WS1247 setup questions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

airforcevet123

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2005
Keller, Texas
WS International just informed me yesterday the WS1247 offset dish can now be motorized which probably is good news. I will be purchasing one very soon along with the DMX 741 Lnb and the WS-KU2C Conical Scaler Kit. Question....I live in Keller, Texas where I have clear sight of 87, 89, 91, 99, 101, 103 and 105 West Satellites with Elevations around 51 degrees; Do I need to have this Dish motorized? I am most interested in obtaining 91 west for the Chinese channels for my spouse.

Thanks everyone.

airforcevet123

Look at MPEG 2 CENTRAL and FTAList for ethnic programming channels receivable in NA. In Texas there might be some Atlantic sats receivable as well - look at Lyngsat for Sat lists by world region and Sat reception maps. DMS741 C/Ku band LNBF was designed for a prime focus dish, and as Iceberg found, will not show its best in Ku band if mounted on an offset dish. It won't work well either, when shifted off the dish focal point in a multifeed fashion, hence setting a motorized dish is your best bet. But DMS741 can be used as a starting point, if you want to compare several LNB mounting solutions known to work for a mini-BUD, some never tried. Keep in mind, a motorized dish setup is more complex and requires some extra skills, but aiming the dish doesn't depend much on the type of LNB used. Check also your forum PM box for more info.

Attachments

• C_LNB_Offset Dish.jpg
    C_LNB_Offset Dish.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 157
  • C_LNB_Prime Focus Dish.jpg
    C_LNB_Prime Focus Dish.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Ku_LNB_Offset Dish.jpg
    Ku_LNB_Offset Dish.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Ku_LNB_Prime Focus Dish.jpg
    Ku_LNB_Prime Focus Dish.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Zamar23, I appreciate your help and everyone elses' information on the Lnbs and the best Satellite Dish to use for my needs.

Being a layman, this would be my first project of setting up an FTA system with two receivers. Now the hard part, which Satellite Dish to use; would the 90cm Toroidal T90 work best where I can receive 72, 89, 95, 99, and 121 west satellites?

I understand using a motorized dish, then both receivers are stuck on the same satellite, is this correct? Ideally, my wife would use 95 west for Chinese channels on one receiver and I would like to use the other receiver to view channels on 99 and 121 west.

Being a layman, this would be my first project of setting up an FTA system with two receivers. Now the hard part, which Satellite Dish to use; would the 90cm Toroidal T90 work best where I can receive 72, 89, 95, 99, and 121 west satellites?

The T90 can only be used for 40 deg arc (+- a few deg). So, you will not be able to get 121 in that set up. I have one T90 that has 74, 79, 87, 91, 97, 101, 105). Ive gotten up to 111.7 but thats it. Being that a T90 is hard to find these days, you'd be best to get one stationary dish for 95 and another for your motoring needs. If you can get a T90, thats great. I'd suggest a larger dish for 95. Not because you will need it, but for the ability to add a few lnbs left and right, As you surf around, you may find a few sats that you and your wife watch a lot. This will give you the ablitly to watch these while still using your motorized for yourself :)

Which Satellite Dish to use; would the 90cm Toroidal T90 work best where I can receive 72, 89, 95, 99, and 121 west satellites?
You might be right in that it's not an easy question to answer, simply because there is no single answer. I take it, you target only Ku-band sats, and Toroidal dish may be a good choice for that, but not for C-band. It is however an overkill for your choice of sats, unless its going to expand, and at the same time might not cover every sat you selected. Another option to look at may be a MULTIPLE SATELLITE RECEPTION SOLUTIONS, offered by Mike Kohl.
airforcevet123 said:
I understand using a motorized dish, then both receivers are stuck on the same satellite, is this correct? Ideally, my wife would use 95 west for Chinese channels on one receiver and I would like to use the other receiver to view channels on 99 and 121 west.
There are more Chinese channels available on other sats. However, if 95W is the only choice for your wife, it might be a good idea to setup 2 dishes as suggested above: a stationary one for 95W (look at required dish size at Lyngsat), and the other motorized dish for the rest. Keep in mind, with a motorized dish you're not necessarily limited to a single receiver - look through Satellite System Structure Optimization thread for more ideas. Also, a larger 1.2 - 1.8 m motorized dish can be setup as a mini-BUD, delivering you a better choice of channels from both C-and-Ku bands (including Chinese), and plenty of experimentation options in the future. :)

Last edited:
If you are wanting quality C Band programming go with at least an 8' dish. If you don't have the space get a 6'. A 1.2M dish is fun to play with for C Band, but honestly it's too small. I have one motorized with the following Birds 91, 99, 120.9 125...I never tried below 91, but I will. I have 70Q on a few TP's but there is not much programming available... If you can only get a 1.2 don't get your hopes up too much. Sorry to sound negative, just remember that a mini BUD is a toy...That's all they are

agreed

I had a 1.2m dish for C-Band and it worked ok (my review on it is in the review area) the 6 footer is minimum for stable C-Band porgramming :)

agreed

I had a 1.2m dish for C-Band and it worked ok (my review on it is in the review area) the 6 footer is minimum for stable C-Band porgramming :)

I have read that thread...I read how you got it & that was one of the reasons why I chose to do business with galaxy marketing. I figured anyone that is going to do business that way has mine. The trouble is I have seen Sadoun the same way & I buy from them as well....haha I try & spread it around a little. This site is a great place to get info on FTA. Most all others deal with straight hacks. Reading your thread makes me want to play with my dish a little more...Hopefully this winter I can play with the mini I actually joined this forum in June of this year, but I had lurked around here for a year or so now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts