WTF! 2nd H10 Reciever, Picture is Dark, Ghosting... WTF!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gnnr

Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Okay, just installed and setup my 2nd H10 reciever now. Same problem... too dark SD image, ghosting, pixellation... HD image is washed out a bit too. Tried it on component, HDMI, and using an HDMI to DVI cable.

It's through a Samsung DLP RPTV. The TV is tweaked, adjusted. It's not the TV... the darned thing will run you out of the room it is so bright and clear on DVD or with my old digital cable setup (HD and SD).

Now... two things.

1) I don't have a phone in this house, I use cell. Will this box flash if I plug it in overnight? Will this help???

2) If I return this POS, what box do I want to get for 300 or so that has HD, D* compatiblity, and is ready for MPEG4?

Please help... please.

1- Updates are from satellite, phone line has nothing to do with it.

2- Where are you located? Some CompUSA's still have TS-360 in stock

North NJ, Saddlebrook. Glad I don't have to be connected to phone. what a PITA.

Is it mpeg4 compatible? I don't want to have to buy another in a few months or what ever...

There are no MPEG4 units currently available. Gnnr, you know that the settings you have tweaked for your DVD and/or your previous cable box will not be the same for this HD receiver. You must adjust them to optimize the picture. Every component outputs video differently and the TV must be tweaked to get the best picture. Good luck.

Take that mother back. I too was using one with a Samsung DLP and hated it. No amount of tweaking will make it brighten up with out washing out the scene. Replaced it with an RCA DTC-210 and am so glad I did. Don't know anything about the TS-360 but it's worth a try.

Gnnr,
Before you go trying to replace this with another model, you should know that just about every model has some problems. There are threads with over 500+ posts on each of the D* HD receivers over at avsforum. The TS-360 is known to have lockup problems, audio sync problems, and it has a weak OTA tuner. The RCA DTC210 has some issues too. It likes to strech SD programming, it crushes the blacks over the DVI connection, and has an annoying horizontal line through the middle of the screen during horizontal pans on 1080i programming. (I've personally owned a DTC210).

As far as the H10 goes, I read that there is a brand new software update for the H10 that makes the HDMI brighter. Wait and see, the update should come automatically within a few days.

Your other option is to wait until D* starts swapping boxes for MPEG4. They will do this at no cost supposedly. It looks like you are probably in the NY DMA which will be one of first to get the transistion. You cannot buy an MPEG4 box yet. Anything you get today will have to be swapped out in late fall when the transition happens.

billbillw said:
There are no MPEG4 units currently available. Gnnr, you know that the settings you have tweaked for your DVD and/or your previous cable box will not be the same for this HD receiver. You must adjust them to optimize the picture. Every component outputs video differently and the TV must be tweaked to get the best picture. Good luck.

Hmmm... the H10 is mpeg4 compatible (units built after feb 05, with a flash from D*, as I understand it)... why not others... you sure about that? MPEG4 has been around a long time and the switch over has been known about for a while too. Surprising.

And I did adjust my set and I am very knowledgeable about it. I even did some service menu level tweaking and I have mine totally adjusted using my Video Essentials disk and had a tech come in soon after purchase to do a full calibration as well (not cheap but well worth it).

Even after the flash last night for us east coasters the image is still dark and I still get ghosting. The set is tweaked as good as it's getting (without washing out and exasperating the ghosting issue further, color is on though). It's the SD signal that looks like arse... the HD is pretty good to great (depending on the signal) and I am satisfied there.

The H10 is definetly not MPEG4 compatible. No flash or software update in the world will provide that. There has been exhaustive discussion related to that rumor, it is false.

What channels are you watching that look so bad? I think maybe you are expecting too much out of the SD programming. I agree that the SD looks pretty crappy, but I've compared the quality of the D* SD side by side with Comcast's digital SD (using my integrated QAM tuner) and I really can't see much difference. Maybe the cable service you had was better quality (less compression) than Comcast in my area, but most are guilty of trying to squeeze too many channels into the available bandwidth.

Try watching FX on D*. I think that Over There looks great, even when zoomed to get the letterbox to fit the screen.

Hnmmmm... tier two tech (without prompting) and CSR both confirmed that they are being flash upgraded when the time comes for boxes made after Feb of 05. They have the hardware onboard, just a software change. Lots of other people reporting the same things. How has it been proven false... it's a simple matter to impliment a backwards compatible, same pin out chipset on an inproduction model, happens with a lot of consumer electronics (heck, many products are upgradeable from the start, only software is holding them back).

As for the PQ/IQ issues it's primarily with SD programming... all of it. I am used to the issues of SD analog IQ on a high def, big screen set. But it's 5X as bad as it was when I was on cable. I have a dark image (not quite as dark as last week, the flash last night helped a hair), pixellation, and severe ghosting in the black areas (DLP doesn't ghost on it's own, it's the box). I know the set, even how to work service mode for tweaking after the calibration (the tech showed me some nice tricks) and have the full service manual so I am positive the set is fine. HD programming, even on a composite connection (I am running HDMI to DVI right now, but have had it on composite and hdmi/hdmi also), looks fine... a hair darker than I want but a bit of tweaking and it's fine... but SD looks almost unwatchable at times, especially shows with lots of dark scenes and clothing. The biggest gripe is the ghosting though... that is ridiculous.

gnnr,
If what you are saying is true, about not swapping out boxes for MPEG4.
How is it that the dish is going to suddenly be able to pick up the other 2 satellites ?
Is this going to just pop in when the software is updated ???

I have heard that D* will go to a 5 lnb dish, if so then D* would STILL have to come out, for the majority of people.

Jimbo

Is the h-20 available? I see an add in the new electronic house that makes it sound like it is currently available, and there is mpeg-4 being broadcast from directv. What the deal is it really ready or just a little early???

gnnr said:
Okay, just installed and setup my 2nd H10 reciever now. Same problem... too dark SD image, ghosting, pixellation... HD image is washed out a bit too. Tried it on component, HDMI, and using an HDMI to DVI cable.

It's through a Samsung DLP RPTV. The TV is tweaked, adjusted. It's not the TV... the darned thing will run you out of the room it is so bright and clear on DVD or with my old digital cable setup (HD and SD).

Now... two things.

1) I don't have a phone in this house, I use cell. Will this box flash if I plug it in overnight? Will this help???

2) If I return this POS, what box do I want to get for 300 or so that has HD, D* compatiblity, and is ready for MPEG4?

Please help... please.

I have the exact same problem with the sir-ts360 and I have have came to the conclusion that no matter what box you use it will be a dark picture on sd. I tried hdmi to dvi and it did help out the brightness of sd, but it made the hd ch worse. What do you mean by will the box flash if I plug it in overnight???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)