WRAL DTV Test - DISH FAILED

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DISH_NC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Our local CBS Affiliate conducted a test during their 6pm news tonight. For 1 minute, they replaced the transmission on their legacy channel (Analog) with a message indicating that "If you are seeing this message, you need to upgrade to a digital receiver or if you are watching Cable or Satellite, you need to contact them to notify them that they are not prepared for the DTV transition date.

I saw that message on our 508 receiver.....

It appears that based on that, we will lose the SD channels in Feb. 2009. I would hope that won't happen, but these days, who knows.

Our local CBS Affiliate conducted a test during their 6pm news tonight. For 1 minute, they replaced the transmission on their legacy channel (Analog) with a message indicating that "If you are seeing this message, you need to upgrade to a digital receiver or if you are watching Cable or Satellite, you need to contact them to notify them that they are not prepared for the DTV transition date.

It appears that based on that, we will lose the SD channels in Feb. 2009. I would hope that won't happen, but these days, who knows.
According to this link: http://mstv.org/docs/sattransschedule.pdf

Raleigh Locals were supposed to be switched over on 9/1/08. They may be running behind on the conversion. Still time for them to switch (especially if it is a glitch that they are working on).

Geoff

According to this link: (deleted because I haven't been opinionated enough)

Raleigh Locals were supposed to be switched over on 9/1/08. They may be running behind on the conversion. Still time for them to switch (especially if it is a glitch that they are working on).

Geoff

I didn't know there was a Raleigh, South Carolina. :shocked:confused::no

Oh well, you learn something new everyday. :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar w/ the 508, but I know that my TV has a digital/analog button on the remote to change tuners. If one of my stations did that, I would think mine failed too, but if at the time they did it, I pressed the digital button & went back to the channel, it would work.... can anybody chime in on the 508? I have the 622 which has no analog tuner...

I'm not familiar w/ the 508, but I know that my TV has a digital/analog button on the remote to change tuners. If one of my stations did that, I would think mine failed too, but if at the time they did it, I pressed the digital button & went back to the channel, it would work.... can anybody chime in on the 508? I have the 622 which has no analog tuner...
This has nothing to do with what Dish receiver you're using. What I think he's saying is that Dish is still getting the WRAL SD channel via the analog transmission, not the digital. That needs to change before all the analog transmissions get shut down next February.

The 508 does not have an OTA tuner - only Antenna passthru to a TV (there is no antenna connected to our 508). This was the SD feed coming from DISH on channel 8751 (channel 5 remapped).

Just not sure if I should contact them (as per the message on the screen) or if DISH is aware of this and has a plan.....

This has nothing to do with what Dish receiver you're using. What I think he's saying is that Dish is still getting the WRAL SD channel via the analog transmission, not the digital. That needs to change before all the analog transmissions get shut down next February.

Yep, that's where I'd place my nickel bet.

Remember recently there was some action by D* & E* to get some kind of accelerated or delayed conversion of their source signals? Something about claiming the regs as written made it impossible for them to convert over everybody in the limited amount of time given.

I'd love to know what percent of SD LiLs the satcos provide today are from the digital version of the channel, vice the old analog version.

Ah... my bad... I wasn't familiar w/ the 508 & didn't know about the tuner, I made the mistake and ASS-U-MEd the OP was speaking of OTA through the receiver...

:)

So is E* actually letterboxing a 16:9 signal for their existing 4:3 locals? Or are they cropping?
Only one local channel I know of transmits an SDTV simulcast (WFYI PBS) here in Indianapolis at least.

So is E* actually letterboxing a 16:9 signal for their existing 4:3 locals? Or are they cropping?

I think they are just using the Zoom to 4:3 function of their DTVPal or TR-40CRA digital converter.

I have a feeling my locals were converted a month or so ago - they were out late at night for a few hours and when they came back, they looked a little different, as if they were being run through a digital converter box. My signal strength on the spot beamed SD locals is quite high and the SD channels were sometimes tiling and blanking, just like those channels would if I tuned them off-air with my HD set. That's why I think my LIL facility was upgraded that night.

I"m sure other city LIL receive facilities will be upgraded from analog to digital reception slowly but surely in time to be ready for February and that Raleigh hasn't been done yet.

Perhaps Charlie will just tell all his subs that they have to upgrade to HD to get their locals.:shocked

Ted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts