Wrong data on Satcalulator site?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greysquirrel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
My Longitude is 82.50 so I figure my TS sat would be Nimiq2 or AMC 9, as Nimiq2 is a Bev satellite I figure to go with AMC9 as Iceberg's transponder sticky lists two data transponders on there that have a strong signal. AMC9 from my location has a Mag. Azimuth of 186.40 listed on GeoSatFinder - Satellite Finder Calculator © Satellite AV but if I go to this site
Satellite look-angle calculator
put in my zip 28739 check the SG2100 box the information I get is that my Mag Azimuth would be 89.84 which is my LAT plus my deviation, now am I not reading their results properly or is this an error in their calculations?
If I check the box for a single satellite and put in AMC 9 I get the nearly same setting as Geosatfinder but a couple of degrees off.
If 89.84 is an error and someone used it I don't think they would get anything from my location or maybe it is right and I just don't understand what people are saying when they say pick a satellite close to your Longitude.

yes its an error. Your magnetic azimuth is 180 + or - something depending on your longitude. I am at 93W and my TS longitude is 177 (180-3)

186 sounds right for that part of the country...see attached

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 192
yes its an error. Your magnetic azimuth is 180 + or - something depending on your longitude. I am at 93W and my TS longitude is 177 (180-3)

186 sounds right for that part of the country...see attached

Thanks for the reply Iceberg and thanks for all the stickies with info on transponders, what satellites are where and especially your sticky with tips I find them a great source of information for those new to the hobby.

glad to help out :)

the error above looks like they added the magnetic to the satellite position (hence the 89)...but for your area 186 is where you aim the dish :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)