Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
Just the plain roamio, my main use for streaming mostly, and OTA I have a antenna.. I would prefer I could use this roamio on cable or OTA. just in case we dont like streaming

i have the tivo ota model if you are interested. i never activated it. but it has been activated before by a fellow satguys member!

i have the tivo ota model if you are interested. i never activated it. but it has been activated before by a fellow satguys member!

thanks but try calling tivos customer care number.

when asked about a lifetime service

one rep said not available.

one rep remarked my account along with a quoted price of 150 bucks since i am already a tivo user

one rep said 600 bucks.

one rep said it must be a 2 year monthly before being moved to a lifetime

if i called again no doubt i could get another answer:(

bob, if you are talking about the tivo ota, it originally sold for 50 dollars and you could only purchase monthly service. then tivo jacked the price way up with the option of annual or lifetime service on it.

Product lifetime service is now $600 for any tivos that previously did not have product lifetime service added to them before the Bolt came out and Tivo made the pricing unfavorable for lifetime service.

monthly or annual pricing is all that is available otherwise.

Unless you can find a good deal on a Base Roamio or Roamio OTA with lifetime serivice, I would just buy a Bolt now, since it comes with 1 year of service with the purchase price. I got in on several of the deals going on this past summer and bought 3 Base Roamios and a Roamio OTA all with lifetime service for myself and parents. I paid $400 or less for each of them including the lifetime service. $600 plus the cost of the Tivo is just not worth it now in my opinion.

just checked tivo.com. they are offering the bolt for 299.99 including a year of free service.
$300 + $600 lifetime = $900. If you shop around, you can find Bolt closer to $200, making it the $800 Bob posted.

Glad I got my Roamio Basic with liftetime back when they were only $300. $900 would be really hard to swallow. That's a 3 year break-even compared to subscription ($150/year).

Reactions: osu1991
You're worried about ATSC2? I'm worried about ATSC3.

But seriously, with all the hardware deployed right now, it's going to be many years before it's obsolete. My current Tivo will be long dead by then.

You're worried about ATSC2? I'm worried about ATSC3.

But seriously, with all the hardware deployed right now, it's going to be many years before it's obsolete. My current Tivo will be long dead by then.
Yeah, I meant ATSC3. Sorry. Not sure of the timeframe though. There seems to be a lot of pressure to do this quickly so bandwidth can be released for cell and data services. I am afraid there will be some half baked plan for "converter boxes" and a short, like 2 year transition period. But this isn't the place. There is another thread for this discussion.

I snagged a ota roamio for 315 bucks from craiglist, including shipping

my new get rid of comcast for tv:)

Yeah, I meant ATSC3. Sorry. Not sure of the timeframe though. There seems to be a lot of pressure to do this quickly so bandwidth can be released for cell and data services. I am afraid there will be some half baked plan for "converter boxes" and a short, like 2 year transition period. But this isn't the place. There is another thread for this discussion.

cell can double its effective bandwidth by cutting cell spot size by half...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)