X4 package/dish deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Can somebody bring me up to date on that small dish/x4 programming deal that tried to start up a few months back? I forgot who had it, skyvision? No mention of it now on their website...did that project collapse? Last I heard those channels went over to C-band and there was talk of reprogramming the boxes' channel maps. That ever happen?

I think they're still working on the change-over. You might say it's a "Not So Desirable Package" now. Not knocking the move to C-Band, as I have the capabillities. But, most people who bought those boxes intended to use them for X4 programming with their under C-Band size dish. Now they will have a major overhaul to get the same C-Band package...? It's not Skyvision or Programming Centers (SRL) fault, the fault is with Comcast.

I just had forgotten about that deal, it seemed to fall off the charts here after they mentioned that comcast was moving hits or whatever to c-band. Don't think that the co who bought all those used boxes didn't consider the programming might move or switch freq, so hopefully you are correct, and it's just taking awhile to get the equip re-programmed. I'm glad now that I didn't jump for it at the start, but I still think it would be a money-maker for some company. And a good alternative source of subscription tv for some of us.

It's a shame, that was a small dish option that did not consist of the typical pizza pan companies.

That X4 deal would have been great for my mom. She has digital local channels with a yagi UHF antenna I installed with here digital tv's.

I got her a 7.5' sami with c/ku lnbfs, V-box 4, fortec ultra, DSR-905 sidecar.

She is good to go now.

That x4 would have been great for her. It contained everything she likes in the subscription tv line.

just wonder out loud as to if the leftover X4 subs will be refunded if you dont have cband capabilities.

Hard to say. I think most programing vendors have a clause in their agreement that lets them not offer any refunds on programming. I think of course the right thing to do would be credit people back something to their credit/bank cards. A real disappointment. Comcast is part of the "media giants" so this does not surprise me.

They would probably rather have everyone on "cable".

Hits 2 Home

I think another reason they may be discontinuing ku band service is that since it requires a satellite dish - some people may say "Hey.....Why didn't we just get satellite tv" instead of cable.

comcast may have changed compression schemes to stuff more low quality video on their coax.

Cable tv slogans should read "One wire............Super compression" 1,000,000,000 channels with 1 ms/s bandwidth. Stellar resolution.

Comcast is part of the "media giants" so this does not surprise me.

I have a love hate relationship for Comcast. I hate that they pull stuff like that, but you have to love (or at least like) them because they are allowing the 4DTV subsribers to purchase there HITS channels. If it wasn't for the HITS feeds be it on X4 or W5 there would be very slim pickins left for us to sub too. Look at what MTV networks, NBC universal and ESPN/Disney did. They won't offer us the masters although they will work with the 4D. If it wasn't for HITS we would have lost more then the ABC/Disney/ESPN channels.

you can use a 6 foot dish and get excellent results on W5 and those channels...and no rain fade :D

I was listening to Mike Kohl last night on dishnuts audio. He was saying he's putting up a 5 foot for W5, like to hear the results of that one.

You can hear Mike every Sunday night at 9pm central Dishnuts Website
You can listen to the past shows here. Index of /shows Mike is on in the 3rd hour of the show for a few months now.

On most of the channels I got +8.0 to +9.0 with the 6 footer

It would be nice to see how the 5 footer works out :)

That w5 sat is so strong I would hazzard to guess that a 1.2 m dish would lock it without rain fade. I can have my 10' dish off axis a mile and get a good signal on that one. Remember this big dish as a 1.7 degree beamwidth on C band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)