WVMH lockout/Hopper Upgrade--what to do???

niksay

Original poster
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, and I only have a basic knowledge of Dish technology and lingo, so please bear with me as I seek advice to my dilemma. Thanks!
On June 19, I ordered the Hopper/Joey upgrade for my whole home. Install was scheduled for July 6. On July 1, I was surprised with a lockout from West Virginia Media Holdings, my local provider for 3 of my 4 major networks. Looks like negotiations are NOT going well, and I'm currently only receiving NBC due to this lockout. I do have an antenna attached to the satellite, but recepton is spotty. I postponed my install as I mill over what to do--I really am interested in this upgrade, but should I even bother with access to only one network? A few years back, I used All American Direct for distant networks--would this be an option for the Hopper/Joey system? Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Fingers crossed that the negotiations work out soon, but from what I hear locally, I'm not holding my breath....:(

Thanks so much!

Primetime Anytime will only work if dish is providing the channels via satellite. Over The Air tuner is not available for hopper yet, but would still not work with primetime anytime

If primetime anytime is not a deal breaker, you could get an antenna and connect directly to your HD TV or converter box, or use the other provider for networks as you mentioned.

EDITED: You would still receive other benefits of hopper Joey system. Such as shared recordings, an extra tuner if you only have 2 now, dlna, apps and searchable blockbuster movie pass with internet connectivity. Possibly some other stuff I'm not thinking about.

If it was me, I would get a better antenna, keep my equipment and use OTA integrated into the guide for now. Then even when your networks return, wait for the Hopper to have the OTA USB available before upgrading.

I will answer your question with a question: If negotiatons never get worked out, would you still want to stay with Dish?

If the answer is no, don't get the Hopper along with a new contract until you know the outcome.

If the answer is "yes, I love Dish and never want to leave," then go ahead with the Hopper. Even without full PTAT support, I think it is a better receiver than the VIPs.

If I had to bet, I'd put money on things getting resolved, but you never know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)