wrong lnb?

kickers

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
nc
:rant:Hi,,I have paid sub from dn and using the vip612 at home and dn put a dish plub lnb on and the extra reciever I took next door to another building of mine and I already had dish 500 up and 2 dual lnb's, my problem is on the xtra reciever I moved next door it is not picking up all of the channels, I think it may be missing a whole satellite, as Im not gettting lifetime,,most of the 200, no speed,,espn,,ect. Do i need to put a different lnb or what to pick up these other channels?? Thanks;)

:rant:Hi,,I have paid sub from dn and using the vip612 at home and dn put a dish plub lnb on and the extra reciever I took next door to another building of mine and I already had dish 500 up and 2 dual lnb's, my problem is on the xtra reciever I moved next door it is not picking up all of the channels, I think it may be missing a whole satellite, as Im not gettting lifetime,,most of the 200, no speed,,espn,,ect. Do i need to put a different lnb or what to pick up these other channels?? Thanks;)

Well I have a hard time understanding what you are saying! But I think you are saying that you have one system with a 612 and another receiver on a DPP system. You took the other receiver over to another building (a no no) and it has a Dish500 with 2 duals.

You need to run a check switch on the extra receiver so it knows what it's looking at. Menu 6-1-1 select the check switch option. Then hit test. It will come bacok with a different setup tell it to save. Then you should work fine. If you take it back to the other building (I doubt you will as it sounds like you are account stacking, again a no no :cool:) you will have to run a check switch again.

Well I have a hard time understanding what you are saying! But I think you are saying that you have one system with a 612 and another receiver on a DPP system. You took the other receiver over to another building (a no no) and it has a Dish500 with 2 duals.

You need to run a check switch on the extra receiver so it knows what it's looking at. Menu 6-1-1 select the check switch option. Then hit test. It will come bacok with a different setup tell it to save. Then you should work fine. If you take it back to the other building (I doubt you will as it sounds like you are account stacking, again a no no :cool:) you will have to run a check switch again.

Thanks for the info and yur help..Not sure what a DPP system is but I am saying that main reciever is in my house it is the 611, then I have another reciever that I have in building next door which also is mine so i dont see that it matters but anyway it also has a dish 500 but the lnbs are different than the ones i have at home, the one at home is a dish pro the others are not I thought this may make a difference?? Also I dont need a special switch for the othe building do I?? Have a switch on it now since i have to use both lnbs?? I will go ahead and try what u said. Thanks again..

I would guess that you have two Dish 500 systems; one is on your main house, and the other is on an outbuilding. The main house dish has a DishPro Plus twin (with built-in switch), and the other has two dual legacy LNBs. Any Dish receiver can make sense out of a legacy LNB. The problem is that having a Dish 500 with two dual LNBs means that there is no integrated switch as there is with a twin LNB. What you need is a legacy switch, such as the SW21, or a twin LNB with integrated switch.

My guess is a 1000.x on the house since Dish installed it for HD. The Dish 500 on the other bldg will need 2 SW21 switches for a dual-tuner receiver, and yes kickers, it is one less satellite than the house dish.

You might try the non-standard set-up of aiming the 500 for 61.5° and 72.7°, missing out on the handful of HD channels recently moved to 77°.

Is the other building close enough to run another line from the house dish? Or you could put up another 1000.x to get all the channels.

not close enough to run another line,,but you mean put the 1000 dish at the other building the one that is not picking up all of the channels,,or could i just change the lnb/s to a dish pro twin??? Or will i still need switches if i change lnb??

Replacing the Duals with a Twin leave you viewing the same 2 satellites, but you no longer need the external switches. If the receiver is a dual-tuner model you should get the DishPro Plus (DPP) Twin so you can install with one line and the Separator.

To get the missing channels, put up another Dish 1000.x like on the house.

Replacing the Duals with a Twin leave you viewing the same 2 satellites, but you no longer need the external switches. If the receiver is a dual-tuner model you should get the DishPro Plus (DPP) Twin so you can install with one line and the Separator.

To get the missing channels, put up another Dish 1000.x like on the house.
how do i know if it is a dual tuner model,,it is a 211 and what is a seperator

So are we! On your main house receiver, what does your system info screen say? It should list all the satellite locations you are receiving. You keep mentioning two Dish 500 dishes, one on the main house and one on the out building. But a Dish 500 can only pick up two satellites at once, and for HD you probably need 3. bobabird thinks you actually have a Dish 1000.2 on your main house which would pick up 110/119/129 on one dish. If all you have on your outbuilding is a Dish 500, then you probably will never get all the HD channels you get on your main dish.

That said, you can replace your two dual LNBs with a single twin LNB, either legacy, DishPro, or DishPro Plus. It doesn't matter which model twin you buy, because all twins have a built-in switch, and any of them can feed your 211 via a single cable.

"... what does your system info screen say? It should list all the satellite locations you are receiving."

menu-menu
or
menu-6-1-1, Check Switch, Summary

"... what does your system info screen say? It should list all the satellite locations you are receiving."

menu-menu
or
menu-6-1-1, Check Switch, Summary
It says 110 and 119,,dish 500 with dpp twin and seperator this is the main reciever at my house,,,the other one at the other building is also a dish 500 same satellites but the lnb is different,,that is the one i cannot pick up all channels like i have at home,,but i still have a switch on the lnbs and it may be bad because i think i am only picking up one satellite???

OK, now we have almost all the information we need to solve your problem. Apparently you really do have two Dish 500 dishes, which will only pick up 2 satellites. I'm surprised you are happy with this setup for your HD receivers, because you can get a whole lot more HD channels either by swapping out your 500 for a Dish 1000, or by adding a wing dish for 129 or 61.5.

Anyhow, the final missing bits of information are what type of dual LNBs you have on your outbuilding Dish 500, and what type of switch you added. Your 211 can handle anything. But the type of LNB and type of switch have to match. That is why I suggested buying a legacy, DishPro, or DishPro Plus twin LNB, since these all have integrated switches and therefore can't be mismatched. If you have legacy dual LNBs, then the cheapest fix is to acquire a SW21 legacy switch. If you have DishPro dual LNBs, then the next cheapest fix would be to buy a DP21 switch, if you can find one. (They're discontinued in favor of the DP34.)

What you have now on your main house is a DishPro Plus twin which has two advantages over the earlier twins. It can drive 2 dual-tuner receivers such as your 612 via a single cable (for each receiver), and it has an input for a wing dish. The latter may be important to you when you decide you want the HD channels that only exist on 129 or 61.5.

the dish500 I have been testing has on the first port satellites 118,119,and 129, while port 2 has the 110. the cable running out of port1 runs into a receiver while the cable running out of port 2 doesn't go into anything. what am I missing? The tv it is hooked to is receiving everything it is supposed to get (says the tvs owner). I don't want to hijack a thread so if you could I started a thread called 'dish500' earlier.

the dish500 I have been testing has on the first port satellites 118,119,and 129, while port 2 has the 110. the cable running out of port1 runs into a receiver while the cable running out of port 2 doesn't go into anything. what am I missing?
There is a dish called the Dish 500+ which can receive 110, 118., and 119 simultaneously. It is about 3' wide. If it can receive 110, 118, 119 and 129, then it's a 1000+. I don't have either of these dishes, but my understanding is that they both have individual DP outputs for each satellite, and would require an external switch in order to combine the signal and feed it to a Dish receiver.
I don't want to hijack a thread so if you could I started a thread called 'dish500' earlier.
Yeah, but you put it in the General CableTV and Satellite forum, rather than here where such questions belong.

OK, now we have almost all the information we need to solve your problem. Apparently you really do have two Dish 500 dishes, which will only pick up 2 satellites. I'm surprised you are happy with this setup for your HD receivers, because you can get a whole lot more HD channels either by swapping out your 500 for a Dish 1000, or by adding a wing dish for 129 or 61.5.

Anyhow, the final missing bits of information are what type of dual LNBs you have on your outbuilding Dish 500, and what type of switch you added. Your 211 can handle anything. But the type of LNB and type of switch have to match. That is why I suggested buying a legacy, DishPro, or DishPro Plus twin LNB, since these all have integrated switches and therefore can't be mismatched. If you have legacy dual LNBs, then the cheapest fix is to acquire a SW21 legacy switch. If you have DishPro dual LNBs, then the next cheapest fix would be to buy a DP21 switch, if you can find one. (They're discontinued in favor of the DP34.)

What you have now on your main house is a DishPro Plus twin which has two advantages over the earlier twins. It can drive 2 dual-tuner receivers such as your 612 via a single cable (for each receiver), and it has an input for a wing dish. The latter may be important to you when you decide you want the HD channels that only exist on 129 or 61.5.

If i put a dish pro plus twin lnb on the building will i be able to pretty much same channels as i do at home??? And would it just hook the main line from inside to lnb??
dn set this up so I thought i was getting all the channels that i am paying for,,i just have the silver 200 [package..

If i put a dish pro plus twin lnb on the building will i be able to pretty much same channels as i do at home??? And would it just hook the main line from inside to lnb??
Yes, and yes. Same satellites, equivalent HD receivers on the same account... You will get precisely the same channels. The actual physical antenna and cabling doesn't matter.
dn set this up so I thought i was getting all the channels that i am paying for,,i just have the silver 200 [package..
That's a mystery to me, since you've got two HD receivers, but (apparently) no HD package. Huh. :confused:

Finnally got it fixed almost,,it was just a bad switch,,now i have all the channels i have at home except for my locals and they are not coming in,,any suggestions??