X2 Premium wasn't the problem!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
Ever since I got my X2 Premium, I had this problem where some of the channels wouldn't display, or some were breaking up, etc., when I was channel surfing. In order to temporarily resolve the problem I had to cycle power on the X2. Needless to say, I developed quite a hatred for the X2. I had though of running it over with my truck, or maybe a slow death in the microwave on the defrost cycle. A few days ago I reached the end of my patience and I unhooked the X2 Premium, and hooked up my MicroHD. Well guess what ... same problem. It turns out that the problem is my modified WNC 4x8 switch. So I ordered another one on Ebay. So all things considered ... the X2 is innocent. I only paid $50 for the X2 Premium. But I certainly would have regretted it if I had ran it over with my truck (>:{

Maybe the power adapter for the switch was bad, or the power wasn't getting to the switch?

One of the first things I did was check the power adapter. It checked ok without a load. It's possible it could be failing under load I guess. I'll check it again.

Well ... I got my new WNC 4x8 switch today and modified it (13v port to 18v). I mounted it and hooked up the new power supply. Gee ... same old problem that I've been having. During the process of channel surfing some channels no longer display. To temporarily fix the problem, I have to cycle power on the receiver. I also discovered that I can cycle power on the switch which also temporarily resolves the problem too. Here is my wiring diagram:

Micro HD -------- V-Box -------- H-H Motor -------- WNC 4x8 (see detail below)

Ku V Ku H C V C H
WNC Detail ----|---------|----------|----------|----
13 18 18 18

Maybe it's time to try the Zinwell mod?

Maybe you have a bad connector, or pinched coax cable 'notching' out some frequencies. I've seen that happen in my system before. I'd try replacing the short cable from your MicroHd to the V-box first, and continue moving down the line towards your dish as needed.

Maybe it's even as simple as just going to each connector, and giving it a good hand-tightening.

Yeah ... I'm thinking of installing some tee's on the LNB ports of the switch. I'll hook up a couple DVM's there to see exactly what the voltage is doing under load and while switching. That should point me in the right direction. Yes, you're right, there could be a loose connection anywhere. After the kids go to sleep tonight where I can have some peace, I'll check all the connections. Your expert guidance and suggestions are always appreciated!

Status
Please reply by conversation.