X-4 Ku Package on 4DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jim "Spot" Beam

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2005
Southern Ohio
Is anyone doing this?

Is it possible to subscribe to these using only a KU dish?

Or...

Short of mounting that BUD,

are there other KU packages requiring multiple satellites that don't require BUD?

Thanks

Note: if you do this, I don't know how you will get updates for the maps, or the IPG. As far as I know, the maps can be achieved from any digital Premium Movie channel (I think), but the guide is only available from C-band G1 channel 3 (I think). Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Again, Good Luck!

Al

Yes you can do it but you need a used 4dtv or ask the dealer to load the latest maps on the unit before they ship it, one bad thing is if channels move or new ones are added you will need to load the new maps, the only way to do this is to hook it up to c-band.

Good thing to do if you have a buddy with c-band that you can see incase you need new maps.

You will not get the programming guide on ku-band so you will need a book or a internet guide.

The maps can be manually programmed using a BDM (basic debug mode) wiggler.

This can be accomplished on any DC II receiver (Star Choice, VOOM, etc.). You don't need to buy an expensive 4DTV receiver.

So with a computer and BDM cable you can get access after connecting the receiver to your pc to install the maps.

I know there is a program on the internet for 4dtv receivers that allow you to modify the channel maps.

This can be accomplished on any DC II receiver (Star Choice, VOOM, etc.). You don't need to buy an expensive 4DTV receiver.

I do not follow... If he did get the maps someway onto a DCII receiver but not a 4dtv how would he subscribe? Or are you just saying he can get the maps and watch the subsciption is needed message if he used another receiver.

More questions

I read this, and an earlier post, as basically subscribe (get the maps via the seller if possible) and on alternate Set Top boxes/if the maps change; do a manual edit of the channels.

Other questions, not hacking for theft of signals,
but hacking as an overclocking analogy...

Star Choice can be edited to subscribe to 4DTV? Anyone doing this?

Voom does Digicipher II? If so, dang it I missed one at the good will last month.

also

Is there any FTA Digicipher II (not subscription based) or are those Cable Operator Headend feeds?

I have used the following application along with a BDM wiggler and had good results with Star Choice receivers.

http://www.coolstf.com/4play/

I have since written my own application (since I am a programmer) and text files in order to load channel maps that I desire.

I just got my first VOOM box last week and hope to get that working as well to receive all the FTA DCII channels.

I was even told that I could subscribe to programming using any of these DCII boxes by a program supplier, but have not done so at this time.

I was even told that I could subscribe to programming using any of these DCII boxes by a program supplier, but have not done so at this time.

For the few free DCII channels the 4play will work but unless you clone the unit ID off a 4dtv (this is illegal) I do not see how one can subscribe to programming since Motorola set the systems up in a way not to activate a Star choice box (or any other) for 4dtv programming and can tell by the unit ID.

The woman from SPS told me that it doesn't matter if the box is a 4DTV or Star Choice, VOOM, etc. She told me to give her a call when I am ready to subscribe.

Perhaps you are right, but this is what she told me. After I get all my dishes installed once again (just moved) I will give them a call and see if I can subscribe to programming.

I completed the install of my DSR920 today, mated to a Geosatpro 90 cm dish and a gsl1s lnbf. I subscribed to the X4 package from Skyvision and found out that you cannot get the guide without G1 for download. You can get rehits from ch.440 on X4 though. Now I have to say that I have not seen a picture from a c-band capable receiver in 9+ years and I forgot how good television can look, much better than the little E*** dish that I have been using. The only question unanswered for me is rain fade with the 90cm dish as this is larger than I have been using and I haven't seen any reviews for this dish. Now I need a new actuator arm and a c/ku lnbf and it's on to the big dish.

Yes you will not get the giude, I think hits can be taken on 430 and 440, you can get a good guide online, or a book like onsat.

If you think the HITS feeds look pretty good you, will flip once you get the C-band distribution feeds with the big dish.

The Geosat is a nice dish, since it is ku-band you will get rain fade but it will take harder rain that it would on a dbs type system, a 1.2 would hold up better but still if the rain come down hard you will get cut off, when you get the c-band going you will be good when viewing c-band in heavey rain.

I completed the install of my DSR920 today, mated to a Geosatpro 90 cm dish and a gsl1s lnbf. I subscribed to the X4 package from Skyvision and found out that you cannot get the guide without G1 for download. You can get rehits from ch.440 on X4 though. Now I have to say that I have not seen a picture from a c-band capable receiver in 9+ years and I forgot how good television can look, much better than the little E*** dish that I have been using. The only question unanswered for me is rain fade with the 90cm dish as this is larger than I have been using and I haven't seen any reviews for this dish. Now I need a new actuator arm and a c/ku lnbf and it's on to the big dish.

I have a Primestar 90 cm dish pointed at X4 hooked to my DSR-922. I also have a 12 foot dish for C band as well as a 18" dish on Echo 7. As far as the Primestar dish goes with rain fade. I only seen it shortly once or twice during a monsoon type storm. G-16 (X-4) is pretty hot at 100 watts. Im not sure about the Geosatpro dish's gain vs the Primestar, but am curious about it since I may get one for G-10 ku. I think most of the Comcast HITS channels can take rehits, my hit counter goes up on most of them.

When you get your C band back up you'll be able to get the guide and see what HBO on G-1 looks like in digital. IMO it's the best DC-II digital out there. Still nothing looks as good as a analog backhaul.

Keep us posted on the Geosat's performance.

I started subscribing to the X4 only package just a couple months ago. Using a Primestar oval (40"x30") with the original primestar feedhorn/lnb (the one with the separate H/V outputs). Getting about 95 on the quality according to the 922. Been pretty windy at times, but never lost picture. Since that dish is fixed at G16 and not motorized, it probably has less "play" than a motorized setup. This has allowed me to use the 10 foot dish solely for FTA and I'm loving it!

To work around the guide issue, we're using a Media Center PC which controls the channel changing on the 922. The guide is much better than the 4D guide. Also, since adding the PC to the mix, it also gave us DVR capabilities.

We've been happy with that package for the price. A lot of good channels in there, but missing some of the more common/basic ones. Some people (who have probably never watched any of the channels on X4) will moan and complain about the picture quality. Sure, it isn't going to be anything like the master feeds (which seem to keep dropping off of the home DCII platform), but it isn't bad. You're going to have a trade-off somewhere. For us, it made sense to go this route, but everyone has their own tastes.

Where is G1 Tr 3 located? What's the non-4DTV name? My 6 ft dish has trouble with those western birds, I want to make sure if I can get the right Tr 3 before I get the X4 package. Thanks! Bigger dish is in the plans for later this year again.

Where is G1 Tr 3 located? What's the non-4DTV name? My 6 ft dish has trouble with those western birds, I want to make sure if I can get the right Tr 3 before I get the X4 package. Thanks! Bigger dish is in the plans for later this year again.

Galaxy-15 Transponder 3 4dtv(G1-3).

Where there's a will....

Hi,
My first post here. Thought I'd share this -

I picked up a dsr920 for $6 (well $5 for the dsr + $1 for the remote).
Don't have a BUD - Now what ?

Found the X4 Ku pack offering - tuned in to X4 with 36" x 29" primestar.
Getting 80+ Q. Good so far.
Called Skyvision. Said I need C-Band for the maps.
Also TDT table was maxed out in ds920 - performed master reset.
Now only have 829 channels. Maps really need restoring - so....

Purchased a C-Band LNBF - BSC421
Built a temporary dish with 5' golf umbrella (found in dumpster) - ribs made of fiberglass - formed reflective panels out of aluminum foil and masking tape - don't laugh !
Attached umbrella to an old 18" dish arm - and pointed at G1.
Was getting analog signal from G1-11 (EWTN) and G1-12 (ShopNBC) - both VERY fuzzy.
Tried G1-3 - no Q - shame!
Umbrella very unstable in the wind - even from my sheltered patio.
Fooled with it for several hours.
Happened to leave receiver tuned to G1-13 - had to drive son to soccer at 5.30 pm.
When I got back my channel count had gone up to 4772 - miracle ?
Looked at Q - was getting 11% - still on G1-13
Bit more fiddling with the dish and got it up to an impressive? 13%
Still unable to get any Q on G1-3.

So - it pays to experiment.
Definately try G1-13 if you can't get G1-3 for maps.
Also signal is better after sundown - you probably all knew that.
My location is 37.3N 121.9W - so G1 is relatively close.

I hung the foil umbrella dish in the garage rafters for future.
Until I move out of my condo and get a BUD.
Meanwhile I'm happy with the X4 Ku pack.

p.s. I also replaced the battery in the dsr - original bat was still good but dated 97-06

Status
Please reply by conversation.