X-4 Ku Package on 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You only need g15-3 (g1-3) for the guide, the maps are on any DCII premium distribution feed.

Also if you do get a used system ask the owner to load the latest maps, with a 920 they would need to go do a unplug replug on any channel with map data, the 922 and 905 will just need to be tuned to the proper channel for a minute or two.

I have a BUD, a 920 receiver 4dtv capeable only a c-band lnb on my bud. Do i have to have a ku lnb to map the ku side? I have an old primestar dish and lnb laying around and was going to try x-4. Will my maps be ok to subscribe?

I have a BUD, a 920 receiver 4dtv capeable only a c-band lnb on my bud. Do i have to have a ku lnb to map the ku side? I have an old primestar dish and lnb laying around and was going to try x-4. Will my maps be ok to subscribe?

4dtv maps are C-band only, the 920 aready has them in memory.

Yes, you need a Ku lnb for X4.
primestar dish will work fine - that's what I have.
Most of the original primestar LNBFs have 2 separate outs - 1 for H, 1 for V polarity. You could use 2 cables to the 920. Or you can replace the LNB with one that has polarity switching by 13V/18V.
I found an eagle aspen linear LNB that fits on to the original primestar feedhorn - gives great quality readings from X4.
If you have been tuned in to any digital C-Band channel lately, then the maps should be current.

watching ku on x4

I was so inspired by you guys that I pulled out an old primestar dish and lnb (with one connection for v one for h) and put it up in the back yard. Low and behold with a 920 someone gave me I now have subscribed to the ku only digital package. I love it!

I had cut the strings to cable and pay services years ago. frustrated by the limited control I had on my services. This ku x4 is great. The basic package has everything I want, BBC America and Fox Soccer Channel.

Thanks for the inspiration guys!

General instruments 920 hooked to primestar dish and primestar lnb.
Panasat 3500 free to air satellite on winguard dish, ivacom .3 lnbf

Ya, I now have two buddys that set up a system like this, they are real happy with it, I told them if the channels are remapped they can bring there 4d's over to my place for a update. One has a used 905, the other got a 922 we mapped it at my place and then he set it up at his place, a few other guys I know are thinking about it, pretty neat addition to a dvb only system, and great if you just want movie channels or something a la carte.

I was so inspired by you guys that I pulled out an old primestar dish and lnb (with one connection for v one for h) and put it up in the back yard. Low and behold with a 920 someone gave me I now have subscribed to the ku only digital package. I love it!

I had cut the strings to cable and pay services years ago. frustrated by the limited control I had on my services. This ku x4 is great. The basic package has everything I want, BBC America and Fox Soccer Channel.

Thanks for the inspiration guys!

General instruments 920 hooked to primestar dish and primestar lnb.
Panasat 3500 free to air satellite on winguard dish, ivacom .3 lnbf

So you just have a KU sys? No Cband? And It is working for you?

If so... I'm finding me a 922 somewhere!

(I see you are in KC as well :) )

So you just have a KU sys? No Cband? And It is working for you?

If so... I'm finding me a 922 somewhere!

(I see you are in KC as well :) )

Yes it works great, you do need a 4dtv that has the latest maps loaded, a 905 off ebay should work fine, if you do get a 920 or 922 make sure the tdt count is not maxed out and that the latest maps have been loaded, again there is a little risk if channels are removed or added or rearranged because you need c-band to get the new maps, I am sure if you buy a new 922 from a 4dtv dealer they will load it up for you and authorize it for digital if asked.

tdti1 - thankyou for the info you posted -
You only need g15-3 (g1-3) for the guide, the maps are on any DCII premium distribution feed.

From this I did some experimenting -
I recently upgraded my Ku dish to a primestar 40x30.
Using it for the X4 Ku package. I don't have a BUD.
Since the p* is already on a motor, I tried swapping the Ku LNB for a BSC421 C-Band LNB.
I was able to grab a DC lock quite easily on G5-12.
It only takes me about 45 mins to swap the LNBs in/out.
So now I can update the maps on my dsr920 any time it's needed.

Since the p* is already on a motor, I tried swapping the Ku LNB for a BSC421 C-Band LNB.
Now that's very good thinking! Glad it worked for you!

Al

Hello airgator96,
You read it right. I started out with a ku only system and a pansat 3500, someone gave me an old fiberglass offset dish about a 6 or 7 footer. problem was no feedhorns only c-band. someone else gave me a 920 receiver and with the inspiration here i removed the c-band dish, after loading the latest maps and put up my primestar dish with the original lnb. works like a charm. i don't have a program guide but heck who has with free to air?
programming service never asked a question just got me up and running. I love it. ( I have a friend with a c-band dish for future maps if needed)

tdti1 - thankyou for the info you posted -

From this I did some experimenting -
I recently upgraded my Ku dish to a primestar 40x30.
Using it for the X4 Ku package. I don't have a BUD.

What is the primestar 40x30 equivent to? 90cm or 120cm?
And do you have pictures of the primestar with the c band lnb?

Isn't the guide still on G1-3 though?

For me G5 was a lot easier to DC lock on than G1, especially when I was running my smaller 5' Prime focus dish. It would just so barely do it.

When I was having to fine tune to DC lock with my small dish I'd tweak G1-5 for best picture and give it a shot on G1-3. If you have a VCRS module in the 4DTV you can try fine tuning for G1-19 or G1-21 as well.

I had subbed to the Starz package so I spent a lot of quality time on G5. G1 was much fussier and gave me a lot more picture problems until I upgraded to a larger dish.

Good luck with it!

<edit>I just noticed you were just look'n for maps... that'll do it ;)</edit>

What is the primestar 40x30 equivent to? 90cm or 120cm?
And do you have pictures of the primestar with the c band lnb?

Hi,
Based on the surface area of the 40x30 I equate it to a 90cm.

I didn't take any pictures - and I now have the Ku LNB installed.
But here is a picture I found (think it was on this site) that gave me some inspiration of how to mount the BSC421.
I drilled a hole in the angle plate at the end of the arm on the p*
The hole lines up with one of the threaded holes in the scalar ring,
so that the inner lip of the scalar rests in the half circular notch of the angle plate - where the Ku LNB mounts.

Attachments

• Pict0019.JPG
    Pict0019.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 154
Isn't the guide still on G1-3 though?

For me G5 was a lot easier to DC lock on than G1, especially when I was running my smaller 5' Prime focus dish. It would just so barely do it.

When I was having to fine tune to DC lock with my small dish I'd tweak G1-5 for best picture and give it a shot on G1-3. If you have a VCRS module in the 4DTV you can try fine tuning for G1-19 or G1-21 as well.

I had subbed to the Starz package so I spent a lot of quality time on G5. G1 was much fussier and gave me a lot more picture problems until I upgraded to a larger dish.

Good luck with it!

<edit>I just noticed you were just look'n for maps... that'll do it ;)</edit>

I had a look at G1 while the C-Band LNB was mounted, but wasn't able to get a DC lock.
Got some fuzzy analog pictures on G1-11 and G1-12

I did install my VCRS module and got a VC lock on G5-5
So G5 is definately my strongest sat (I'm at 122°W).
But like you said - I was just lookin for maps.

Update, X4 system:
So far I am satisfied with the results I have gotten with my set up,but I did change out the gsl1s lnbf with my ExtremeII and the quality went up 4 points . I am now getting 76-80 on quality,it was 82-86 before the leafs came out on the nearest tree and dropped to 46 before I removed a limb, so there may be some signal blockage that would require moving the dish. Now the Geosatpro 90 cm dish is,I feel, a very good dish, well built and the elevation scale is accurate. I would buy another if I wasn't in the process of reviving my BUD.

just an update, still enjoying x-4 on my ku only set up. one problem. son came home from college and trying to set up his x box unpluged my 920 and pluged it back in ! I took it well. I didn;t kill him. Now I still have all the channels I subscribe to coming in but no names of channels. It reads like x-4 700, not BBC America x-4 700. Would a rehit on 440 resolve the problem? or am i going to have to take my receiver to my c-band friend?

is there any C band sat between 87 and 103 that can be used to download updated maps to a 920 receiver?

Neighbors trees block G10R and West. So no guide...

I get a great DC lock on Bloomberg. But rehits wont move the counter using that channel.

Status
Please reply by conversation.