WSI Vbox X Relay Stuck??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
I've got one of these that has a relay stuck and it moves the actuator as soon as it's plugged into the socket. I went looking for a replacement for it but I'm having problems finding one with the same part number. What I have is an SRU-12VDC-SD-C and searching hasn't shown me anything but the data sheet for that model?? I can find plenty that are SRU-12VDC-SL-C relays but I'm not sure they are a direct replacement?

Can any of you "Geek" types tell me if the SRU-12VDC-SL-C will work in place of the SRU-12VDC-SD-C that's in there now?

Thanks

Oh, and one of the other Vbox X controllers I have that's bad has something completely different on that one?

About that stuck relay. There is a capacitor on the board to help that from happening. Here is a picture of a bad capacitor on that board. Notice the top of the cap is slightly bulged out. Look at the good caps near it. I replaced that one. It is a 35V series, probably would replace it with a 50V of the same value.
VBox X.jpg

About that stuck relay. There is a capacitor on the board to help that from happening. Here is a picture of a bad capacitor on that board. Notice the top of the cap is slightly bulged out. Look at the good caps near it. I replaced that one. It is a 35V series, probably would replace it with a 50V of the same value.

Magic, one of the three bad Vbox Xs I have has a bad cap in that location but the one I'm working on now doesn't. The one with the bad cap is the one that got hit by lightning recently and even the display on that one won't come on even though the transformer is good. I may try that one if I can make either of these other two work again but I'm not optimistic that anything can be done with it.

Relays were ordered this morning and the total for 10 shipped was $6.31 so that was a pretty good deal.

To be continued once parts get here.

Thanks again guys!!

WOW, just watched a de-soldering video where the guy used a copper braid wick. Had to have me some of that as this vacuum deal I have doesn't seem to work anywhere near as good as the wick does. Ordered a roll of that also.

The soldering iron I have is an old Rat Shack dual heat, 15w and 30w with a fine pointed tip. May look into replacing that too later on since it came over on the Mayflower and even fleabay doesn't have any replacement tips for it.

I guess you CAN teach an old dog some new tricks, hey!

Lone: O YES! The braid will wick up the solder very well, much better for small work than the solder-suckers! The suckers work better on larger amounts of solder. Often I follow up with wick after sucking...

Reactions: Lone Gunman
The wick is better than a plain spring activated solder sucker, but a cheap de-soldering iron is even better, if you can find one. Radio Shack use to have one for $7, maybe one could be found on Amazon or EBay.

Got those relays today? #*&@*&%#&& THEY SENT THE WRONG ONES!?!?!?! :wtf2 The word M0R0NS applies here! :deadhorse2

This seems to be a trend lately as this is the 3rd item within the past month that I've had to return, or, file a claim on?? Heard on Clark Howard the other day that fleabay has around 60 MILLION of these type of claims processed each year? I guess we all will get hit sooner or later then, hey.

Ok so here's more from the M0R0NS I bought those relays from. So they made me send them a picture of what they sent and the package, then, the next day they sent me an Email notifying me that I was getting a refund and there was no need to send these WRONG relays back?? WTF?? Ok, so nothing was said about actually sending me what I ordered in the first place?? So I sent them another message asking why they didn't send the correct parts instead of the refund and they told me if I still wanted them I could order them again?? Yet another WTF moment, hey!!

You just couldn't make this crap up!

Voltage question? One of these Vboxes has only 6v ac on two of the transformer wires where it connects to the board. The other pair shows 39v ac.

Now get this, when I disconnect those wires/the plug from the board that 6v ac turns into 18v ac??? WTF??? Is this suppose to be like this or do I have a transformer problem?

This one was the victim of the last lightning strike and shows NOTHING on the display when it's plugged into the wall socket. The power button on the remote won't turn it on either.

Thanks

OH, and I still don't have relays? They're in North Carolina last time I checked.

Last edited:
The transformer has two voltages 36v and 18v. The 36v is just the motor circuit. The 18v runs the board. Sounds like you have a heavy draw, almost dead short in the board maybe.

Ok guys, need some help. One Vbox X will run West, but will not run East. STILL waiting on relays from fleabay vendor so I got impatient yesterday and switched the East/West Relays and it's still not running East but will still run West.

So what would cause the East control circuit not to work and is that something I can fix?

Thanks

Assuming the micro-controller is ok, it will be the transistor driving the relay. Swapping out relays tells you that it is not the relay.
So next step is replace the driver transistor or swap them around if you are up for it, just be careful adding the extra heat to swap them out.
If you decided to change out the transistor, I would change them both out while you are at it.

What is the part number on the transistors on yours next to the relays. Just about any Bi-polar NPN will most likely work.

Edit: They may not be "right next to" the relays, but you should only find two transistors between the microCon and the relays.
One of the boards I have does not have individual transistors, it has a transistor array, which looks like a chip. It uses the ULN2003.

Are the transistors those two flat rectangular thingies with 3 legs on'em that are sitting between the capacitors on Magic's photo up the page? If so I might be over my head with that one as those solder terminals are VERY close together. Hummmm...................

Next question, Another of these Vbox X positioners will start the actuator running West as soon as it's plugged up, ie, you don't even have to turn it on. So does that mean that the contacts in the relay are fused making it run all the time? Will changing that out fix it?

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)