadcast news in old-fashioned 4x3 SD. I don't know about My Network TV (WMYA-TV) eventhough the HD version is not carried by D*.

I was looking at for example screen captures (which updated periodically) at http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:29403 for OTA screen captures of Charleston, South Carolina market. Well WCSC-TV 5 (CBS) is the only station in Charleston, SC broadcasts local news in HD and syndicated programs I think or not. Despite WCIV-TV 4 (ABC) broadcasts Regis and Kelly, Ellen Degeneres, Dr. Oz, and Entertainment Tonight in HD, they still broadcast local news in 4x3 SD. Same story for WCBD-TV 2 (NBC) in which carries Dr. Phil, Oprah, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! not in HD. Also same story for WTAT-TV 24 (FOX) and its sister station WMMP-TV 36 (MNT).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts